News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

GB&I courses you wish you hadn't played
« on: May 27, 2014, 01:11:21 PM »
It's great to hear about the courses that folk posting herein have played in GB&I.

I'd be interested to know however, which courses you wish you hadn't played and the reason(s) why.

atb

Paul Carey

Re: GB&I courses you wish you hadn't played
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 01:19:39 PM »
Druids Glen in Ireland.  The course is fine but I really didn't want to play a soggy, parkland course with lakes and ponds.  From now on I will only go on trips where I play links golf.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 01:29:11 PM »
ROYAL COUNTY DOWN

Now most every other golf course sucks.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 01:34:33 PM »
Touche Mr Plumart
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:49:19 PM »
Would be a lovely problem to have :), but, no, not a single regret in the dozen or so I've played over three visits to the UK.

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 01:55:19 PM »
I would think that my only regrets would be from getting poor value for money or by meeting a bad attitude from club staff or members. Off hand I can't think of anywhere I got poor value for money but then that might be more to do with my Scottish genes and never knowingly over paying. I can think of a couple of occasions where I met someone who was a bit off hand but not to the extent of spoiling my game.

Overall, I tend to get something out of even the poorer courses so honestly can't say I wish I hadn't played.

Niall

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 02:02:03 PM »
ROYAL COUNTY DOWN

Now most every other golf course sucks.

Mac,

I am tempted to agree with your suggestion. However, since RCD is pretty unique I never really expected any other course to be like it.
Tim Weiman

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 02:16:25 PM »
I have played over 40 courses in GB&I. I don't regret playing any of them. On the other hand, Galway GC is probably one course I have no desire to play again.

Paul Jones

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 02:24:15 PM »
I enjoyed all the courses I have played in GB&I - the only I am on the fence is Old Head.  That was a long drive down and back from Lahinch/Ballybunion for a decent (not great) course.  However, the views and piece of land is amazing.

Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 02:45:51 PM »
I have played almost a thousand over the years and though some have been very mundane I can only ever recall the Brabazon at the Belfry in its 1986 format as being a course I would never wish to play again from the point of view of being a terrible course with no redeeming features. Having said that the Derby which was the second course was only slightly better more through default than anything else.

The only place I would not return to because of a really bad experience would be Troon. Solid course but paying £135 (in 1991 when that was really a lot) to be treated like s#*t by the Secretary and the members we met was not a good experience >:(.

Jon

JESII

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 03:02:10 PM »
Has anyone played Kilkeel Golf Club about 30 minutes from Royal COunty Down?

Was only there as it was the alternate medal lay course in 1999 when the British Amateur was at RCD...WOW, what a contrast!!!

Tim Johnson

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 03:10:36 PM »
Monifieth, played it in 99 and while it was an enjoyable day and course, knowing what I know now of links golf, I would have selected another course in the area like tried TOC ballot. Booking was different back then, the internet has made booking a 2 week trip a walk in the park.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 03:12:59 PM »
I have played 190 courses in GB&I over the years.  There are some courses I didn't enjoy but very few I wish I has not played.  The K Club, Mt Juliet, Oxfordshire, Dromoland Castle, and a few others of that ilk.  There are hundreds of courses in the US like them. It took time away from others. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 06:42:42 PM »
Moor Allerton was a soggy bog and a dull design.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 07:19:54 PM »
Has anyone played Kilkeel Golf Club about 30 minutes from Royal COunty Down?

Was only there as it was the alternate medal lay course in 1999 when the British Amateur was at RCD...WOW, what a contrast!!!

We had dinner there twice during the 2007 Walker Cup because we stayed in Kilkeel and the only decent restaurant was closed.   The food was decent and the members and staff very friendly.   All we saw of the golf course was the 18th green below the clubhouse. 

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 08:53:18 PM »
K Club-  ok parkland course
Carton - Montgomery course, don't get what he was trying to do.........

Nice comment Mac

Scott Warren

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 08:58:39 PM »
I'm tempted to say The European Club, but then think of all the brilliant emails I would have missed out on from "David Copperfield".  ;D

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 12:03:13 AM »
I've played 71 in GB&I and the only round I regret is one I played at Lytham & St Annes... not because of the course, but because it was pouring rain and I mostly just remember looking at the ground as I trudged along... plus, I lost a few quid to the Baildon Butcher.  :(
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 01:59:28 AM »
My self declared mission on here is to warn people off The Vale. I was there with a society and shell shocked from round 1 I somehow endured a second 5 1/2 hours of hell the second day.

I've listed things before and even 10 years later and with the memories are getting a little hazier the pain is still felt as keenly.

- NO apparent effective drainage in one of the wettest parts of the UK - so push carts were restricted to the cart path.
- Championship length, with all the cart paths on the outside of doglegs.  Hence to play one par 4 might mean meant 800 yards of walking. And that was just the stuff ON the course.
- blatant poor copies of such templates as the 10th at the Belfry, but this time "improved" by playing straight at the lake! 
- features like the 85 yard WIDE green with the rockery from a 70's gardening programme behind it.

I could go on but I've said it all before, in much stronger terms.

(Thomas I understand the Welsh Rugby team train here - to me that perfectly explains their current listlessness and lack of joy ;))

The sad thing is that after this experience I tended to avoid all new courses for the next 5 or so years.   Therefore I wasn't to know that it is a class of it's own for ineptitude.

Just checked the Top 100 website
http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/productdetails.asp?id=372

So it's already changed it's name and despite the lack of enthusisam from the posters it has risen to no 30 in Wales.
I wonder what the boards reviewer was comped?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 03:19:06 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 02:08:49 AM »
There are quite a few "local" courses I would have been happy never to play, but I can't think of a single big gun I regret.  There are plenty which didn't impress and I won't revisit, but none I wouldn't have wanted to see.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 03:57:39 AM »
The worst course I played in the UK was at St Andrews and I thoroughly enjoyed that one (Strathtyrum).

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 04:05:05 AM »
Another comes to mind in the UK:  Ramside Hall.  Dull parkland layout with the kicker of internal out of bounds between adjoining holes.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 04:08:43 AM »
Just shows how many overseas visitors are/were suckered into playing high end Irish garbage when some of the best courses in the world were a short drive away.
Cave Nil Vino

Paul Dolton

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 04:18:23 AM »
Maesdu in north wales for me. The pro wouldn't let us nip out as a two ball in front of a society who held us up in morning round. The course was very average. They always use pics of the far end of the course by the sea which shows a hole on Maesdu but also holes on the more enjoyable North Wales Golf Club.

Infact the pro did us a favour as we played North Wales in the afternoon instead as well as a day there the following day.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 06:41:59 AM »
Thomas I understand the Welsh Rugby team train here - to me that perfectly explains their current listlessness and lack of joy ;)

Tony,

I reckon the listlessness and lack of joy has more to do with lack of £/Euros in comparison to fellow internationals and Lions colleagues playing for other countries, plus the ongoing and seemingly never ending infighting within the WRU.

As to The Vale (of Glamorgan), other folk have mentioned to me that it's not somewhere to go, unless that is, you wish to meet certain listless/joyless Welsh rugby players on a midnight jaunt down the M4 on a 'borrowed' golf buggy!

atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back