News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Sato

State of the Game topic. Moore County best courses.
« on: June 01, 2014, 04:02:38 PM »
Hello.  This is my first post.  After listening to Rans interview, I decided to come out of the closet after 10 years of observing.  After all, what are the arguments about, GOLF?

Ran discussed the merits of the golf courses in Moore County and I'll paraphrase, not a lot of good has resulted after Donald Ross died in the late 1940's.   Of the so 50 courses in Moore County, he can only recommend 5 or so.

They are,

Pinehurst #2
Mid Pines
Pine Needles
Dormie Club
Southern Pines

He also mentioned Tobacco Road which is just over the Moore County boarder.

Not having been there, are there any other classics that could be restored or renovated?  What other courses did he miss?

Tom_Doak

Re: State of the Game topic. Moore County best courses.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 04:06:53 PM »
Ran wrote up Forest Creek pretty highly on this web site, for courses he would not recommend.  I have not seen those.  Of the other courses I have seen, none is screaming out to be included.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 06:02:07 PM »
Gary, welcome to the site. And shit somebody tell Ran thousands of counties across the nation would kill to have those five courses, not to mention just on the publicly-accessible side of the ledger.  >:(
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Gary Sato

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 04:40:07 PM »
There are a few more than maybe people realize.  Overhills for one would be significant for golf.  I'm not sure what the Army has in mind for that site but if it fell into private hands some good might happen?

With Mr. Padgett retiring later this year, a new CEO might rethink #4 and if a Fazio course in a Donald Ross tradition is the best use for that property?   

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 05:23:54 PM »
If they renovated Pinehurst #1 & #3 they'd be pretty interesting, and might justify the cost of ponying up for one of the resort packages again.  How about a fully restored #3 and #1 as a hickory-only course?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 06:11:46 PM »
If they renovated Pinehurst #1 & #3 they'd be pretty interesting, and might justify the cost of ponying up for one of the resort packages again.  How about a fully restored #3 and #1 as a hickory-only course?

I was thoroughly impressed after playing no. 3 with hickory last year and after reading Chris's fantastic work researching the origins of the course I would love to see no. 3 brought back to its original routing and glory. But doing so would virtually eliminate a course from Pinehurst's catalog as what was left from the current 3rd and 5th would be disconnected and separated from the clubhouse. I think it would be more feasible to see them convert no. 1 into a hickory only course, but it would still sit empty for the majority of the time.

Much like the revival Mid Pines seems to be going through after their renovation I believe it would be similar with a restored no. 3 but I don't see the resort doing it and loosing a golf course.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 09:41:18 PM »
Ran wrote up Forest Creek pretty highly on this web site, for courses he would not recommend.  I have not seen those.  Of the other courses I have seen, none is screaming out to be included.

I didn't listen to the podcast yet, so anyone can feel free to slap me down if I'm incorrect...but maybe Ran just wanted to offer public access suggestions?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 11:01:56 PM »

I didn't listen to the podcast yet, so anyone can feel free to slap me down if I'm incorrect...but maybe Ran just wanted to offer public access suggestions?

Perhaps.  I have never listened to a podcast in my life, so I couldn't really say what his intent was.  I was just responding to the initial post.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 08:27:43 AM »
Tom,

I was just speculating because I also noticed the omission of Forest Creek right away. Ran seems pretty high on both courses I his reviews...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back