News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

The Next Big Thing
« on: June 06, 2014, 10:51:58 AM »
Doak Dismal, Gamble Sands, Cape Wickham.  Forget Randolf Scott.  Whatever happened to Streamsong?

Surely our dance cards would runneth over if another golf course was never built.  Why the obsession with the new and planned?  Is it simply a matter of cachet or being in the know? 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jaeger Kovich

Re: The Next Big Thing
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 10:57:57 AM »
This just the way the world (at least USA) culture has become. We are obsessed with the new shiny thing. Once it has been identified and is out in the public eye, it quickly becomes old news. It probably has a lot to do with the internet, the way we receive news, etc, but you see it all sorts of different forms.

Look at the way sports is reported. NFL Draft is a great example.

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 11:46:44 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what to make of it but the Cape Wickham course is calling me to at least contemplate visiting Australia in the next couple of years. I suppose in part I'm drawn to the remote dynamic of being somewhere like King Island, but also the course really looks to be a stunner.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 11:51:51 AM »
Yes, Bogey.

Our cups have long runneth over, but alas the still waters don't seem to mean much to people anymore. Neither does a home club.  Hard time to be an architect - how can you satisfy folks who don't want to be satisfied, and who choose endless thirst instead?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 11:55:31 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what to make of it but the Cape Wickham course is calling me to at least contemplate visiting Australia in the next couple of years. I suppose in part I'm drawn to the remote dynamic of being somewhere like King Island, but also the course really looks to be a stunner.

Eric, you are aware that The Good Doctor did some work there once upon a time?   ;)

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 12:33:06 PM »
Yes, of course I am well aware of that, Sir Michael. ;) Like I said, I'm not exactly sure what to make of it, but my desire to see this course appears to be that extra nudge to make me seriously think about making the trip a reality.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 04:57:27 PM »
Am I the only one that senses frustration when a new course is built (that I want to play) is added to all the other courses that I have yet to play?

Matthew Sander

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 09:44:18 PM »
Not me Bogey. My list of courses that I'd like to see is so long that I have no illusions that it will happen. I guess I need a shot of ambition.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:36:12 PM by Matthew Sander »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 10:34:13 PM »
Michael:

There are quite a few new courses on my list of what I want to see before I've finished the new edition of The Confidential Guide.

There are more old courses than new ones; however, the new ones hold the most likelihood of finding a new 7 or 8 on the Doak scale.

Sean_A

Re: The Next Big Thing New
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 03:34:30 PM »
Doak Dismal, Gamble Sands, Cape Wickham.  Forget Randolf Scott.  Whatever happened to Streamsong?

Surely our dance cards would runneth over if another golf course was never built.  Why the obsession with the new and planned?  Is it simply a matter of cachet or being in the know?  

Bogey
A lot of these new courses can't really be worth traveliing to see until there are a few years old because of conditions, but then folks would be beat them to the punch.  Unlike Tom, my real list of wannasees isn't that long.  Probably like Tom's list, they are scattered about to such a degree that even that smallish list is mainly a dream.  Its just nice to see a few courses while on holiday.  In a few weeks I shall see my first Doak.  I played with a guy today who said RC is a cracking course, but not nearly as wide as Tom preaches....and with several no foozle carries from the 6800 yard tees....gulp.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:49:37 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Gary Sato

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »
This just the way the world (at least USA) culture has become. We are obsessed with the new shiny thing. Once it has been identified and is out in the public eye, it quickly becomes old news. It probably has a lot to do with the internet, the way we receive news, etc, but you see it all sorts of different forms.

Maybe that's fair, maybe not.  This website is a leading source for architectural news and people who seek out new destinations.

The way of this world is that jet travel has exponentially opened the door to travel across an ocean to play golf for a few days and then return. 

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 09:20:59 PM »

Maybe that's fair, maybe not.  This website is a leading source for architectural news and people who seek out new destinations.

The way of this world is that jet travel has exponentially opened the door to travel across an ocean to play golf for a few days and then return. 

I do both of those more than just about anyone.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 09:31:52 PM »
I played with a guy today who said RC is a cracking course, but not nearly as wide as Tom preaches....and with several no foozle carries from the 6800 yard tees....gulp.

Yeah, I heard from a friend the other day that the course had been narrowed significantly in preparation for an event ... I think they are playing qualifying rounds for the Boys' Championship there, alongside the host club Muirfield.  It was a bummer to hear, the fairways before were generously wide to make up for the thickness of the rough.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back