News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMEvensky

Re: Russia: Golf's New Frontier?
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 07:13:11 PM »
Ivan,a friend is home for the summer with her 7 year old daughter who wants to learn to play. They're in Novgorod. Do you know of any place in Petersburg where the daughter could find a beginners program?

Spasibo in advance.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2014, 07:33:44 PM »
Not just felt like some people on this board think Russia is a scary place withe bears on the streets and total violation of humans rights. I do honestly believe we have more rights here than in many other Western countries.

No need to apologize, I'm sure there is some of that here ... fear of the unknown, combined with media sensationalism.

Apparently, from your second sentence, you have some of the same over there.   :D   Which is hardly surprising; I don't think I've ever traveled anywhere that people weren't a bit nervous about foreigners, and where the media was not trying to shape people's thoughts.

Can you compare one of your favorite courses in Russia to somewhere you've played elsewhere that we might be more familiar with?

Paul Gray

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 08:00:52 PM »
Ivan,

Given that this is about golf I'll refrain from indulging my political urges but I do worry what you mean by black and gay people "screwing it up."
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Ben Lovett

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 03:34:48 AM »
Our Academy here in Turkey is Russian owned. They have currently 1 Russian pro, 1 Russian speaking pro and 1 non trained teacher. They are all teaching on average 8 hours a day everyday of the week. These are all beginner lessons from our Russian (eastern European) hotel guests!
I have also recently seen an interesting course that has just opened in Outer Mongolia which looked very interesting. I will hunt down more info and pictures.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 03:55:45 AM »
What areas in Russia have outstanding potential sites for courses?  Dunes, sandy soil, etc..  Where are some of the spectacular locales? 

Ben Lovett

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 06:07:11 AM »
Outer Mongolia has golf too!

http://www.skyresort.mn/

Neither inner nor outer Mongolia is in Russia, of course  :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ben Lovett

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 06:22:51 AM »
My multiple mistake!
It looks like an interesting course

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back