News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

A tree BEGGING to be removed
« on: May 28, 2014, 04:30:57 PM »

Yes, I am addicted to tree removal. Anyone care to guess the name of this venerable course?

BCowan

Re: A tree BEGGING to be removed
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 04:35:45 PM »
The trees to the left of the green on the right bother me more.  #notreesbygreensplease

You have a healthy addiction imho.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 04:41:25 PM »
The trees to the left of the green on the right bother me more.  #notreesbygreensplease

You have a healthy addiction imho.

Good point. Why not further emphasize that most unusual green complex!

BCowan

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 04:45:04 PM »
I love those cocoa drops!!!!  I'm sure i could 3 putt that green  :-[

Michael Felton

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 04:47:12 PM »
Winged Foot? Looks like 9 on the West on the left, which I think makes that 17 on the East behind the tree.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 04:54:17 PM »
A worse offender was repeatedly shown during the Players, on a short par-4 on the back nine, inasmuch as it really came into play on the tee shot.  This tree is a leaning tower of future sawdust, but it would not appear to be in play off the tee.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 04:57:11 PM »
What is wrong with that tree?  Shade near the tee is nice on a hot day.   Shade on the green in the morning is a problem.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 04:59:46 PM »
What is wrong with that tree?  Shade near the tee is nice on a hot day.   Shade on the green in the morning is a problem.

Tell that to the family of the member who is killed when the tree falls on him one day.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 05:10:15 PM »

Tell that to the family of the member who is killed when the tree falls on him one day.

looking at the upper branches the tree has stabilised a while ago and ain't going to fall over anytime soon. Its not in the way and as Jason says, nice shade on a hot day.

Jon

Bill Brightly

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 07:15:02 PM »
Winged Foot? Looks like 9 on the West on the left, which I think makes that 17 on the East behind the tree.

Well done, Michael. Took 16 minutes to get the correct answer. That's about par for GCA.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 11:50:00 PM »
sometimes it's hard to tell from a pic
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 07:35:54 AM by Dunlop_White »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 12:07:29 AM »
Bill,

I recognized the 17th green on the East immediately, but, I think your photo might have conveyed a stronger message had it been taken from the very back of the back tee on # 9.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 02:09:00 AM »
not messing with either hole from this perspective...

Ditto

Paul Gray

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 07:59:46 AM »

looking at the upper branches the tree has stabilised a while ago and ain't going to fall over anytime soon. Its not in the way and as Jason says, nice shade on a hot day.

Jon

This was my thinking. Removing this would, for me anyway, be a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Jim Franklin

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 09:19:27 AM »
Not to thread jack, but what did everyone think of the tee shot on the par 3 15th at Prairie Dunes? Fan of the hole, yes/no?
Mr Hurricane

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 07:57:02 PM »
Not to thread jack, but what did everyone think of the tee shot on the par 3 15th at Prairie Dunes? Fan of the hole, yes/no?
Big fan. Many rounds played there. The TV seemed to make "The Chute" appear tighter than it really is.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 04:53:53 PM »
Here are some trees begging to be removed (well, I was the one begging)...

...and voila

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:04:35 PM by Greg Tallman »

BCowan

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 06:59:37 PM »
Bill,

Something like this??? ;)

Nigel Islam

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 08:01:28 PM »
Bill,

Something like this??? ;)

That looks like a Southern Indiana course.

BCowan

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 08:18:48 PM »
haha,  Sylvania CC.  Northwest Ohio  :)

V. Kmetz

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 02:16:48 AM »
I don't know when the picture was taken, but my experience already this year is that the trees beyond left of the 17 E ARE gone, and I think the two closer to 9W fairway are also exited...going tomorrow, tell you for sure.

And the tree in question - an osage orange tree (with the softball sized, rumpled breadfruit in alternate autumns) - is imo a fine landmark right where it is. 

It's a matter of taste as to its aesthetics (I like it's unusual "crag"), but if your ball is anywhere near that tree off either hole, it was always going to be a rough one...sorry.

I'm an ardent tree removal supporter, but here, the "chainsaw" opinion held by BB is where the concept is, imo, taken too far. Any tree is an offense it seems, even rare specimens that strike an unusual pose...and this on a parkland course(s) that has removed 80-90% of the courses' extant trees in the last 17 years--and wonderfully so.

To sum up:
1. It's not in play for either tee,
2. The feeling of "breadth" is still enormous on both holes.
3. Don't let the lean of it fool you, this tree is not going anywhere in the next century unless disease claims it. Even if it wasn't as sturdy as a brick shithouse, no one has to walk under, around or within it's circumference to go to their shot, if they don't want to; it is not a safety hazard in any way (unless a breadfruit pops you in the noggin')
4. It's an unusual and less and less frequently seen specimen.
5. This is a parkland course that has addressed 100% of its tree maintenance issues.

cheers

vk

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Joe Hancock

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 10:13:43 AM »
vk,

That tree is in play...in fact, a certain GCA-er who is known to play many shots on this course with his putter hit it twice recently as he was attempting the East 17th w/ said putter.

Other than a bit of golfing tomfoolery, you are correct in your (o)sage analysis of the pictured tree.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back