News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Next up on the U.S. Open tee: Chambers Bay
« on: June 16, 2014, 11:02:54 AM »
Seattle Times article on the U.S. Open baton being passed to Chambers Bay:

http://seattletimes.com/html/golf/2023854293_usopenchambersbay16xml.html

Excited to see the venue in the spotlight?

Worried about condition of the greens?

Curious about how the pros take to it? 

The American golfing public still won't 'get' firm & fast?

Will be a letdown after Pinehurst?

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Garland Bayley

Re: Next up on the U.S. Open tee: Chambers Bay
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 11:09:52 AM »
Chambers Bay will shine.

No way it is a letdown after Pinehurst.

The American public will be enthralled.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 11:13:05 AM »
I haven't played it, so I really don't have an opinion.  All I can offer is a conversation I had with Peter Uihlein after he won the Amateur there.  He thought it was a real eye-opener for him.  If it's a real eye-opener for him, I think there will be some wild reactions on both sides when we watch next year.  I remember a lot of crazy bounces and runouts, which amused me but seemed to frustrate the players, much in the same manner that we witnessed this week at Pinehurst.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »
I dont think it will be a let down either. I liked the fact that you cant go at pins. you have to play the banks on the side of the greens or to a certain spot on the green. My caddie was telling me to hit it at places that I never would have without his guidance.

I cant wait to see what distance they play it from. The caddie told me they can really stretch it out.

The course seemed very viewer friendly for the patrons as well.

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 11:44:23 AM »
I'm not as sure about whether Chambers will be patron friendly.  It was a hard walk, and that's mostly from the middle of the fairways.  Walking through the dunes is hard and somewhat dangerous work.

On the distance, Davis never taps out the course all the way, so even though it can stretch to probably upwards of 8,000, I doubt they ever play it beyond 7,500.  He'll mix up tee boxes each day, as he did this weekend.  #15 will play 250 one day and 150 the next day.  I've never seen a course with more flexibility to stretch.  I played the furthest tees that were set up on one day, and there were almost always one or two sets of tees behind me that were unmarked, but could have been used.  I measured the boxes we played to about 7,200.  So, clearly, there's room to play around and put the guys on different tee boxes almost every day.

On the grass, I think there's a fair chance that there are bare spots where the fescue just doesn't take, but it shouldn't impact the playability of the course.  Clearly brown spots are of no concern to the USGA based on this weekend, so I'm not sure it'll be a big deal.

Has the makings of a much more interesting course than Pinehurst to the TV viewer though with more up and down and views of the water and trains.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 11:47:59 AM »
Matt,
I just meant that you can walk around the top of the course since it was in the quarry or whatever it is. My family walked around the perimeter of course while I played- I agree the walking paths inside the course seemed rather extreme though.

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 11:49:43 AM »
Agreed, there will certainly be fantastic views to be had.  I think it will be more of a sit and watch course for spectators though rather than a course where you can follow a group around the course.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 12:41:43 PM »
Should be great. Interesting course that will hopefully (weather permitting) cntinue to show firm and fast to the public, but with a lot more visual definition than P#2, which is good on TV. Plus, the prime time opens are just a ton of fun.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 02:58:29 PM »
I think it will be a home run, especially if the weather is nice -- the combination of course, mountains, water, and sun (and trains) will make for great TV visuals.  I think the golf will be interesting, and bet there will be just enough controversy (either about conditioning or fairness or both) to drive stories and attention.

Paul Gray

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 03:10:52 PM »
I confess to near complete ignorance regarding Chambers Bay (insert insult accordingly  ;D). Any reviews anywhere?
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Howard Riefs

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 03:22:39 PM »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 03:27:03 PM »
I confess to near complete ignorance regarding Chambers Bay (insert insult accordingly  ;D). Any reviews anywhere?

Glad you asked! ;)

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48959.0.html
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Paul Gray

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 03:32:38 PM »
Gents,

Many thanks.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Richard Choi

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 03:51:08 PM »
I hope to produce a comprehensive write up of Chambers Bay for the open (by next March or so). There has been numerous changes to the course since the most of the write ups.

I am confident that US Open will be successful and conditioning issues will be minimized. The course was in worse shape before the AM and it looked and played pretty well for the AM. The quality of the final pairings should give a clue about how qualified this course is. The final eight were eight of the best amateurs around. I expect something similar for US OPEN.

Matt does bring up a very good point about crowd control.

Most of the dunes surrounding the holes are quite steep and covered with very slippery fescue. My wife fell down several times while walking around the am and it will be ten times worse for the open. If you are planning on going, you should really wear golf or other shoes with spikes. Crowd control will be difficult, even though due to the same dunes, there will be numerous great vantage points on the course to watch the action

Jud_T

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 04:02:43 PM »
The amateur was awesome viewing at CB, I just hope they don't dial it down too much because some felt the setup for the Amateur was OTT.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 04:04:26 PM »
I enjoyed a chilly but wonderful round at Chambers Bay with Wine Valley architect Dan Hixson.  Thoroughly enjoyed the golf course.  It will be an exciting Open venue.  I think the work that has been undertaken over the past couple of years was necessary and good in the long term.

There is a lot of setup flexibility, which is awesome and something the USGA used to great advantage at Pinehurst.  The physical setting of Chambers Bay is second to none!  Transportation in and out could be tough.  Are they doing ferries?  I heard that plans for train service had been scrapped - too bad, if true.

The turf is firm, with a good deal of elevation change that should make for great shotmaking options.  What are the prevailing winds in June in Tacoma?

I thought Pinehurst No. 2 was a GRAND SLAM.  The course was killer.  Kaymer took some of the thrill out of the action, but his play was something to behold.  The course produced a solid leaderboard and the champion is a previous major winner and current Player's champion, so the cream certainly rose.

Can't wait for next year!

Matthew Essig

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 10:33:41 PM »
The physical setting of Chambers Bay is second to none!  Transportation in and out could be tough.  Are they doing ferries?  I heard that plans for train service had been scrapped - too bad, if true.

-Train service WILL BE used. Ferries/Cruise ship ideas scrapped.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Mark Pearce

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 03:32:06 AM »
Butch Harmon was pretty vocal on Sky TV in the UK over the weekend.  He described Chambers Bay as a strange choice of venue and told viewers they weren't going to like it.  Having enjoyed coverage of the US Am, I think he's wrong but it was a surprise to hear a commentator commeting so negatively about a course.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Pat Burke

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 03:56:39 AM »
I have not been to Chambers.  I also know there has been a lot of renovation work.

So, from a point of ignorance.
During the US Am, the views were pretty striking.  So for TV, it should provide a pretty darned good canvas.

Watching the am, there were times when approach shots all seemed to be collecting in to one spot.
A couple of greens were like bathtubs.  Where ever a shot landed, it rolled around until it rested in the bottom (drain)
of the tub.  I would assume the speeds were extreme, but I have faith in the USGA getting out of control with things.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 07:55:11 AM »
I was able to walk the perimeter and about 20% of the course.  I thought the course has a great vibe and will pose a great test.   The only thing that looked different to me was the grey (versus beige or brown) color of the sand.  Obviously, this isn't a factor in the GCA.   

I'm actually more concerned about logistics.  Having seen the work done at Merion last year, I don't know where they'll put the huge tented cities - will they use the park over to the South end?   And I'd imagine that almost all transportation would need to be by train because driving on a benign Tuesday morning without traffic was tough (small streets, lots of stop signs, etc).

Steve Lang

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 10:59:22 AM »
 8)  I enjoyed the AM coverage because we've played CB, but Butch may have a point for those that haven't been there unless they have a  topo map in hand and know how to read it.

I do not think the pros will like the hike.

i do not think the locals or visitors will like the traffic jamming around the venue.  The train will definitely help.. but how many people are attending?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sean Leary

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »
Isn't the traffic at nearly every US Open venue an issue? Pebble Beach and Shinnecock aren't exactly easy to get in and out of.

I do not think it will be as brown as this year's was, weather dependent. It is 52 and raining here in Seattle right now. US Am was at the end of summer.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 06:29:14 PM »
I think the consensus was that the best players advanced to the very end at the US Am which is certainly what it is all about.  I think the same has to be said about Pinehurst that the player who won was clearly playing the best and deserved to win.  Now having played Chambers Bay I thoroughly enjoyed the course but I don't think that Bubba is going to like it any more than he did Pinehurst.  I haven't seen the renovations but clearly the greens were designed to be firm and a good shot does not necessarily mean that it is high and soft. If you watched the Am you saw how the players learned the best way to play the course and got better and better as the week went on.  Of course the moisture in the area will make it look greener and the views will add eye appeal.  At Pinehurst the logistics were great but I cannot imagine that it will be anywhere near as easy at CB and without a clubhouse it will also be a real challenge.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 11:54:37 PM »
Butch Harmon was pretty vocal on Sky TV in the UK over the weekend.  He described Chambers Bay as a strange choice of venue and told viewers they weren't going to like it.  Having enjoyed coverage of the US Am, I think he's wrong but it was a surprise to hear a commentator commeting so negatively about a course.

Funny you say that because when I was at the Am, I ran into Dottie Pepper and she said it was her least favorite course she had ever been to. Never had the chance to ask her why.....
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Steve Lang

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 07:43:18 AM »
 8) Matthew,

When you met Dottie P at CB, was she checking out the course for TV coverage? I remember her at the SHO following groups with a camera crew some hers ago...  very real, some would say blunt, about things when talking to her..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back