News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

No ball in the water US Open
« on: June 02, 2014, 12:17:32 AM »
Is Pinehurst the best chance for the US Open to be played with no balls entering a water hazard the entire tournament? Did anyone hit it in the pond on 16 in the prior Opens? I assume Oakmont has some of the ditches marked as hazards during Open play and that balls entered those ditches ?

Matthew Rose

Re: No ball in the water US Open
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 12:40:12 AM »
How about Olympic?
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 12:42:33 AM »
How about Olympic?

I want to say one of the par 3s on the back had a small water hazard in play left of the green that a few players may have found, at least this last time around.

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 02:18:55 AM »
I don't know how I forgot Olympic although someone probably hit it in the creek down at the bottom of the course.However,it is possible no one did. I wonder if the USGA keeps this kind of stat?

Matthew Rose

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 02:29:37 AM »
Shinnecock just has that one odd pond on #6; has anyone rinsed one there?

Winged Foot might be another.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 10:37:51 AM »
The pond on Shinny 6 is more likely to swallow orbs than the Pinehurst Pond on 16.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 10:57:03 AM »
Shinnecock just has that one odd pond on #6; has anyone rinsed one there?

Winged Foot might be another.

The creek behind # 6 and the creek on # 15 at WFW catch their share of balls

Howard Riefs

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 11:05:33 AM »
How about Olympic?

I want to say one of the par 3s on the back had a small water hazard in play left of the green that a few players may have found, at least this last time around.

13th hole. I know that at least one player found it in 2012. Can't remember who, though.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 12:52:25 PM »
Is the small pond on the par-3 8th at Bethpage Black the only water hzard in play for the US Open?
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

mike_beene

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 12:59:01 PM »
I guess the pond at Shinnecock could get a stray approach from the rough but not sure it has happened. You would really have to miss your tee shot at Pinehurst. There may be no way to find out this stat but I am curious.

Michael Felton

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 01:28:12 PM »
Is the small pond on the par-3 8th at Bethpage Black the only water hzard in play for the US Open?

I believe so yes, but it's also quite likely to get a few, especially with a front pin.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 01:41:21 PM »
Brae Burn
Myopia

Both appear to have no water.

Future:

Chambers Bay

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 02:09:45 PM »
Chambers Bay has water. ;) I just can't imagine anyone hitting a shot bad enough to find the water. Perhaps a ricochet off of a rail could reach the water?

Since the water is OB, I guess there will be not penalty strokes for any shots offline enough to reach the water, as the penalty will be assessed for OB.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 02:14:46 PM by GJ Bailey »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 02:13:40 PM »
Myopia

The 9th has a pond (the name of the hole is even Pond) in front of the green that is in play.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 03:25:58 PM »
Myopia

The 9th has a pond (the name of the hole is even Pond) in front of the green that is in play.

Indeed.

Garland, I posted under the assumption Puget Sound was out of bounds.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 03:37:38 PM »
I know the Bethpage hole definitely catches a few balls; I remember seeing it happen. A few of them hit that tree first.

Didn't know #6 at Winged Foot had a creek behind it. I knew 15 had a small one. Pretty much all the significant water there is on the East course.

Kyle Casella

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 04:35:53 PM »
Brae Burn
Myopia

Future:

Chambers Bay

Plenty of water on Brae BURN. Creek on 1, creek 6, pond and creek on 7, creek on 13/14, creek on 18.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 04:52:40 PM »
Brae Burn
Myopia

Future:

Chambers Bay

Plenty of water on Brae BURN. Creek on 1, creek 6, pond and creek on 7, creek on 13/14, creek on 18.

I stand corrected - should have zoomed in closer on google earth.  So...will Chamber's be the first US Open with absolutely no water hazards?

Matthew Rose

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 05:20:58 PM »
Riviera.... unless you count the barrancas.

On the other side of the coin.... which US Open had the most water in play? I'm thinking Atlanta AC, Medinah, or maybe Hazeltine or Bellerive or some other RTJ.

Michael Felton

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 06:24:21 PM »
Riviera.... unless you count the barrancas.

On the other side of the coin.... which US Open had the most water in play? I'm thinking Atlanta AC, Medinah, or maybe Hazeltine or Bellerive or some other RTJ.

Pebble Beach if the ocean counts has quite a lot.

mike_beene

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 12:22:21 AM »
Matthew, for most water in play, I wonder how Champions Cypress Creek would stack up? I am not sure how many water holes it has, but it must be in play 6 or  more times.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back