News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Bass

Pinehurst > Chambers > Oakmont
« on: June 15, 2014, 07:26:41 PM »
Re: U.S. Open:  Pinehurst this year.  Chambers in 2015.  I see a potential trend.  Could Oakmont be anything but thick and green in 2016?  (Ha! That rhymes.)

Nigel Islam

Re: Pinehurst > Chambers > Oakmont
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 07:40:03 PM »
I think you could play Oakmont with minimal rough and get a winner at 272. Having had the great fortune to play both, I would say that as great as I think Pinehurst is, it is a notch below Oakmont.

Ryan Bass

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 07:44:31 PM »
I think you could play Oakmont with minimal rough and get a winner at 272. Having had the great fortune to play both, I would say that as great as I think Pinehurst is, it is a notch below Oakmont.

Yeah, absolutely.  And those weren't meant to be "greater than" signs but rather arrows (I guess that didn't work out).  I've haven't played at any of the above courses.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:50:31 PM »

And north of the Mason-Dixon line, to boot!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Nigel Islam

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 07:54:36 PM »
I think the Open at Chambers likely will be quite firm and fast as the Am was. It should be interesting.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:10:38 PM »
Firm & fast continues with Erin Hils in 2017
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ryan Bass

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 09:18:50 PM »
Firm & fast continues with Erin Hils in 2017

Great observation!  I played Erin last year for the first time, in August.  While it was NOT playing firm and fast that day, I could easily appreciate the potential for a great U.S. Open setup.  I recall some excellent risk/reward situations as well on a variety of holes of various lengths and par.

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 09:25:56 PM »
Shinnecock was pretty firm and fast last time, no?

The rubber hitting the road will be what they do with Torrey Pines.

And, how soon they announce a return to Pinehurst, with fresh mini-dwarf greens.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 05:19:02 PM »

Well said, and I couldn't agree more. I certainly love Pinehurst, but Oakmont just has a feel to it that makes me think it would be a fantastic test and a wonderful championship venue regardless of set up.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

mike_beene

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 05:37:12 PM »
I love both Pinehurst and Oakmont.I don't see how you can compare them or rank them.They are different and each one is your favorite when you are there.

hhuffines

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 09:00:36 PM »
Will the USGA hold a competition at Pinehurst on bermuda greens or schedule around new bent greens? 

Jim Nugent

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 02:27:35 AM »
Wonder how Oakmont would play for the pros in the US Open, if it had no rough at all, with real F&F conditions?

Jack Parrish

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 09:03:48 AM »
I don't think that would be possible since there are so few trees on the course. It would be interesting to see what the site would look like without any of the tall fescue and everything being fairway height, though.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 01:43:28 PM »
The main difference I'm looking forward to observing next year is the much more drastic landscape of Chambers Bay vs. a Pinehurst or Oakmont.  I've been to all three courses (only played 2 of them), but Chambers has much more elevation change and and is just a much bigger course comparatively to those two and most other courses in the Open rota.  Should be intriguing to say the least

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back