News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: 2014 King's Putter at Chambers Bay
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2014, 12:08:50 PM »
2.  I'm not sure how the USGA is stuck with CB.  If the course closes the week before the tournament, and is played on dirt because of that, and, therefore, they determine that fescue cannot be successfully grown in Washington based on that result, you think the US Open will come back?  Really?

::)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matt Bosela

« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2014, 12:20:05 PM »
Sorry I wasn't able to make it - the Bandon KP was one of the great experiences I've had through this site and I hope to take part in another King's Putter in the near future.

Ben Sims

« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2014, 01:02:34 PM »
2.  I'm not sure how the USGA is stuck with CB.  If the course closes the week before the tournament, and is played on dirt because of that, and, therefore, they determine that fescue cannot be successfully grown in Washington based on that result, you think the US Open will come back?  Really?

::)

GJ,

I don't understand your position. Why wouldn't Chambers Bay and the USGA want to ensure the best event that they possibly could?

Like Rich said, our little argument matters not. Those that make the decisions have already decided to close greens off, put netting and matts down to reduce traffic, and--as a minimum--close the golf course three weeks prior. There is already a reduction in mid-week rounds. What am I missing here?

I think you're taking a position against pandering to TV and the pros at the expense of shutting a golf course down. But I contend that that is exactly what should be done in part--at least as it applies to the conditioning of the course.

Joe Perches

« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2014, 01:43:56 PM »
Sorry I wasn't able to make it - the Bandon KP was one of the great experiences I've had through this site and I hope to take part in another King's Putter in the near future.

I was disappointed you didn't make it too.

I wanted to be in the foursome with "switch hitter" Matt Essig, "doesn't lose, can't miss" Matt Bielawa, and "birdie barraging" Matt Bosela so it'd be simple thing to just say "good shot Matt" after every swing.

It was a "great" time for me.  I'm using that adjective for the event, the weather, the people, and the courses.  The BBQ'd pig jowls too.

I was originally a bit disheartened to learn that we were going to play several temporary greens at Chambers.  After playing a couple of them, that thought was nearly completely gone.

Play to any old spot at Chambers, the bumps, bounces and shapes around the hole are still going to fun.  There are lots of "where is this going to go?" thoughts to ponder when playing at Chambers.

And I'm going to echo nearly everything Pete Lavallee said about the courses.

I was expecting good to great things about Chambers.  That I got and I think the Open there will be fine.
The conditions will sort themselves out given the attention the course will get leading up to the event.

Aldarra was a _much_ better Fazio than I expected.  I'm still very impressed that Victor managed to complete a HundredHoleHike there.  It's got quite a bit of up and down.

The Home Course and the Gold Mountain courses were representative examples of good to fine publics I'd be happy to play again.

But in a big and pleasant surprise to me, I thought the Fircrest course was great fun.

It's compact, mostly straightforward and simple, challenging at spots, great movement through the fairways, a few fun "where should the golf ball go?" holes with well managed poa greens free from dollar spot and fairy ring.  I was delighted that the fairways were fairly bouncy and the greens were very true.

My thanks to all the organizers and players.  I hope to see you all again.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2014, 05:18:02 PM »
Hope the next KP comes back to San Diego, Palm Springs or AZ in March or April. 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Ben Malach

« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2014, 09:41:54 PM »
This looks like a lot of fun sorry I had to bail. Maybe next year I hope to make it depending upon time and location.
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Matthew Essig

« Reply #131 on: June 06, 2014, 07:10:21 PM »
Interesting article came out in Cascade Golfer answering some questions we had at KP.

Right now the plan is reducing play to half the rounds in May and closing the course June 1st. A little surprised there is only two weeks of preparation. There is a chance to reduce rounds November-January in case the greens need less traffic, too.

Davis already has jotted down the various distances for the par 3's.
-#3 will play 193, 163, and 142 yards
-#9 will play 224, 217, and 202 (from the tee box at the bottom of the hill) yards
-#15 will play 246, 167, and 123 yards
-#17 will play 218, 172, and 119 yards

There are plans for stands for 18,000 along #18.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Ben Sims

« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2014, 03:48:32 AM »
-#15 will play 246

Where's that tee? 12 fairway?

Sean Leary

« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2014, 10:26:39 AM »
-#15 will play 246

So silly. How are they ever going to hold that green from that distance?

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2014, 02:17:34 PM »
-#15 will play 246

We walked up and had a look at that tee box.  It's relatively close to #14 green and hits across the 12th tee box.  It's ridiculous.

Also didn't really get the tee box at the bottom of the hill on #9.  Completely different hole from over there, and kind of illogical from a routing perspective.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2014, 03:30:03 PM »
Not easily, especially with firm conditions.  I've played it once from up there.  Remember it's quite a bit downhill - so it plays shorter.  Full 4 wood into the wind.  Landed left center of the green and only rolled out 15 ft.  Green was receptive and the wind helped it hold.  It will be another story if they bake out the green.

-#15 will play 246

So silly. How are they ever going to hold that green from that distance?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 03:44:36 PM by Brent Carlson »

Richard Choi

« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2014, 08:48:33 PM »
I think #9 is a really good hole from the bottom tee. I t is amazing to look at as all you see are mounds and mounds of sand.

119 yards at #17 will be great as they will place the pin on the peninsula, the size of a postage stamp. That should be a lot of fun.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #137 on: June 07, 2014, 11:13:37 PM »
Rich,

Congrats on putting on a bang up good show at KP. The visitors got to play Fircrest, Aldara, Chambers Bay, Olympic, and the Home Course. The weak link being The Home Course and it has hosted the Am. Can't understand why others didn't take advantage of what you offered.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back