News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Hit and Miss: New stat at Pinehurst
« on: June 15, 2014, 05:45:33 PM »
Four days of watching apparently serviceable shots hitting greens only to be cast aside, down slopes and sometimes into bunkers has me looking for a "hit but missed" stat. It's gotten to the point that shots that stay close to where they're hit on the green is a more random result than a hit and miss. And this is happening on greens that are not on the edge of death. I shudder to think what the scores would be if the USGA let the greens dry out.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

RJ_Daley

Re: Hit and Miss: New stat at Pinehurst
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »
Like they say, they all play the same course.  Now, if those deflected bounds and rolls off the greens went into thick surrounding rough, then it seems it would be very one-dimensional and somewhat boring.  But, that is the greatness of the Ross "hummocks and hollows" (and MacKenzie's) into either short clipped surrouns or sand?   The players get to make choices of how to make the up-and-down, or make make it outright, from off the green. 

Clearly, Kaymer made the most of the option to putt them from off the greens more often than most all the other players.  He seems to have more confidence in his touch, or embraces the choice factor.  How many probable bogeys did he avoid with the putt from the fringes and the up-and-down vs chips that don't get close enough to can the downer?  I know that isn't possible to say for sure, but he did it his way...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

BCowan

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 09:49:04 PM »
If they go to UD greens they are going to have to slow the green speeds down.  If those greens would have been hard, it would of been a nightmare.  The contours are so bold and gravity should be used.  The launch angle of their short irons on #9 was awesome. 

John McCarthy

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 09:51:05 PM »
Daley:  Kaymer putted more than anyone else this week that I saw.  Obviously it was a winning strategy.  
  A lot of ladies also putt a lot around the greens
  I think they will have more success than the 60 deg. Wedge set.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

BHoover

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 09:54:01 PM »
If they go to UD greens they are going to have to slow the green speeds down.  If those greens would have been hard, it would of been a nightmare.  The contours are so bold and gravity should be used.  The launch angle of their short irons on #9 was awesome.  

Are you saying those greens weren't firm? You were there, I wasn't, so you'd know better than I would. BU those greens sure seemed to be firm from what I saw.

Johnny Miller called for the domed greens to be replaced. I believe he called them unfair. Not sure I agree with him.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 10:03:23 PM »
Replace the greens?  The false fronts, backs and sides of those greens amounted to the ONLY meaningful defense at this championship. This course has more false fronts than a Hooters swimsuit competition, but they would've killed the course without the penal turtle backs.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

BCowan

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 10:10:39 PM »
If they go to UD greens they are going to have to slow the green speeds down.  If those greens would have been hard, it would of been a nightmare.  The contours are so bold and gravity should be used.  The launch angle of their short irons on #9 was awesome.  

Are you saying those greens weren't firm? You were there, I wasn't, so you'd know better than I would. BU those greens sure seemed to be firm from what I saw.

Johnny Miller called for the domed greens to be replaced. I believe he called them unfair. Not sure I agree with him.

I didn't think they were firm on Thur., that was the only day I was there.  What happens is the edges become magnified when running 12 on the stimp.  I didn't see today's golf, was driving all day.  I'd imagine it was firmer for the weekend.  Even Johnny gets it wrong, he must love the ''Green Speeds Arms race''.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 10:24:24 PM »
Four days of watching apparently serviceable shots hitting greens only to be cast aside, down slopes and sometimes into bunkers has me looking for a "hit but missed" stat. It's gotten to the point that shots that stay close to where they're hit on the green is a more random result than a hit and miss. And this is happening on greens that are not on the edge of death. I shudder to think what the scores would be if the USGA let the greens dry out.

Terry someone within the USGA must have had the same question, as each day there was a volunteer assigned at the greens recording every approach as a) missed green b) hit green and held c) hit green and rolled off.  I never saw final stats and wonder what is done with the data.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 10:45:26 PM »
I was at the tournament and hadn't been to #2 for 25 years and the greens didn't seem to me to be over the top with respect to slopes, etc.
There were some greens where you had to play to the center but it just meant you couldn't attack a flag.  I think 6 played the most havoc that I saw but it was playing around 235 yards down wind with a back flag - anything pin high went off the back and a lots of players missed it left.  5 was interesting as I thought the best strategy was to play just short of the green and then chip or putt it up close for birdie. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back