News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Re: 350 yard tee shots
« Reply #200 on: June 07, 2014, 07:05:38 PM »
''all playing from the standard daily tees''

That sounds good if you are into collectivism.  Jeff, it is real simple modify the rules (ball) at your own club, see how that works out.  They make balls for ranges that are short in the USA.  I don't know maybe they go 20-40% less.  Order some of those.  Have the club chump played with that ball only. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #201 on: June 07, 2014, 07:10:32 PM »
''all playing from the standard daily tees''

That sounds good if you are into collectivism.  Jeff, it is real simple modify the rules (ball) at your own club, see how that works out.  They make balls for ranges that are short in the USA.  I don't know maybe they go 20-40% less.  Order some of those.  Have the club chump played with that ball only. 

I'm pretty sure that's what our club champ and the rest of the members play ;) ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

DMoriarty

« Reply #202 on: June 07, 2014, 07:11:59 PM »
Yes, because wanting to play on the same course as those you are playing with/against is "collectivism."  
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Paul Gray

« Reply #203 on: June 07, 2014, 07:21:41 PM »
Spare me the idealistic stream of consciousness I'd compliment a politically aware eight year old with.

I'm not advocating how big a course should be. Make one 20, 000 yards if you like, just have the foresight to recognise how it might not be the most efficient of models to follow and how it isn't going to be sustainable when we all have to play that unless a) we want to use broom handles for clubs or b) we don't want to play 18 par 3s. I assume you're passed the teenage anarchist stage and recognise that regulatory bodies aren't all bad. You can either have the R&A and USGA doing the job or the marketing department at Taylormade. By all means make the break, just don't try to suggest that those of us that seek to protect classic architect are the zealots in thie piece.

Conversely, get some of those aeroflight balls and go into the garden or local park with a  kid and play a few 50 to 100 yard holes. Note how much further you hit the thing but how his or her skill can still count for something. And all from the same tees. That there is golf.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 07:26:32 PM by Paul Gray »
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

BCowan

« Reply #204 on: June 07, 2014, 07:33:39 PM »
Spare me the idealistic stream of consciousness I'd compliment a politically aware eight year old with.

I'm not advocating how big a course should be. Make one 20, 000 yards if you like, just have the foresight to recognise how it might not be the most efficient of models to follow and how it isn't going to be sustainable when we all have to play that unless a) we want to use broom handles for clubs or b) we don't want to play 18 par 3s. I assume you're passed the teenage anarchist stage and recognise that regulatory bodies aren't all bad. You can either have the R&A and USGA doing the job or the marketing department at Taylormade. By all means make the break, just don't try to suggest that those of us that seek to protect classic architect are the zealots in thie piece.

Conversely, get some of those aeroflight balls and go into the garden or local park with a  kid and play a few 50 to 100 yard holes. Note how much further you hit the thing but how his or her skill can still count for something. And all from the same tees. That there is golf.

Haha, Paul some good lines there.  I would like to see the PGA tour go with woods vs metals, but it is there job as a business that is offering a product to determine what goes and what doesn't.  I think ball striking is horrible today for someone can hit a 290 off the heal due to the club as much as the ball.  Let the average joe hit whatever, the average 18 handi isn't playing the tips Paul.  Paul, go hit a wood (non metal), and tell me how far that Pro V1 carries in the air!!!  I offered the idea of a private tourney similar to the Masters in which pros would play persimmon woods.  Faldo might start practicing again! ;) ;)

archie_struthers

« Reply #205 on: June 07, 2014, 09:23:22 PM »
 :o ::) :'(

Are we not forgetting that the new equipment advantages don't flow equitably .  My liberal thinking friends should rise up in protest and join me . . 

Club head speed alone makes the new tech work best , so the distance inequality  flows only to the 3% . It doesn't equate to the 230 hitter hitting it +10% and the 270 hitter improving 110% .  It may be more like 7% and 14%  based strictly on club head speed. That just isn't right , or left!

BCowan

« Reply #206 on: June 07, 2014, 09:28:10 PM »
:o ::) :'(

Are we not forgetting that the new equipment advantages don't flow equitably .  My liberal thinking friends should rise up in protest and join me . .  

Club head speed alone makes the new tech work best , so the distance inequality  flows only to the 3% . It doesn't equate to the 230 hitter hitting it +10% and the 270 hitter improving 110% .  It may be more like 7% and 14%  based strictly on club head speed. That just isn't right , or left!

equal outcome of club head speed is what you are advocating.  Jack hit it by everyone in his early days, did others cry golf ball advantage for jack (Gary Player)???   Get in the weight room, do yoga, and stretch like a rubber band.   I hate left vs right!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:36:43 PM by BCowan »

archie_struthers

« Reply #207 on: June 07, 2014, 10:51:03 PM »
 ??? ::)

BC.    You missed the point . I have no issue with Jack  hitting it further than just about anyone . He had great skill and power .  But ... The technology developed over the last twenty  years  have stacked the deck for those with high club speed , irrespective of the skill it is applied with . I'm cool with a ball that doesn't go forever and render the great designs irrelevant in some cases.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 11:16:47 PM by archie_struthers »

BCowan

« Reply #208 on: June 08, 2014, 05:42:04 AM »
??? ::)

BC.    You missed the point . I have no issue with Jack  hitting it further than just about anyone . He had great skill and power .  But ... The technology developed over the last twenty  years  have stacked the deck for those with high club speed , irrespective of the skill it is applied with . I'm cool with a ball that doesn't go forever and render the great designs irrelevant in some cases.

Archie, I didn't miss the point, I think the higher swing speeds benefiting more from trampoline effect is BS.  Skill is having to hit a persimmons wood, not a 460cc metal with any ball (balata for example).

archie_struthers

« Reply #209 on: June 08, 2014, 06:12:09 AM »
 ??? ??? ???

Sorry then BC, perhaps I missed your point . Thought you were cool with the technology run rampant.

Like I said earlier , stickball or whiffle ball becomes less fun when the equipment is juiced up to make the playing  field irrelevant . Isn't golf the same way ?   If the baseball was juiced up to allow for 700 foot home runs , and aluminum bats were legal in MLB , wouldn't the  game suffer?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back