News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

I have no idea if what I am going to type in the next paragraph is true, so why not do it anyway on a widely read website?!  ;D

In 2006, I have always imagined that Tiger saw the POSSIBILITIES and accepted the challenges when he showed up at the burnt-out Hoylake. As one of the two greatest long iron players of all time, Tiger formulated a tactical game plan capitalizing on those superb, fast running conditions. Other competitors saw the state of the turf and were FEARSTRUCK that they would be unable to control their golf ball. Tiger played to his strength and expertly used the conditions to separate himself from the field, producing a magical performance.

Yesterday at Pinehurst I saw a parched golf course with a sublime multi-colored playing surface. I spent all afternoon there and the course is in EXQUISITE condition, literally perfect. The tawny-colored WIDE fairways are brick hard and nearly crackle under foot. There are innumerable what I call ‘moments of tension’ around these infamous greens. Some balls on the margin stay up while others slowly, painfully yield to gravity and topple down the slopes. Importantly though, some stay up. That ideal balance is difficult to achieve but Bob Farren and his entire crew have done a fabulous job.

I couldn’t help but be reminded of Hoylake and I have no doubt that ~ half of the field is already wigged out. On the second hole I saw one competitor in the right bunker unable to hit the a recovery shot to a (imaginary) far right hole location that remained on the green. He went 0 for 4. That man is toast – and the US Open hasn’t even begun. Undaunted (indeed, inspired) by the fire-y course conditions, someone steely will emerge – I can’t wait to see who it is.

Much goes into preparing a course and yet, the course’s playing qualities remain in the lap of the gods. At Merion last year, everything was perfect and then huge rainstorms ensued prior to play. The course recovered magnificently but not all the way. So far Mother Nature has been much kinder this year. We have been fortunate that two late afternoon thunderstorms have blown over on consecutive days. The weather forecast is less than ideal today but as of this moment, the stage is set; Pinehurst No. 2 is in absolute peak condition to test the very best. I can’t imagine it has ever been in better. No other US Open set-up has come close to its appeal, at least to me. How about you?

We are all very lucky to have ringside seats for an event of such historic appeal.

Best,

Mike Sweeney

Here is Tom Paul's old section about maintenance meld:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/tom-paul-april-2012-part-2-page-4/

The danger is obviously having a Shinnecock moment if it gets too edgy. It sounds like a few afternoon storms which I assume the course can handle.

I was amazed at a few pictures yesterday, it looks like a British Open style inland/heath course, if they ever decided to play The Open inland...

Ran Morrissett

Mike,

Agreed - some rain here and there is no issue at all.

In particular yesterday, I was struck by Pinehurst's killer set of par 3s; I wonder if they might break a record for most over par as a set? I thought Merion's might but wasn't its tiny 13th the easiest hole on the course last year?

Pinehurst only has two par 5s for the event and most of the field can't reach the 10th. So without some birdie holes ... the players need to pull on their big boy britches today.

Best,

Mark Bourgeois

"TOUR players are very, very good but two things they have a difficult time overcoming are strong winds and gravity." -- David Eger
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Ian Andrew

I'm finding much of the mainstream media (up here) is complaining about a course they don't understand and clearly have not done their research on. They question the changes to the course, particularly the loss of rough, the point problems that will come with rulings and think saving water is unnecessary.

My one question since I've been ridiculously busy this week, "Did the USGA ever make a major statement/announcement about "SUSTAINABILITY" leading up to this event? This was supposed to be the moment where they talked about sustainability, which included changes in attitudes towards what is great conditioning right through to a conversation on distance control.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

A.G._Crockett

Very positive comments in the Atlanta paper today from both B. Watson, McIlroy, and Mickelson about the course.  On the other hand, there is a column that might give one the impression that maintenance of the course has largely ceased, or at least been greatly reduced.

My hope and cautious prediction is that the tournament will be a huge success, and in no small part because of both the restored layout AND the look.

Fingers crossed...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Wade Whitehead

But will it even be playable on Sunday, June 22?  A US Open visits the course that day, too.

WW

Jim_Kennedy

The grass is brown, the sandy areas are scruffy, the greens are firm, and I'm viewing Open golf in the morning - Did I miss a month?  ;D

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

BCrosby

I'm finding much of the mainstream media (up here) is complaining about a course they don't understand and clearly have not done their research on. They question the changes to the course, particularly the loss of rough, the point problems that will come with rulings and think saving water is unnecessary.

My one question since I've been ridiculously busy this week, "Did the USGA ever make a major statement/announcement about "SUSTAINABILITY" leading up to this event? This was supposed to be the moment where they talked about sustainability, which included changes in attitudes towards what is great conditioning right through to a conversation on distance control.

Ian -

A group of us helped to put on a forum here on the architecture of P2. The panel included C&C, Brad Klein, Bob Ferren (the P2 super) and Mike Davis. The press was there also and, at least for those present, it should have been clear that the sustainability of P2 is a big part of why the C&C changes were made. Water usage has been reduced by something like 65%. Irrigation heads have been reduced by a like percentage. The "sandscapes" will need less maintenance than traditional rough. At the conclusion of the the Opens in two weeks, when they will change out the greens to ultra-dwarfs, the greens should also require less upkeep on a day-to-day basis.

More importantly, it is hoped that the different approach to maintenance will to serve as a model for other courses in America. Though no one said so, P2 is an anti-Augusta statement.

The win/win here is that you get the benefits of improved sustainability with a course that plays superbly, as Ran notes above.

These are ambitious goals. It will be interesting to see if they can be achieved.

Bob  

Sean Remington (SBR)

Wonderful set up by Ran. Has me on the edge of my seat and ready for the first shot to be hit.

Along with identiying the player who most deserves to win this week.  This Open is being used by the USGA and others behind the scene to draw the line in the sand.  The days of maintenance excess are over.  Not for the US Open maybe for for sure the rest of us.  It's ALL about water and the future availability of and cost of and use of water.  These two weeks will be used to set the tone in the discussion of how a golf course should be maintained for the next 30 years.  This is Golf's Climate Change Summit equivalent and I'm sorry to tell all the true golf fans that the winners are not the big story.  So while I am as excited about all the stuff we talk about here on GCA I know there is a bigger objective at stake.

Ian Andrew

The win/win here is that you get the benefits of improved sustainability with a course that plays superbly, as Ran notes above.
These are ambitious goals. It will be interesting to see if they can be achieved.

Ambitious, perhaps, but necessary if we will continue to play in certain areas of the country.

I always liked Geoff Shackelford's comment regarding one of the environmental debates of the past (not sure which debate it was part of - I'm getting old), rather than debate the validity of the science, he said why don't we simply do what's right.

I have taken that comment to heart and shared that with every club I work with.
I'm hopeful that this effects change, not only in design, but to golfers attitudes too.

The Aussies have always been light years ahead on what's important and what is not when it comes to golf
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Don Mahaffey

It is usually stated that we in golf do as the public wants us to do, so the premise is we hope the public accepts P2 as it is presented this week.
I see it differently. I believe the most important question is, will we in golf accept what we see, and then lead the way?

Charlie Gallagher

Ran,
   I am so happy about your report. Robert Hunter said short grass was the best defense and we are about to see the truth of that which is proven at places like Wolf Point, Ballybunion, and now PH#2.
   I have become really sick of the boring set up that I have seen in 39 US Opens since my first at Medina in 1975. 25 yard fairways and 5 inch rough make for  tedious viewing. I have far more fun watching creativity in guys like Seve  (RIP) and Tom Watson, than I do at encountering the sloggy marathon the US national championship has become. About time some one presented a new type of challenge.
    I am expecting that if it stays firm, it is going to be one hell of a feat to get very much under par. Bomb has not been taken away by PH #2, but gouge has been, at least for this week. Having been in the unmaintained areas at Pinehurst myself I can personally attest to the vagaries presented by variable surfaces, foot prints, wire grass and pine needles. The approaches and recoveries require precision and acceptance. I don't know who will win, but he and she will have to mentally embrace the sometimes apparent randomness.
    So be it. American golf needs a lot more of Pinehurst #2 and a lot less of the typical lush country club set up that limits strategy and option.
    Thanks for presenting your assessment.

Bill Brightly

Here's an email that I sent to a dozen of my best friends at my club, a typical parkland course lined by thick rough, and a typical membership that wants everything green and manicured. (Yes, I do not mind leading with my chin!)

Are you guys PSYCHED for the fast and firm conditions we’ll get to see this weekend at the US Open?

Coore & Crenshaw eliminated all the rough and the outside sprinkler lines at Pinehurst #2. They created fairways that are incredibly wide, but flanked by scrub areas (planted here and there with sprigs of wiregrass) that will produce completely unpredictable lies. Running fairways will be the enemy of the bombers, not typical five inch US Open rough with ridiculously narrowed fairways.

After seeing all the brown, a reporter said to Bill Coore:  “I guess you’re hoping for some rain.” Coore responded: “No, the opposite. Why?” The man responded: “to get grass growing on all of the brown spots.”

This will be an eye opener for all of my soft, cushy, parkland country club golfing friends. This is the future: 50% less water usage and far less time and money spent pursuing pristine fairways and manicured roughs. Width creates angles, options, problems and FUN. Short grass can be a hazard.  Brown is beautiful!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 10:24:46 AM by Bill Brightly »

Jud_T

Watching this is awesome.  I feel like I'm watching a British Open on U.S. soil.  Phil goes with a lofted wedge from greenside and semi-skulls it over the green off a tight lie.  Guys using my patented fairway metal to chip with.  Now if we could just order up a 2 club wind this'll get really interesting!  Kudos to the Super and his staff.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

BHoover

Here's an email that I sent to a dozen of my best friends at my club, a typical parkland course lined by thick rough, and a typical membership that wants everything green and manicured. (yes, I do not mind leading with my chin!)

Are you guys PSYCHED for the fast and firm conditions we’ll get to see this weekend at the US Open?

Coore & Crenshaw eliminated all the rough and the outside sprinkler lines at Pinehurst #2. They created fairways that are incredibly wide, but flanked by scrub areas (planted here and there with sprigs of wiregrass) that will produce completely unpredictable lies. Running fairways will be the enemy of the bombers, not typical five inch US Open rough with ridiculously narrowed fairways.

After seeing all the brown, a reporter said to Bill Coore:  “I guess you’re hoping for some rain.” Coore responded: “No, the opposite. Why?” The man responded: “to get grass growing on all of the brown spots.”

I might have to borrow this email for my own friends.

This will be an eye opener for all of my soft, cushy, parkland country club golfing friends. This is the future: 50% less water usage and far less time and money spent pursuing pristine fairways and manicured roughs. Width creates angles, options, problems and FUN. Short grass can be a hazard.  Brown is beautiful!

Terry Lavin

Early on, the combo of ability to advance the ball out of the native and the relative receptiveness of the greens is leading to good scoring. I'm sure things may firm up, but I can't believe the USGA will take many chances with firming up the greens, in light of the upcoming women's championship.  So far, the old gal is very welcoming, indeed.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 10:49:43 AM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Phil McDade

At the risk of inciting a riot among the GCA readership that always seems to criticize the TV broadcasters, the acclaim for the set-up has been universal, from what I've heard -- Strange, Azinger (who mentioned water/maintenance savings), North, Pepper (who played collegiately in the South) all are of the view that this is a terrific set-up with a different challenge than most past US Opens.

Terry Lavin

At the risk of inciting a riot among the GCA readership that always seems to criticize the TV broadcasters, the acclaim for the set-up has been universal, from what I've heard -- Strange, Azinger (who mentioned water/maintenance savings), North, Pepper (who played collegiately in the South) all are of the view that this is a terrific set-up with a different challenge than most past US Opens.

They keep mentioning Hoylake, which is predictable, but completely off-base.  Every shot from the fairway at the Hoylake Open brought up a cloud of dust.  And it was really yellow/brown, very little green in the fairways.  I don't think even the USGA is that down with brown, not that there's anything wrong with that...
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Brett Hochstein

I've noticed this as well and have been wondering if I'm crazy in not hearing anything really negative yet.  I hope it continues.  We still have NBC coming up though...
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Kevin Lynch

I've noticed this as well and have been wondering if I'm crazy in not hearing anything really negative yet.  I hope it continues.  We still have NBC coming up though...

I wouldn't read too much into that.  I'm sure the praise was equally positive in 1999 and 2005. 

Regardless of whether the broadcasters are biased or precluded from negativity, at least having some people articulate the "beauty" of something that isn't verdant green may plant a seed in the minds of the casual viewer.  The spotlight coverage on USGA.com (for Mickelson's group) did a great job of explaining the virtues of the firmer conditions and the transition areas. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back