News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Golf needs friends right now.

Our beloved sport has so much to offer and is so wonderful yet a newbie would be hard pressed to glean this by tuning into the weekly telecast of the drab PGA Tour. Indeed, across the media landscape, Ben and I can’t readily find a source of inspiration to delve deeper into the ancient game.

Rather than just whine, let’s do something about it. GolfClubAtlas.com is starting a new section entitled ‘Best of Golf.’ It will highlight various aspects that reveal the game’s essence. This new feature will replace the Art & Architecture section, which will roll up underneath the new section.

The Best of Golf will include many things: detailed descriptions of the game’s great holes, superb greenkeeping practices, special traditions (e.g. President’s Putter), favorite locker rooms (e.g. the barn at Forest Creek), neat customs (e.g. kummel at Prestwick), cool items (e.g. hand-made specialties, be it equipment or MacKenzie golf bags), people (e.g. Harry Easterly), must read books, etc. Ideally, if someone were to ask why you are such a nutter for golf, you will be able to direct them to this section as proof of the game’s many faceted pulls.

As a first entry, I have penned a detailed analysis of the mighty 5th  hole at Pinehurst. My next effort will be a personal version of Pat Ward-Thomas’s Best 18. Hopefully, someone will pen an article on George Bahto, the Man. How about a once in a lifetime golf trip you took with your son? A 1,500 word essay on an epic match, like when my birdie dropped at 17 at Sand Hills and Pat Mucci burst into flames at losing 2&1 to a guy with hickories? ;D What about one on the life of a Greenkeeper? A chronicle on one of the GCA events?

As you can tell, this section will step outside the strict confines of golf course architecture. We do so for the reasons stated above. Plus, the number of In My Opinion pieces submitted over the past ~nine months has been disappointing. We hope that by expanding the range of topics additional impassioned/compelling articles will be presented.

We will take it live soon. I make this post ahead of time because Ben and I aren’t entirely sold on the prosaic name ‘Best of Golf.’ ‘Best’ is used so often these days as to have lost its meaning. Joe Andriole thinks it should be “Exemplars”  ::)  ;) and we have batted around “Elysian Fields” as well. ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE MOST WELCOME but they need to be three words or less.

Anyway, we hope that you will enjoy this new and expanded offering on GolfClubAtlas.com.

Best,

Garland Bayley

Re: A new section coming to GolfClubAtlas.com - and a question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 02:23:58 PM »
Apogees of Golf
Golfing Zeniths
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:26:22 PM »
Ran,

Great idea.

The locker room at Forest Creek is worthy of detailed description...a neat place!

Just an idea...how about a running series of "Golf Road Trips" featuring easy, scenic, road trip itineraries featuring high quality (public) golf along with lodging, restaurant, and attraction features? For example: Golf Road Trips: Wisconsin or Golf Road Trips: the Dakotas.
H.P.S.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 02:31:52 PM »
How about "Soul of golf" Ran? The best golfing moments for me are when i am playing a course that speaks to my soul - moments when you feel privileged to be there, happy to be alive.  I think that "soul" helps capture an elusive element of the game which is why we all love it so much -  an element that goes beyond merely playing the game or intellectual style GCA analysis, talking instead to a mix of the beauty of the landscape, the history of the game and the courses, the literature, the lore......Most of us love other sports too, but few have this mix that golf offers.

Philip

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 02:34:48 PM »
The Best Game
On The Bus
For The Ages
Why We Golf
Inspiration
Meditations
The Muse

Excellent call.  I'm much more likely to contribute to this than In My Opinion.  2 stories already teed up...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 02:36:34 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Dan Kelly

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 02:36:09 PM »
The Lure of Golf (four words, but alll short!)

The Honourable Game

The Greatest Game

Why We Play

Fore! Golf's Best...

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Michael Felton

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 02:41:22 PM »
How about "Soul of golf" Ran? The best golfing moments for me are when i am playing a course that speaks to my soul - moments when you feel privileged to be there, happy to be alive.  I think that "soul" helps capture an elusive element of the game which is why we all love it so much -  an element that goes beyond merely playing the game or intellectual style GCA analysis, talking instead to a mix of the beauty of the landscape, the history of the game and the courses, the literature, the lore......Most of us love other sports too, but few have this mix that golf offers.

Philip

I like this idea, but I would say Spirit rather than Soul. "Spirit of golf" - could also have a piece in there about great 19th hole traditions and call it "Spirits of golf".

Another option would be to go slightly abstract and call it "Fairways and Greens".

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 02:42:24 PM »
I like Best of Golf over the other suggestions.  I like the idea of the section.  I have been itching to do another opinion piece but I do not necessarily want to write about my golf course and the other topics that occur to me would need to be contorted to come under the heading of golf architecture.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 02:44:31 PM »
I like Best of Golf over the other suggestions.  I like the idea of the section.  I have been itching to do another opinion piece but I do not necessarily want to write about my golf course and the other topics that occur to me would need to be contorted to come under the heading of golf architecture.

How about a piece on how to be a spring break chaperone with a little golf mixed in?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 02:48:59 PM »
Golf The Dream
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Dan Kelly

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 02:52:18 PM »

Agreed. I would write for this section -- so long as it contains short essays.

Isn't "Best of Golf" the tagline for Links Magazine? I think it is -- and that makes me not like it.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 02:55:25 PM »
Love it!

Matt Bosela

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
Cool idea - just using your own words, why not simply call the section "Essence of Golf"?

Robert Emmons

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 03:05:20 PM »
Thx as always...RHE

Rich Goodale

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 03:25:12 PM »
"Experiences"
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 03:28:15 PM »
Love all of these ideas.  This will make for a great addition to the site.  There is a lot of great writing on this site in the form of course reviews, etc. and it would be great to see this expanded into a broader array of topics that all still connect back to the essence of this site.

An article about George Bahto is a perfect example.  As a newbie to this site, I only became familiar with George through the many posts in the last few months, and I was eager to learn more about him as a man.  Maybe that is just the writer in me, but I really wanted to know his backstory.  These types of human interest profiles would add a great dimension to this site.

Detailed chronicles of GCA events are equally appealing to me as a reader and eventually as a writer once I finally get the time to attend one.  

Also a big fan of the road trip breakdown idea proposed by PCraig -- in addition to being an incredibly useful planning tool, it could be some really fun travel writing in many ways.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 03:30:18 PM »
Living The Links
The Living Links
Links Life List
One More Round
An Alternate Routing

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 04:00:06 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 03:30:34 PM »
A Golfers Chapbook
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 03:36:51 PM »
Great idea, well done.

May I asked if the flames were green when Mucci spontaneously combusted?
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Bill_Yates

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 03:37:18 PM »
Ran,
You already said it in the first three words of your introduction.

"Our Beloved Sport"

Let's face it, we all have a love affair with golf. Why not just admit it?
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

Bill Brightly

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 03:38:21 PM »
Of the ideas suggested so far, I like:

The Essence of Golf
The Spirit of the Game
Why We Play

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »
Essence of Golf, or even less "stuck up", Our Game, simple and concise and this is "our" site lets flaunt it together.

Great idea Ran, but please lets not allow this to turn into an arse kissing opportunity towards certain architects, golf courses, products we have enough of that already lets try to keep this is pure and intimate and as individually heart felt as possible.
jmo

mwp

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 03:50:50 PM »
Essence of Golf, or even less "stuck up", Our Game, simple and concise and this is "our" site lets flaunt it together.

Really like the sound of "Our Game" -- that has a simple yet strong tone to it.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 03:51:23 PM »
Golflanders

Capture evil, unleash good! Embark on the spirit and tradition of the game with Golflanders!

I always thought of this website, GCA.com, as a cast of characters. See reference point http://www.skylanders.com.

Want to go traditional?

The Artisans Club with inspiration from clubs like: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Walton-Heath-Artisans-Golf-Club/152712134891585
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 03:53:54 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 03:59:13 PM »
With a nod to Darwin:
Ran's Sketchbook
The GCA Sketchbook
The Sketchbook
Our Sketchbook
Sketchbook
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 04:00:55 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back