News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Balzer

Tom_Doak

Re: New Course in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 08:35:40 AM »
So if we are to take that article at face value, Fred Funk can read a topo map.  I wonder where he learned how?

He's more vague about whether he did the routing of the course when he says "it was already there," he must have gone to a good school of propaganda.

Mike_Young

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 08:45:12 AM »
So if we are to take that article at face value, Fred Funk can read a topo map.  I wonder where he learned how?

He's more vague about whether he did the routing of the course when he says "it was already there," he must have gone to a good school of propaganda.
Now TD....that's not fair....he also said "When we walked it the first time, I saw that it designed itself. ."  so if it had really already designed itself, then maybe it was right there ;D ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 07:30:32 PM »
Another golf course that will be nearly impossible to walk. 200 feet elevation change is a lot, especially if you have to travel it up and down a couple of times.

No thanks

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 08:13:31 PM »
Another golf course that will be nearly impossible to walk. 200 feet elevation change is a lot, especially if you have to travel it up and down a couple of times.

No thanks

Bill, isn't that why the golf cart was invented?     :P

Doug Wright

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 01:38:56 PM »

No thanks

If this property is 3 miles west of the (dreadful) existing Pelican Lakes course it must be pretty close to I-25 and on relatively flat terrain a long ways from the mountains or even the foothills. 200 feet doesn't seem like a lot of elevation change over 18 holes. I'd agree if it was 200 feet over one or two holes.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 12:24:39 AM »

No thanks

If this property is 3 miles west of the (dreadful) existing Pelican Lakes course it must be pretty close to I-25 and on relatively flat terrain a long ways from the mountains or even the foothills. 200 feet doesn't seem like a lot of elevation change over 18 holes. I'd agree if it was 200 feet over one or two holes.
potentially it is doable. We'll see in a few years just how good the land and the routing is.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 04:33:17 AM »
Longtime Palmer Design associate Harrison Minchew is the actual golf architect on this project.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 10:34:40 AM »
Isn't it striking: Fred Funk, a good tour pro who competed at the highest levels and even won The Players, but who is known to be one of the shortest hitters off the tee and who now usually plays courses on the Champions Tour that tip out at 6800 yards -- and yet, the only architectural reference in the article is that his first design will stretch to 7,500 yards! As if length trumps everything else (interesting greens, challenging hazards) even when the professional golfer-architect himself couldn't really hope to handle a course that long. Even as simply a marketing exercise you'd think a developer would/could use Fred Funk's name to explain/justify/celebrate a 6,800 yard course; but it appears that the 'prestige' of length trumps even such no-brainer business decisions.

Peter

Lou_Duran

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 11:00:21 AM »
Altitude and low humidity probably make this a relatively short course.  Other first time designers have done well out of the box- NUZZO!!!! comes to mind.  Why the derision towards Funk?  Might his principal know a bit more about his abilities?  Unlike Freddie Couples whose name does have some buzz, I doubt that offering a Funk Signature Course will add much cache for marketing the project.  I assume that Fred has good eyesight and can identify elevations.  Or does it take a rocket scientist (no reference to NUZZO!!!! who probably had few such challenges at Wolf Point) to read a topo?

Stephen Davis

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 11:23:09 AM »
This is a good point Lou. 7500 is not as long as it sounds up here in the thin air. I have not seen the land, but I wish the best for them. If they build a course that is fun and interesting then it should be great no matter who the architect is. Lets hope that is what we get.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back