News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

West Lothian Golf Club
« on: June 07, 2014, 08:23:00 AM »
Wow, I mean wow.

Now I've played on the heights of Dufftown, I've played all the cliff top courses of Moray, I've even been up Donald's highest dune at Balmedie but the views at West Lothian are something else. Greenocks are pretty good as are the views at Pitlochry but are the views at West Lothian the most jaw dropping in Scotland ?

Views aside, there is a lot to like about this course if you enjoy old fashioned golfing virtues eg. a fair number of blind holes, stepped greens, bowl like greens, greens with some great sloping contours in front, even a ha ha in front of one green, plateaus greens and generally an interesting use of the landscape.

Originally designed in 1892 by Willie Park the course has been semi-butchered/modernised in more recent times but it is the original holes that are the most interesting. Well worth a play although I would mention I played in summer, which this year happened yesterday afternoon and evening  ;D.

Anyone else played this course ?

Niall

Marty Bonnar

Re: West Lothian Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 11:00:08 AM »
Given that I was born and grew up within spitting distance, I'm ashamed to say I've never played it. Driven past it often, but never turned in. Sounds like I need to remedy that. I have an old colleague who's a member, so I'll pull some strings!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Niall C

Re: West Lothian Golf Club
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 10:10:27 AM »
Martin

I was thinking you probably had this course. At £12 a go I don't think you need to bother pulling strings either. I would caution that there is a bit of uphill climbing at some points but not much. Neither is it a great course overall but does have some great moments and at that price you can't go wrong.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back