News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cody Carroll

The Landings at Skidaway Island.
« on: May 27, 2014, 09:39:33 PM »
Hey guys, tomorrow I am playing the Plantation and Marshwood courses at the Landings. Have any of you guys played these? If so, what should I expect? I am really looking forward too it. It should be fun if the weather holds out!

Mike_Young

Re: The Landings at Skidaway Island.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:48:09 PM »
Cody,
I used to play them much when they were first opened but have not in recent years.  Have fun.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 08:01:21 AM »
I have played Deer Creek and enjoyed it very much.  I have not played any of the others.  Have fun!

Cody Carroll

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 11:45:31 PM »
All I can say is wow! I played 36 holes on the Plantation and the Marsh Wood courses. The Plantation is a Willard Byrd design and is remarkable. The tees are zoysia, the fairways and rough are celebration bermuda, and the greens are Tif-Eagle.

Here are some holes too note.

1. The opening hole is a 425 yard par 4. It is a slight dogleg right with a bunker about 280 on the outside of the dogleg. The tee shot fairways a baby left to right shot. The green is open in the front( something very common on the linksy Plantation course) and is around 15 yards wide and 55 yards long! It is protected on both sides by bunkers. The greens were rolling a 10.5 and were nice and firm and true.

3. The third hole is a 149 yard par 3. The tee box and green is snuggled right up to the marsh where you can see miles upon miles of marsh. The green is sloped severely left to right towards the marsh which is short right all the way to long right. There are two bunkers just left of the green leaving a challenging up and down.

4. Four is a classic cape style par 4 that is 405 yards. The safe shot is about a 240 shot down the middle, or you can pull driver and bite off as much of this dogleg left with water on the inside of the dogleg as you dare. The green is pretty flat with some fun hole locations.

8. The eighth hole is a skyline par 3 green that is 192 yards long. There is a bunker short right and left with the marsh and ocean long. The green slopes from back right to front left towards the front left collection area.

9. Nine is the second of the three ocean/ marsh holes. It is a par 5 of 504 yards that is the true definition of a risk reward par 5. The tee shot is to a fairway with marsh all down the left side and the hole doglegs that direction. If you favor the left side on the tee, you can go for the green all carry over the over the water to another skyline green or layup right of a group of trees that make going for the green from the right side difficult. The green is 60 yards deep with marsh left and bunkers right. Threes to eights have been made on this hole.

10. The last of the three marsh holes is a short 345 yard par 4. The fairway is angled to the left where you can bite off as much as you can chew of the marsh. If you bailout right, you will be blocked out by huge oak trees. The green has a front tier and back tier. You can spin the ball off the backstop to a front pin. There are bunkers front left and back right.

15. This 381 yard straightaway par 5 with marsh down the right and ob left. This is a tight tee shot where the main goal is to hit the fairway to leave yourself a short iron into this well protected green with a huge bunker right and marsh further right and long.

18. The home hole is a 512 yard par 5 par 5 double dogleg left. On the tee shot if you want a look at the green for your 2nd, you have to hit a right to left shot and skirt past the oak trees on the left and bunkers on the right. On the 2nd shot the green slopes middle to front, then middle to back. It has two tiers running opposite directions. If you lay up, you have to watch out for water down the right. This is another hole where anything from 3-8 can me made easily.

That was a quick overview of some of the best holes on the Plantation at The Landings at Skidaway Island. I will do the Marsh Wood course at a later date.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 12:40:23 PM by Cody Carroll »

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 10:27:35 AM »
I think it's 'Willard' Byrd.

An under-appreciated architect, btw. He did some good courses in the SE.

Bob

Cody Carroll

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 12:42:28 PM »
I think it's 'Willard' Byrd.

An under-appreciated architect, btw. He did some good courses in the SE.

Bob

My bad. Stupid autocorrect! 😂 I agree that he is under-appreciated. I really enjoyed the course. It was subtle and really used the marsh to his advantage. It was definitely a shot makers course!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back