News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

A "Not-A-Links," also known as a "Faux Links," is a course located on linksland that is not a links. This is due to poor choices of grasses and / or poor practices in greenkeeping. The term was coined by Malcolm Campbell, co-author with George Peper of a book documenting links around the world, who was / is concerned with meadow grasses invading links courses -- and greenkeepers actively cultivating such grasses.

How do Donald Trump's Twitter comments regarding Pinehurst No. 2 shed light on the prospects for his first Scottish course (TI) ever developing into a links? Currently it is not a links. It is a Not-A-Links. Previous posts have expressed hope that eventually TI will become a links.

And what is the likelihood of Turnberry Ailsa becoming a Not-A-Links?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Niall C

Re: What risk does Turnberry face of turning into a Not-A-Links?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 08:06:16 AM »
Mark

I'd heard the comments about the use of rye grass at Balmedie and assumed that it was all over however a recent magazine article/advert suggested it was just on the paths between green and tee. Does anyone know if that is true ? If it is then I think you can safely say Balmedie International is a links, it's just not nearly as good as Mr Trump would have you believe.

Niall

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 12:31:55 PM »
Mark

I'd heard the comments about the use of rye grass at Balmedie and assumed that it was all over however a recent magazine article/advert suggested it was just on the paths between green and tee. Does anyone know if that is true ? If it is then I think you can safely say Balmedie International is a links, it's just not nearly as good as Mr Trump would have you believe.

Niall

I would call the course a links.  However the rye grass was dominant in many of the fairways a year ago this week, and I would wager lots of money that it is not all gone.  What magazine said otherwise, and how many ads have they sold to Mr. Trump?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 12:42:16 PM »
Mark

Niall

Whichever magazine wrote that is flat out wrong. There was a certain amount of deliberately over seeded rye in fairways 8 and 9 on opening week in 2012, and by September of last year, most fairways were predominantly rye up to the point where they transitioned from seeded to turfed grass. The areas that were turfed have always been pristine fescue (and bent, in greens). This came about because the seeded fescue had not established sufficiently when the course opened, and took a pounding during the first season (and the winter of 2012-13).

They have stated that a programme of overseeding fescue into the rye started last summer and that, once that fescue has started to establish, they will look to kill off the rye. I haven't been this year, but I'm as certain as I can be there will be a _lot_ of rye this year.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back