News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Bielawa

Tampa Buddies Trip
« on: May 27, 2014, 08:45:52 PM »
I know plenty of stuff has been posted in the past on Tampa, but I need some suggestions for buddies trip courses that would be good value and would be enjoyable for people who aren't architecture geeks like me/us.  We know of Streamsong and WW obviously, and are probably going to pass on the Innisbrook route.  My group has mentioned the TPC, Dunedin, Bardmoor, Westchase, Lake Jovita, Babe Zaharias, Fox Hollow, and Avila as possible options.  Do any of those do anything for you guys?  We usually play 4-6 rounds over 4 days, and we're going in October.  Most of the guys would be fine with courses in the $50-$70 range, and would consider splurging for 1-2 rounds, but probably want to keep the golf below $75 per round on average, if possible.  Just looking for public access....no privates necessary.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Will Peterson

Re: Tampa Buddies Trip
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:08:13 PM »
Lake Jovita is a bit of a drive from Tampa (30-90 minutes depending on where you are staying), but one of the better in the area.  It has 36 holes which makes an easy two round day.  It's not your typical Florida course with tons of water and swamps, and the land has a decent amount of movement.  There are definitely some questionable holes on both courses, but I've played them both a number of times, and enjoyed myself.  They are known for super fast greens, so people that aren't super into design seem really excited about the place.

TPC Tampa is worth a visit.  Nothing spectacular, but usually a good deal, especially for FL residents.  In season rates might be a bit high, but everything is.  18 is a beast of a finisher.

Haven't played the others on your list.   

J_ Crisham

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 09:12:57 PM »
Matt,  The Dunes at Seville is pretty solid- nice rugged architecture with good movement to the property. Very affordable- $50-60. Easy to walk.  Not far from WW as I recall.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 09:25:17 PM »
Matt,  The Dunes at Seville is pretty solid- nice rugged architecture with good movement to the property. Very affordable- $50-60. Easy to walk.  Not far from WW as I recall.

How about Brooksville CC? It would certainly be better than Bardmoor or Westchase.

When we lived in Tampa I really enjoyed Bloomingdale Golfers Club as my regular course. However, a few years ago trusted GCA sources mentioned that it had slipped a bit. I'd love to hear a report from anyone in the know.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:28:43 PM by Matthew Sander »

BCowan

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 09:41:11 PM »
El Diablo (Citrus Springs)

Cody Carroll

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 09:47:52 PM »
I highly recommend East Lake Woodlands. I have only played the south which is supposed to be the lesser of the 2, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The course was in great condition and the layout made you really think of what club of the tee, as your main job off the tee was to put the ball in a good position for the next shot. The short par 3 14 is great. I loved the entire back 9 at the course. Also, they have a cool practice facility with a 160> range and a full range. Also a 12,000 square foot putting green and a practice bunker. You also can't forget the greens are a consistent 11. The course is private, but they are club corp and seem to be pretty cool about there visitor policy. I played it without a connection for 30 bucks with a cart. If you get the chance don't pass it up.

Cody C.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 10:04:24 PM »
Cleveland Heights in Lakeland is an old Flynn, but I don't think it is worth the drive from Tampa unless you are a huge Flynn guy. Classic muni, very basic with a few neat greens.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 10:40:40 PM »
World Woods!!
About an hour north of Tampa.
36 holes, both courses different, great practice facility and you get a day rate there of $100 a day or so.

Both courses ranked top 100 placed you can play.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 11:29:38 AM »
World Woods is an obvious must play, play both courses and then have an "emergency nine" on the 9 hole course; 3 practice holes to settle any leftover bets! Brooksville is very good and quite close to WW; the new quarry holes are very interesting, the Ross hole deliver on a subtle basis.

I was very dissapointed with TPC Tampa: I can see why Tour Pros make so many putts, those were the second flattest greens I've ever played.

There are 36 holes at The Eagles, right by Tampa Bay Downs Race Track; you could combine golf and a day at the Track there. It's just north of Tampa in Odessa.

I used to really enjoy the Ross course at Bellview Biltmore, right on the Intercoastal Waterway near Clearwater; they had a renovation just a few years ago. Not sure of their status, the huge wooden Victorian Hotel is on site; well worth a look if they allow outside play.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 11:35:21 AM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Greg Tallman

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 11:55:39 AM »
Cleveland Heights in Lakeland is an old Flynn, but I don't think it is worth the drive from Tampa unless you are a huge Flynn guy. Classic muni, very basic with a few neat greens.

Sorry, I lived in Lakeland for many years and I would not cross the street to play CH.

If you are a hard core junky like most on here go see Scotland Yards in Dade City. 60% of the course on very cool terrain with a few neat green complexes on the flatter side of the course. Super low key place, very inexpensive and wonderful people as owners/operators.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 12:28:11 PM by Greg Tallman »

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 12:04:52 PM »
The 2 courses at World Woods are great and very different from each other. It makes for a very easy 36 hole day.  And it's probably one of the best values in the US.  Pine Barrens is the stronger course, but some of your group will like Rolling Oaks better.

I would go there twice during your trip.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 12:26:34 PM »
Wow.  A ton of questionable information on this thread Matt. 

Per your PM a VRBO rental downtown would be fine but you'll end up doing quite a bit of driving as there is very little public (or private for that matter) golf within 25 minutes.  A better bet would be to call JR at http://www.emeraldgreensresort.com/ which is on the property of Carrolwood Country Club.  The lodging is excellent for the price.  There is a full kitchen in each unit.  He can also set you up with tee times at a number of courses in the area.  CCC is a fun golf course with excellent greens.   I would certainly make a point to play there at least one day.  There are a ton of restaurant options within 5 minutes and downtown Tampa/South Tampa is only 20 minutes south.   

He has access to the tee sheet at TPC Tampa Bay, Southern Hills Plantation, World Woods and a number of other courses at very competitive rates.   

If I were on a budget in Tampa for an October trip, I would play/consider the following:

Streamsong:  at least for one round and the pricing should be decent in October
World Woods: a fun day at a good price
SHP:   Good golf course with a ton of elevation change, unique to FL
TPC:  Wonderful condition and really close to Emerald Greens  (I have no idea what Pete was thinking saying the greens are flat?)
Lake Jovita:  36 of holes of very good golf

I would avoid Bardmoor, Babe Zaharias and Westchase at all costs.  Avila is private.   

Let me know if you need any dining recs.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 12:35:45 PM »
I concur with Ben that World Woods and Streamsong are can't miss.

As for top of the list for dining in Tampa:

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Greg Tallman

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 12:53:22 PM »
Can we, as a group, respect the original post and acknowledge that Matt states he knows all about SS and WW and would like to keep the cost in the $50-$70 range?

That said by all means make Bern's a part of the trip.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 12:54:55 PM by Greg Tallman »

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 01:25:28 PM »
TPC:  Wonderful condition and really close to Emerald Greens  (I have no idea what Pete was thinking saying the greens are flat?)

Honestly, I never aimed so many putts in the hole than at that course; perhaps we had some easy pin placements that day. I do remeber one green with significant undulation, the long par 4 on the back nine at the far end of the property.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jason Topp

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 02:47:42 PM »
I recommend figuring a way to play with Ben and some of the people he drags to Minnesota each summer.  It will be life changing but not necessarily in a good way.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 08:11:48 PM »

Honestly, I never aimed so many putts in the hole than at that course; perhaps we had some easy pin placements that day. I do remeber one green with significant undulation, the long par 4 on the back nine at the far end of the property.

I understand and I missed that in the post.
However, if that is the case, then I see no reason to bring buddies to Tampa for mediocre golf when world class golf is just an hour away.

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 08:23:54 PM »
Sticking to the original premise
Dunedin is very enjoyable-nice classic feel, Dunes at Seville quite good,
Brooksville CC is pretty good and very budget friendly, El Diablo is interesting and in the budget but may not have any grass prior to overseeding
Lake Jovita is enjoyable and one stop shopping

I'd pick 3-4 ,combine them with World Woods and you'd easily meet your budget.
WW in October is probably in your budget anyway.

Don't think i'd stay in Tampa more than one night though with that itinerary
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 10:21:58 AM »

Don't think i'd stay in Tampa more than one night though with that itinerary

Jeff,

Where would you stay?  I could see The Plantation Inn for a night, maybe two but these are relatively young guys and Brooksville is an absolute dump.   

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 10:46:02 AM »
I'd saty one night or two in Tampa ;) ;) ;D for sure but, for Brooksville area golf I stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Brooksville.
Steakhouse just west of it had reasonable talent ;) and bowling is nearby and cheap
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jason Thurman

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 10:56:23 AM »
Can we, as a group, respect the original post and acknowledge that Matt states he knows all about SS and WW and would like to keep the cost in the $50-$70 range?

That said by all means make Bern's a part of the trip.

I really love threads like this.

"Hey guys, I'm looking for affordable, enjoyable golf at a good value for a buddies trip with some guys who aren't architecture geeks."

It's never more than a few posts before someone basically just replies "Get new friends!" There's at least a 20% chance that someone suggests Seminole before this is all said and done, or just flat out canceling the trip and taking them to Bandon instead.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Keith Grande

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 11:12:25 AM »
I'll second Emerald Greens/Carrolwood as your home base.  There are three nines with a nice layout, the clubhouse and staff at Carrolwood are fantastic, a great outdoor patio to congregate after the round with your group.  The Emerald Greens Condo is right across the lot from Carrolwood.  You can play Carrolwood on your arrival and departure days without running out of time. 

TPC Tampa is a good option as they usually have a $99 fee with free replay in the afternoon.

For a bargain price, you can try the Claw at USF.  Probably your best bet for firm and fast.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 04:03:08 PM »
One of the better places to play in Tampa is called "Mons Venus" on Dale Mabry.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 04:11:33 PM »

Fast and firm?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »

Fast and firm?

Very fast and firm though perhaps a bit manufactured for GCA types.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back