News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

TV has often been the harbinger of
« on: May 29, 2014, 09:31:49 AM »
trends that many feel have been detrimental to golf and especially golf courses.

Will the telecast of this years Open reverse that trend ?

Will "brown" become beautiful ?

Will the condition and look of # 2 initiate more favorable trends ?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:38:54 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

Mark Pearce

Re: TV has often been the harbinger of
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:34:26 AM »
Given how wet the last couple of weeks have been I'd expect Hoylake to be pretty green for this year's Open.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 09:40:42 AM »

Given how wet the last couple of weeks have been I'd expect Hoylake to be pretty green for this year's Open.

Mark,

When did they start calling Holyoke # 2

I think your knee high white socks are cutting off your circulation to your brain ;D

Matthew Sander

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 09:44:05 AM »
Only time will tell Pat. I do know that after playing #2 late last summer, I can't wait to see the event on TV. It will be interesting to hear the reaction from the pros. I hope there is only minimal bellyaching regarding the somewhat random nature of the penalty of a missed fairway. I think too much complaining, even if it is in regards to that one specific element, could poison the well a bit. Personally, I love the presentation and shot variety that the native areas offer, but the pros seem to value a measure of predictability.

I think the trends you mention in your opening post are pretty hefty for one televised championship to begin to tip the scales, but they are interesting questions.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 09:48:38 AM »
Pat,
Many moons of Open telecasts haven't made brown any more beautiful  - can't see that our Open will change much.

We'll just have to wait for more drought/climate change.  ;D

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

John McCarthy

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 09:55:17 AM »
We are sneaking up to the event.  How has the weather been in Pinehurst?  Dry, wet, normal?  Has anyone seen the course? 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 10:35:27 AM »
I have spoken at length with Bill Coore about this issue.  In his opinion, Mike Davis of the USGA and Pinehurst have "really gone out on a limb" for this US Open.  As he notes, Pinehurst was certainly not getting any complaints regarding its previous US Open championships, and the resort was doing very well, thank you very much, with the condition and setup of the venerable No. 2.

How will the course play for the US Open?  How will the field respond?  How will TV viewers respond?  These are incredible unknowns for such a known property and championship.

Will brown become beautiful?  Who knows.  But if we are indeed in the "Minimalist Era," as mused in another thread, then this US Open is in fact its most significant popular moment.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 03:57:29 PM »
Pat Slow play

Keith Grande

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 04:10:22 PM »
If history is correct, we'll just get a bunch of people saying they did a poor job of maintennance, and the course looks 'burnt out".  I think the pros would take their chances in the waste/wiregrass areas, with wide playing corrodors over last year's ribbon fairways and wrist-straining rough at Merion.

Paul Gray

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 04:37:56 PM »
Mark is quite right. The Open is being held at Hoylake.

Hopefully you might however get more response to this post than I managed on the same topic, assuming you meant the US Open.  ;)
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 11:56:17 PM »

Hopefully you might however get more response to this post than I managed on the same topic, assuming you meant the US Open.  ;)

Paul,

I can understand Mark Pearce's inability to read, but you ?
How did you miss the reference to " # 2" in the opening post.

Does Hoylake have another course we're unaware of ?  ;D

Paul Gray

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 06:31:57 AM »

Paul,

I can understand Mark Pearce's inability to read, but you ?
How did you miss the reference to " # 2" in the opening post.

Does Hoylake have another course we're unaware of ?  ;D

You asked a number of questions in your original post. There was no indication that they were related to one another.  ;D
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back