News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Is Essex County GC (NJ) a shadowy course ?
« on: May 30, 2008, 10:31:25 PM »
One that gets hidden or under rated and under appreciated due to all of the good courses in the area ?

With its very wide fairways, interesting green complexes and good winds sweeping the property it's both sporty and challenging.

Yet, most outside of the immediate area have never heard of it.

Some claim that the back nine is amongst the best in the State or Met Area.

Why do very good courses like Essex County get so little recognition ?

Mike_Cirba

Re: Is Essex County GC (NJ) a shadowy course ?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 10:45:24 PM »
Patrick,

I've walked it, but haven't played it.   The back nine is terrifc, as you mentioned, and the front sure ain't nothing to shake a stick at either.

But, I think your point is well taken.   Much like Huntingdon Valley near Philadelphia, the courses that are just a slight notch below the very best in their geographic proximity sometimes get lost in the wealth of riches, especially on national listings.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 01:09:06 PM »
Pat:

Much of that omission must fall at the feet of the so-called "in the know" raters. Anyone who knows anything about quality golf and the greater North Jersey area would need to include Essex County CC on the very short list of quality golf courses.

Much of the lackings of the front nine have been bolstered through the skillful hand of George Bahto.

Candidly, Essex County would make my personal top ten layout in NJ -- the terrain, wide variety of holes and the inspired compelling architecture from Charles Banks is an out and out winner in my book.

Mike Policano

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 05:07:03 PM »
Pat, given how good Essex County is, I assume that Baltusrol gets a lot attention with Plainfield getting some attention that might otherwise go to ECCC. I often sing ECCC's praises and most people who listened haven't played it or heard much of it. And I live and play 20 minutes from ECCC!

It is one of my favorites in NJ. I would pass up some higher ranked courses to play it. In addition to the comments above, the greens and greensites are very interesting and the variety of holes is very good.

Cheers

David Kelly

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 07:55:11 PM »
I really liked ECCC and have talked it up to a lot of people.  I thought the Par 3 holes were particularly good.  There is the Tillinghast redan #6, the short #9 which is straight uphill with a huge fronting bunker, the long, hard Eden # 11 hole and the interesting #15 hole which is a downhill hole with a right-to-left green.  Its a Biarritz hole with the swale in front of the green.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 08:45:24 PM »
If it is (and I agree) that makes Mountain Ridge (both recipients of marvelous restorations) even more of a "shadowy" gem. Outside of the Met area, it gets way too little recognition and often falls behind other, more storied NJ layouts (though few of them really rival its test).
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Greg Stebbins

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 10:16:05 PM »
The course keeps on getting better as green expansions initiated in the fall on holes 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12, and 18 have grown in nicely.  These expansions have brought back false fronts on 7, 8, 12 and 18 and have restored more square shapes on the other greens.  We also took out the wall of pines between 4 and 5 which has made a big difference.  I'm looking forward to seeing some other old features restored over time.

The course has really grown on me and I especially enjoy the alps 14th and the 18th as they have impressive scale as well as being excellent holes.

David,

The 6th is not a redan as the green slopes sharply toward the tee and from left to right.  It is however a very fun hole with an L shaped green that has a big slope in the back that one can use creatively if you miss the green.

A reverse redan feature exists on the par 4 17th hole.  It has the requisite high left shoulder with an extremely deep bunker front right.  The green is one of the most sloped on the course flowing from front left to back right.  In addition, the skyline green really makes it difficult to get a feel for the yardage.

Mike,

Come on over and play sometime soon. 

David Kelly

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 12:35:10 AM »
Greg,

I remember the 6th as having the characteristics of a reverse redan but having only played it once I will definitely defer to your knowledge.

Its great to hear that the restorations continue.  When I was there  4 or 5 years ago I played with the super and the pro and they were very happy with what had been done.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 09:52:11 AM »
David,

It's the 17th that's the reverse redan green.

Greg,

The 14th green needs to have the  mowing extended in the rear so that the disecting hump has putting surfaces to both sides.

The generous fairways are a great asset.
Continued tree removal can only benefit the course.

The first two holes are probably one of the most misleading sets of two opening holes in golf.

Most first time golfers assume that it's an easy course as they step onto the 3rd tee.   From there on in it's quite a challenge.

The 2nd hole remains a develish little hole.
I've seen many golfers produce big numbers on that seemingly simple, short hole.

The 15th green has to be one of the most challenging greens in golf when the hole is cut to the right and/or rear tier.

It's really a great golf course.

With Montclair (2&4)(1&3), Rock Spring, Essex County West, Crestmont, and Essex Fells you could play a lot of good golf courses without leaving the town of West Orange.  And, there used to be two other courses in West Orange, one's now the Essex Green Shopping Center and homes, the other a condo.   With Mt Ridge, Canoe Brook (36) and The Knoll nearby, you could play a lot of good golf courses without traveling very far.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 09:58:22 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

George_Bahto

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 10:32:38 AM »
Greg: thanks for posting the upgrades the club and super, Jason Thompson, have done and are continuing to do.

The tree clearing is spectacular and those who have not been there for the last year or so will be amazed (perhaps shocked) when they see again visit the course.

Pat, we are in the middle of the process of moving forward, yet more, with additional improvements to this course which will make it an even better all around facility and will make the course much better.

The improved practice facilities planned will be of special interest - putting green(s) and short game area.

Of special interest to the course will be one of my pet projects, that of adding in a number of strategic bunkers Banks was not permitted to build on to the course in 1925-27.

His (and Raynor's) concept plan called for well over 100 bunkers but only a fraction of those were actually built into the course - strategies lost.

Many of the holes have more than adequate landing areas but even if you miss to the side, the only problem you is shortish rough. Tightening up these areas and having the golfer to think more off the tee has been my goal for a long time.

We've done this on second-shots on holes 8 and 17 but there still is a lot to do and it has been (and still is) a pleasure to work with a club that wants to move forward as ECCC has.

Yes, the 17th is a wonderful two-shot reverse-Redan (very similar to hole-12 at Fishers Island).

Pat, concerning the second hole:

This one great green and my plan is to expand the fairway to the substantially to the right while also moving the left edge of the fairway to the right with appropriate bunkering along the left to;

a. prevent the short-cut to the green 

b. to make the player play out to the right where the approach to the green (although short) is incredibly difficult because the green does not accept a shot from that area - you'll usually be in the left greenside bunker because of the severe right to left tilt of the green.

Also hole 6 is a Tillinghast version of a Redan (shoulder well into the green).  Jason's spectacular green expansion has made this one of the great putting surfaces on the course.

A tee program is also in place (a number of interesting new tees as well as renovation) and will be acted when the club is ready.

Fortunate for me, the club is about 15 minutes from my house - that's far considering The Knoll is less than 3 miles from my home    :P.

I've been pushing to get Essex County put on the list of courses rates recommended "should see” and hopefully it will get on a one or two "lists" soon.

It's a sleeper!
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 06:54:06 PM »
George,

Why was the bunker behind the 10th green removed ?

It made for a good safety net for shots hit long ?

# 2 is a great little hole.  The golfer is deceived on the tee because of the fear of going left, when left, but not too much left, is good.

With respect to adding bunkers, I agree, the incredible width will accomodate them nicely.

The next time you visit # 14 green, look at the lady's aide hump and the way the area flanking it is mowed.  It should be mowed to putting surface as it would provide two spectacular hole locations, protected on one side by the hump, and in the rear by the steep bank.

It would also place a tremendous emphasis on accuracy with your approach and recovery shots as any shot ending up on the opposite side of the hump would surely take three to get down.

On a hole that's a drive and a sand wedge from the back tee, accuracy with the approach should be mandated.

Look at the area and tell me what you think.

Into the wind on # 7 I hit driver, 2-wood and a 2-iron and I hit them all well.
That's become a real deal par 5 from the back tee.

I hit a good 4-iron from the lower left tee on # 9 and it wasn't enough.
There was a strong wind out of the West, which is probably the prevailing wind, so, I don't think you can refer to the hole as a "short" anymore.

I'd like to see a little more width on # 4 as the semi-blind tee shot is to an angular fairway which can't be defined.  Since it's a long hole I don't think you're compromising the challenge.

When those greens get some pace in them, it's a real challenge.

Keep up the great work.

George_Bahto

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 08:52:26 PM »
The bunker behind 10 was taken out a long time ago - never saw it in place and don’t know why it was taken out unless not many players got into it.

We’ve taken out a whole row of trees on either side of 10-fairway also, Pat, and bunkering will be going in on the approach.

I’ve been advocating that mowing on #14 for years but have not gotten what I want (YET!!).

That sure is one of the fine short 4's around. Have you seen it after all the pines were removed from behind the green.

Hole 7, you said: “Into the wind on # 7 I hit driver, 2-wood and a 2-iron and I hit them all well. That's become a real deal par 5 from the back tee.”

In the new tee plan, aside from getting rid of some of the ugly multiple tees on the 7th we’ll be adding a new rear teeway back beyond the cart path - you may need those clubs with NO WIND.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 10:11:35 PM by George_Bahto »
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 10:13:30 PM »
George,

# 14 looks great without the framing trees.

At 617, why make # 7 longer ?

You can probably squeeze in another 20 at # 8, but, it gets a little dangerous back there, from # 17.

On the other hand, # 6 tee at Plainfield has an element of risk off of # 1 tee.  Maybe a berm to the rear of a back tee would work since there's a flanking berm/backstop on the right side of # 17 fairway and a new berm behind a new back tee would fit in harmoniously.

# 13 could probably use a little pruning down the right side as well.

Keep up the great work and get # 14 green mowed to the base of the banks surrounding the green.

Sitting high on the hill the golf course summons the breezes which make the course even more interesting and challenging.

It's a great track for everyday play
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 05:10:47 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 10:20:27 PM »
To those who mentioned the qualities of Canoe Brook / North and Mountain Ridge I can certainly say they are fine courses - however, they are not in the same league as Essex County CC.

The work of George Bahto has certainly added greatly to what was there previously.

I do agree with Pat that adding yardage to the 7th was unnecessary as the uphill climb at the previous yardage was more than sufficient. If any additional yardage was needed a few of the par-4's could have been used for such a purpose.

When people list NJ's top ten courses if Essex County CC is not on that short list then frankly the people leaving it out need to open their eyes and see what's there now.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 04:41:54 PM »
As I have often said before, Essex County, to me, is one of the best member courses I have played.  Simply, it is just a whole bunch of fun and I could never grow tired of it.  Problem is, New Jersey has so many great member clubs and it is tough to rate one against the other.  It would be wonderful if members of clubs from around the country could see what's been done and recognize what they can do with their classical courses. 

Mike Policano

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 05:33:41 PM »
Jerry,

If people show an interest, I am sure members are happy to show off the work done on their courses.  I hosted a member of a club that was considering who to hire to work on their club.  When he saw the work done on our course, he loved it and asked if he could borrow the Master Plan done by the architect.  I lent it to him and he used it to help the committee at his club make its decision.  They wound up hiring the same architect and some guy named George.

Greg,

I am playing ECCC on June 25.  Send me an email if you can join us.  Cheers.

So Pat,

Why do you think ECCC doesn't get the love it deserves?  And how does one change that, assuming one is even inclined to change it? 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 06:05:26 PM »
Mike,

Part of the reason is the name.

Most assume it's a muni, others confuse it with the course in MA.

In a neighborhood filled with good courses, the unduly weighted factor exerts influence.

Some deny ECCC the recognition it deserves because Ridgewood, Baltusrol, Plainfield and other high quality courses are nearby, and thus the feeling is that too much gravitas is being given to courses in this area.

If ECCC was in Oregon, Iowa, Mississippi, Texas or other locations, I believe it would hold a substantially loftier position.

It's a victim of its nearby peers.

I believe that other reasons are associated with conditioning and trees.

Once the club focused on these areas, and corrected the mistakes, the course's stock began to rise.

Hosting some tournaments would help to give the golf course the necessary exposure.

Most people who come to the NJ/MET area want to play the "name" courses, thus, ECCC, Mt Ridge, Hollywood, The Knoll, Hackensack and others are ignored, condemned to live in the shadows of the more popular area courses, which is unfortunate.

Lastly, I think many golfers debit the course due to the two short starting holes.

Those golfers probably haven't played NGLA yet  ;D

I think # 2 is a fabulous hole, but, I don't think my opinion is universally embraced .......... yet.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 09:32:16 PM »
As someone who loves golf course "archeology", one of my fondest memories of my day at Essex County was walking through the woods off the 10th green with Rick Wolffe and Mark Chalfant looking for old Tillinghast greens and tees.  (yes, we did find a few ;D)   

The course has a wonderful architectural heritage, and even though I haven't yet played it, I did aquire the club's history book, which is wonderful and fascinating, and does a superb job of chronicling the changes to the course over the many decades of its existence.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 02:04:47 PM »
I was fortunate to play Essex County Country Club recently with two fellow GCAers.

I had played the course back in March of 2013 before the Mucci Moron Dinner.  That day the greens were 'temps' so no pictures were taken. But I was impressed and made a point to get back there.  Last week when I played it the conditioning was excellent for early in the season, and even with a recent top dressing of the greens with sand, they rolled true and quite fast.  They've also recaptured plenty of green space, which is welcome.

I found it played beautifully and would say 'yes' to Mr. Green Ink's question in the subject of this thread.

Here is the photo album:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/EssexCounty/
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:41:00 AM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 11:30:31 AM »
Joe's photo tour reminded me of how impressed I was with Essex County during my one and only visit.  The scale of the course matches the land perfectly.  The cross course vistas enhance the feeling of a brawny course but one with loads of strategy.  One of my favorite courses.

BCowan

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 12:45:16 PM »
Joe,

Great photo tour, course looks great.  How fast do they normally run those greens?  Local rule allow head covers while putting?

Phil Lipper

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 01:19:08 PM »
The back 9 is certainly one of the best nines in the area, but the course certainly doesnt get the recognition it deserves. Although thats true with many courses that for one reason or another the raters ignore. Yale is the classic case of that, its certainly better than half of the top 100, but its not rated there. I think too many raters give a bias towards a courses tournament traditon and reputation, as opposed to what they are seeing in front of them

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 03:12:43 PM »
Phil,

Another reason is the concentration of good courses in the neighborhood.

Fenway suffers from the same geographical dilemma

Ditto Southampton and Westhampton

Steve Kupfer

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 11:43:01 PM »
I'll echo how impressed I was by the back when I played Essex for the first time last fall. Demanded more creative shot making and altogether far more interesting than the front. Without question one of the best nines in the area, in my mind. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back