News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Hollerbach

Scotland Trip - Logistics Question
« on: May 22, 2014, 04:18:01 PM »
Taking a trip to Scotland this October and I have an open day in my itinerary right now.

I'll be in Carnoustie on a Friday night and will be flying out of Edinburgh mid day Sunday. I figured North Berwick would be a great addition for Saturday afternoon. How much travel time should I budget to get from Carnoustie to North Berwick on Saturday morning and would I be better off spending Saturday night in North Berwick or staying back in Edinburgh before my flight on Sunday?

Greg Ohlendorf

Re: Scotland Trip - Logistics Question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 06:05:40 PM »
Ben,

If I remember right, the trip is at least a couple hours between Carnoustie and Berwick. Berwick is a must play if you can fit it in. If you are flying early on sunday, I'd head closer to the airport on Saturday night. If you are flying late, it really doesn't matter.

Have a good trip,

Greg

Alex Miller

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 07:11:55 PM »
Courses between Carnoustie and Edinburgh worth playing:

TOC
Kingsbarns
Eden
New
Elie
Castle Course
Crail (Balcomie ideally)
Lundin
Leven

That said, I was in Scotland last October and we drove in the morning from St. Andrews to North Berwick and played that afternoon. Your drive should be about 2hrs. and making that detour is doable if you've already got TOC on your itinerary.

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 07:48:29 PM »
I think North Berwick is members only on Saturday. At least Saturday AM.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 01:45:06 AM »
I think North Berwick is members only on Saturday. At least Saturday AM.

Correct.  Sat the 4th until 2.57 and 11th and theron until 1.54.

However the last few members times are unlikely to be taken up and if you book then you'll have a fast round and should be home well before dark. You may be joined by a member who played in the comp that morning.  Playing back into town in a soft autumn light casting long shadows across the rippled fairways, the knowledge that your trip is coming to an end...magic.

Use http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/classic/planner_main.jsp  for reliable journey times.  

North Berwick to the airport is easier than finding your way in and out of Edinburgh.  IMO

Lots of options, enjoy.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 07:42:16 AM »
Ben,

If I remember right, the trip is at least a couple hours between Carnoustie and Berwick. Berwick is a must play if you can fit it in. If you are flying early on sunday, I'd head closer to the airport on Saturday night. If you are flying late, it really doesn't matter.

Have a good trip,

Greg

Apologies for being pedantic but suggest plugging "North Berwick" into your satnav rather than "Berwick" otherwise the trip could be a bit longer.

Niall

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 11:08:58 AM »
Thank you all for your replies. you've been most helpful. It appears that getting to North Berwick from Carnoustie won't be that much of a hassle, I've booked a tee time for Saturday afternoon.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 05:26:44 AM »
Just have to be very careful circumnavigating Edinburgh.   My first trip we left the airport headed to North Berwick, exited a roundabout one too early and spent half an hour trying to find our way out of the harbor area.  This was pre-GPS.  If you aren't sure where to exit a roundabout, you can always go around one more time!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back