News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JLahrman

NCR South pics
« on: September 29, 2008, 11:40:42 PM »
I had an opportunity to play in a tournament at the South course at NCR Country Club today.  Pics of all holes below, sorry for a few fuzzy ones.

The discussion will kindly focus on the merits of the course and not the miserable play of my partner and myself.  The course is a brute, they had us all the way back (7000+) with tough pins.  The greens have a good deal of slope to them and are very challenging.  Not a one isn't threeputtable.  A nice mix of uphill and downhill shots.  This was my first time having the opportunity to play the course and really enjoyed the day.

To the course...favorite hole was probably #10.  4, 5, 6, 9, 14, and 18 are other favorites.

1st hole, 450ish par 4, long straight difficult opener with a tough green.

2nd hole, 175ish par 3

3rd hole, 420ish par 4.  Unfortunately I missed a picture from the tee, which is sharply downhill.  The fairway then turns right and sharply uphill.

Looking back down the fairway

4th hole, short par 4 that turns right.  Take off as much as you want on the drive but the fairway narrows and the green is well protected.

5th hole, good straight 550ish par 5 with a narrow but deep green

6th hole, dogleg right par 5.  Green is perched above a massive bunker and goes sharply back to front.

From maybe 70 yards short...

7th hole.  Another dogleg right, par 4

8th hole, played about 165 yards.  Pin was tucked front left.

9th hole, an uphill dogleg left with a very difficult green.  Pin was set just above the front right bunker, extremely difficult to get close.

You can really see the slope of the 9th green from the left side.

10th hole, a very fun dogleg right par 5.

11th hole, a short dogleg left par 4.  The green is narrow and kidney shaped, very interesting.

The 12th hole, a long 460ish dogleg left par 4.  Very elevated tee shot, tough green with a large ridge on the left side.

13th hole, 200 yard par 3.  Green pitches sharply from left to right, feeding down to the pin.

The 14th, a short dogleg left par 4.  The green is extremely narrow.

The 14th hole coming at you on the left, 15th moving away from you on the right.

15th hole, 240 yard monster par 3, slightly uphill with a deep green.

16th hole, long dogleg right par 4.

17th hole, short straightaway par 4, probably about 350.

18th hole, elevated tee to a narrow landing area, then uphill to a huge green, 420ish yard hole

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 12:15:49 AM by JAL »

danielfaleman

Re: NCR South pics
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 12:07:49 PM »
Thanks for the photo tour, well done. A very nice mid-50's parkland course - #12 is my favorite hole there.

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 12:21:18 PM »
Thanks for the photos. I've heard that this was a very good course, perhaps Dick Wilson's best. These pics confirm that the course looks to be well worth the time to see.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

noonan

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 12:43:29 PM »
The pic of #1 green does not do the mound at the front right of the green justice.

Not long by todays standards, but a tough start to say the least.

I was to play in the event, but my partner had a business meeting.

The rough looks nasty!

Tom Yost

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 02:19:48 PM »
Thanks for the great pics J.

I've never played the course, but I attended the 1969 PGA Championship as a lad.  I don't remember it being that hilly.

Looks like the tees are all in close proximity to the greens.  Does anyone walk it?

JLahrman

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 02:56:09 PM »
The pic of #1 green does not do the mound at the front right of the green justice.

Not long by todays standards, but a tough start to say the least.

I was to play in the event, but my partner had a business meeting.

The rough looks nasty!

Very true on #1.  Unfortunately I didn't get a good angle for that picture.  Several of the longer holes (1, 12, 18) had greens with large ridges.  It was extremely difficult.  The rough was not long but it was nasty.  We're at that time of year where the greens are still dry from the summer but the rough is starting to thicken.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 04:12:55 PM by JAL »

JLahrman

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 02:57:09 PM »
Thanks for the great pics J.

I've never played the course, but I attended the 1969 PGA Championship as a lad.  I don't remember it being that hilly.

Looks like the tees are all in close proximity to the greens.  Does anyone walk it?

It was a shotgun yesterday so nobody walked, but it seemed walkable.  Several hills but there weren't really any long green-to-tee drives that I remember.

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 02:39:09 PM »
Played here twice over the weekend for the first time in about 4 years. What a tremendous golf course, personally I think it's really underrated nationally. They have done some tree thinning (ash borer related?) and turf conditions were outstanding. It is a very challenging golf course, but even in 30 MPH winds on Sunday and Monday it was very playable. They have brand new greens this year that are fantastic. Absolutely one of my favorites.

BHoover

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 03:36:51 PM »
It's been about 4-5 years since I played NCR South, but I remember it well.  I thought it was a great course to play and a lot of fun.  The 10th hole especially is a very fun par 5 and the hole that I remember the most.  NCR seemed to me to be one of those rare big, burly tournament courses that also can be playable and a lot of fun if you play from the right set of tees.

David Whitmer

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 03:40:32 PM »
Played here twice over the weekend for the first time in about 4 years. What a tremendous golf course, personally I think it's really underrated nationally. They have done some tree thinning (ash borer related?) and turf conditions were outstanding. It is a very challenging golf course, but even in 30 MPH winds on Sunday and Monday it was very playable. They have brand new greens this year that are fantastic. Absolutely one of my favorites.

I agree Philip. I am a big fan of NCR South. Great piece of rolling property, beautiful turf conditions, and a very solid track. With all the tree-clearing they have done the last ten or so years (specifically the hills by holes #2 and #8, and behind hole #11), I wish they would do even more. I think some great vistas could be the result. The par 3s on the back nine are outstanding. I have not played many Dick Wilson courses, but it's my favorite nonetheless.

JLahrman

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 04:56:38 PM »
Blast from the past here; that was my only play of the course and I remember it well. It can definitely eat you up if you play from the wrong tees! There wasn't too much not to like about the course.

Donovan Childers

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 05:35:10 PM »
I played with Phil this weekend, and it was the first time for me to see this course. I will say I was impressed with what I saw at this course.
The new greens were really firm on Sunday and made it hard to stop anything, but there was a little rain on Sunday night and things became much softer.
It was a fun course for me to play, but I think  if I play it any time in the future I will hit a few more 4 woods from the tee box and keep it in the fairways on many of the doglegs. The rough wasn't bad, but if they grew it up I could see how this course could become a beast.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
gee all those carts.  What's wrong, all your legs broken?

JLahrman

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 10:28:37 AM »
gee all those carts.  What's wrong, all your legs broken?

Well as I pointed out six years ago, it was a shotgun event.

If I had any backbone, as a true GCAer I would have got right back in my car and headed home once I saw the carts. But I'm a coward, so I went ahead and played in the event. I just hope Ran doesn't return my contribution. He probably doesn't like blood money.

Donovan Childers

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 10:36:34 AM »
Actually most of the members walk. Many of them use the powered  push carts but they walk. The assistant told me that they have between 500 to 600 golfing members.

Tom Allen

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 10:39:20 AM »
Great course.  The first is not a gentle handshake (at least it was not for me).  More like a punch in the mouth.  It settled down a little, but this is one course that can eat your lunch if you are not hitting the ball straight.  Have not been since 2008, but hoping that will change soon.

noonan

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 10:49:56 AM »
Even with all the elevation change - it is a pleasant walk.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back