News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

Many courses back in the day had single line irrigation then added more lines to water the course wall to wall.

Based on the 2014 US Open will there now be a trend toward less irrigation if there isn't a trend already?

thank you
It's all about the golf!

Mark Smolens

55 million gallons of water reduced to 15 million (at least that's what they said in this morning's Tour Confidential)? Sounds like a plan to me...

Mark_Fine

It is "how you use" the irrigation system you have more so than if it is single row or not.  Sometimes it is useful just to be able to syringe the grass to cool it vs. water it.  If you have a single row you are very limited what you can do.

Anthony_Nysse

What about all these courses that are required to use reclaim water and by contract/law, have to use X00,000 gallons a day or be fined? There are 2 directions that golf is and can go with water. Waste Water treatment plants LOVE golf courses (at least ours does) because we make their reclaim water program work. They actually need us to use more water, so it doesn't go to waste.

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Keith Phillips

Loved the look of #2, but it is only mid-June and I wonder how the 'outer turf' will survive a hot summer?  If money were no object, wouldn't it be preferable to use a more extensive system, albeit with the water applied sparingly to achieve consistent yellow/brown conditions?

MClutterbuck

Many courses back in the day had single line irrigation then added more lines to water the course wall to wall.

Based on the 2014 US Open will there now be a trend toward less irrigation if there isn't a trend already?

thank you

Single line irrigation does not equal less water. Theoretically, you could use less water with a more comprehensive set of irrigation heads. A single line wastes water in the middle.

The question is, will more courses have the discipline to water less?

Don Mahaffey

There are very few courses that can get by with single row, but most could get by with a lot less irrigation.

Waste water treatment plants do love golf courses, but that is not the only use for waste water, and certainly not a reason to water more then needed.

For as long as I've been in golf, I've heard this theory, that now seems to be set in concrete, that more heads = less water. I have come to the conclusion that it is the biggest myth in golf. But, as the Pinehirst water use debate moves along, expect to hear that more = less from many.

But, no matter what your system, the best way to save water is to make the commitment to save water. It is a lot more about attitude then it is about engineering.

Single row works at Pinehurst because of their soil, their climate, and their grass, but mostly they make it work. And it is not because they have an army of hose draggers watering the edges. Anyone who thinks all that bermuda is dead needs to visit Pinehurst in 6 weeks.

Before we had plant growth regulators we used to dry down before overseed to give the rye a chance to establish. It was not uncommon to not irrigate anything for 3 weeks, in AZ, in 100+ degree heat with no rain and little humidity. Even then, if we had a warm fall the bermuda would often come back and chock out the rye. It was a race to the first frost and even when we practally dried out the bermuda to the point of drying up and blowing away, it came right back.

William_G

thanks for all the insight from everyone, the irrigation issue is definitely complex, LOL
It's all about the golf!

Mike_Young

If you really want to control water usage, then drop the size of the pump stations.   :)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Sean_A

For as long as I've been in golf, I've heard this theory, that now seems to be set in concrete, that more heads = less water. I have come to the conclusion that it is the biggest myth in golf. But, as the Pinehirst water use debate moves along, expect to hear that more = less from many.

But, no matter what your system, the best way to save water is to make the commitment to save water. It is a lot more about attitude then it is about engineering.

Don

I think you are spot on. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Joey Chase

Re: Any other courses going to single line irrigation after this week?
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 04:01:16 AM »
What about all these courses that are required to use reclaim water and by contract/law, have to use X00,000 gallons a day or be fined? There are 2 directions that golf is and can go with water. Waste Water treatment plants LOVE golf courses (at least ours does) because we make their reclaim water program work. They actually need us to use more water, so it doesn't go to waste.

Anthony,

Do you see any drawbacks in using reclaimed water, or is it returned fairly pure?  I was under the impression that the amount of heavy minerals needed to be monitored constantly.  I would love to hear how it has worked for you.

Joey

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 07:27:58 AM »
If you really want to control water usage, then drop the size of the pump stations.   :)

Can't you just turn down the volume the pump is moving, or is a single speed pump?

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 07:54:05 AM »

Anthony,

Do you see any drawbacks in using reclaimed water, or is it returned fairly pure?  I was under the impression that the amount of heavy minerals needed to be monitored constantly.  I would love to hear how it has worked for you.

Joey

It's kind of a crap shoot, no pun. The water really starts to decline in our winter months where the population of residents increases, thus more waste water being sent to the plant. In the summer months, it's much better, but we don't need the water as much.
  We soil and water sample 4-5 times a year and even have an independent study done to make sure that the plant is returning the water within the perimeters that we agreed upon when the contract started. When the contract goes to negotiations next summer, we (6 golf courses that use this system) are going to ask for tighter restrictions on water quality.
  We make many, many amendments to flush the soils. light and frequent watering would be the death of us. But, we have access to PLENTY of water, which gets scarce around here come February, March and April. I think that I'd rather have access to water than not have water or have heavy restrictions on it's use. We can also make amendments to enhance the water.
  Several clubs around here have R.O. plants and sulfur burners. We also have a magnetize piece on our pump station that is supposed to magnetize the water prior to it going on the course. It was installed prior to my arrival, but I have not seen much of a benefit.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back