News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Old courses that could be mistaken for new courses
« on: May 23, 2014, 02:45:56 PM »
If you just landed from Mars and began touring plant earths golf courses any chance that when you toured Pine Valley you might mistakingly think that it is from our present era? What other older courses might also produce this kind of misperception?

I like this question from Randy on the other thread. I agree with his example.

Any other courses that could fit in to this category?

Robin_Hiseman

Re: Old courses that could be mistaken for new courses
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 03:02:44 PM »
Wentworth.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 03:19:51 PM by Robin_Hiseman »
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Jim Hoak

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 06:08:56 PM »
I don't get it.  Sorry.  Why do any of the courses mentioned look like most of the modern courses?  I must be dumb but I don't see the point of the question or the answers.  With the possible exception of Wentworth, none of the courses mentioned have the "manufactured," unnatural look I think is being referred to as modern.  Maybe someone can educate me what is meant by the question.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 06:29:11 PM »
Jim, apology accepted.

Muirfield? "The most orthodox of links." -- HW Wind

Not sure it fits -- might not be of the present day, rather just ahead of its time -- but I remember the first time playing Woking being shocked by its 'modern' feel. Just really surprised by the complexity of the greens. I was expecting something tamer.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 11:42:10 PM »
Using a lot of sod, especially purchased sod, will make any golf course feel newer.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 11:20:12 AM »
Wentworth.

+1.

I heard a naughty-black humour story about the re-do.

It goes like this.

Apparently Ernie and his design associates finished the re-do on holes 1-17 by 5.00pm on a Friday. So they went down the pub and then home for the weekend. When they came back to finish things off on the Monday morning they found that the 18th hole had been re-done over the weekend by the cleaners. Ouch!

:)

atb

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 07:05:45 PM »
Jim,

I don't think Randy was getting at a more manufactured look. The question came from the 'which era' thread. Current trends - and by that I mean those following a loose style template set by the minimalist leaders - still have a distinctly modern feel, even if they hark back to classic philosophies.

Pine Valley is one course that would sit well as a modern I would have thought. Perhaps Boston GC is its true modern equivalent.

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 07:16:12 PM »
What about Formby? 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back