News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Have any been built in the last 20 years?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 03:21:23 PM by BCowan »

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Courses built in last 20 years on 140 acres or less
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 11:04:45 AM »
There have been a good number in GB&I.

That said, a tight site 70 years ago is a different size to a tight site now.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:57:40 PM »
New 18-hole courses?  I doubt there are many.  But there are lots of remodels that don't have any more property than that to work with.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 03:05:43 PM »
Rooster Run, a muni in Petaluma CA, can't be built on too much more than 140 acres. Aside from a spacious driving range, the course is pretty compact.

BCowan

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 03:13:26 PM »
A quick deviation from my own question, did any archies turn down a project during the boom years due to lack of sufficient land (140 acres) for example?

TD,

New 18 hole courses (20 years)

Jud_T

The Crossings at Carlsbad has to be less than 140 acres.  Then again it's a dogtrack that's unplayable in a 2 club wind, although I'm not sure that's entirely the fault of the acreage...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brian Finn

The Crossings at Carlsbad has to be less than 140 acres.  Then again it's a dogtrack that's unplayable in a 2 club wind, although I'm not sure that's entirely the fault of the acreage...

The Crossings sits on approximately 400 acres, but 220 of those could not have golf on them, due to protection of endangered species and preservation of archaeological areas.  That left 180 (rather disconnected) acres for potential golf course.  Horrible site selection is to blame for most of their issues, which date back about 30 years (and $65mm).  How much of that acreage is really suited for a golf course?  Certainly less than 140.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Bill_McBride

Pensacola Country Club is on less than 120 acres. 

Pete_Pittock

How big are Bandon, Pacific and Old Mac. They seem to have small footprints.
Does the 7,000 yard threshhold and liability concerns make 140 acres the minimum?

Andrew Buck

Probably several housing development courses where the course itself resides on under that.

jeffwarne

East Hampton GC
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Garland Bayley

How big are Bandon, Pacific and Old Mac. They seem to have small footprints.
Does the 7,000 yard threshhold and liability concerns make 140 acres the minimum?

A conservative estimate from a Google Earth measurement puts Bandon Dunes at over 200 acres.
I suspect the others are in the same ball park.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Hetzel

I know that Eaglesticks GC new Zanesville is touted as to being on 150 acres. I don't know how old the course is however.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

BCowan

I know that Eaglesticks GC new Zanesville is touted as to being on 150 acres. I don't know how old the course is however.

Good one Richard.  I wish id of played it when i lived in Cbus.  I like Hurzdan. 

Brian Finn

Good one Richard.  I wish id of played it when i lived in Cbus.  I like Hurzdan. 

I've enjoyed my handful of rounds at Eaglesticks. It is a lot of fun.  I believe it opened around 1990.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

paul cowley

I've built two:

Orchard Creek - Altamont NY

Ocean Creek - Fripp Island SC
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Dean DiBerardino

How about Caledonia?

Jim_Kennedy

Lazy Swan GC - Saugerties, NY - 115+_ acs.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:46:25 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Richard Hetzel

I wonder if The Fortress in Frankenmuth, Michigan is on less than 140-150 acres. It's a pretty COMPACT 18 hole course…..the course was fun, and really didn't feel too crowded…

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:54:47 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Russ Arbuthnot

Blackheath (1989, Kevin Aldridge) in Rochester Hills, MI is right at 140.

Andrew Buck

Senica's Oak Ridge in LaSalle, IL comes in a 130 acres excluding parking lot/clubhouse based on mapquest.  They did squeeze about as much as you could out of the property to have 6,900'ish yards.  I think it was built in 1996. 

Kyle Henderson

Bartley Cavanaugh on the southern border of Sacramento, CA.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Dan_Callahan

Anyone know how many acres Wintonbury Hills in Connecticut covers? Doesn't seem like all that much.

Jaeger Kovich

Anyone know how many acres Wintonbury Hills in Connecticut covers? Doesn't seem like all that much.

I doubt it, there is some steep enough stuff there I find it unlikely you could do it in under 140.

Jimmy Chandler

How about Caledonia?

Opened in January 1994, so just over 20 years ago. According to Michael Whitaker, it's on 110 acres.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=20558.25;wap2

And a course I think deserves more GCA love than it gets. Admittedly, I played it only once and my impression may be influenced by shooting a good score for me :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back