News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Tom

I have been trying to play Reigate for some time, but I can't get the Londoners out of bed for an unranked course  ;D  The other 9 holer down that very general way is Leckford.  Again, I couldn't convince a Londoner to play it last weekend - not ranked.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Niall C

Carnoustie on the way to Forfar

Tom_Doak

Tom

I have been trying to play Reigate for some time, but I can't get the Londoners out of bed for an unranked course  ;D  The other 9 holer down that very general way is Leckford.  Again, I couldn't convince a Londoner to play it last weekend - not ranked.   

Ciao

Sean:

I walked around Leckford the next-to-last day of my trip last fall, based on Paul Turner's profile a while back.  I liked it a lot, maybe even more than Reigate Heath although it has been so very long since I saw the latter, it is silly for me to try and compare them now.  The only problem with Leckford is that their corporate ownership structure was confusing, I really didn't know how to go about trying to arrange a game.  The place seemed not to be staffed at all when I was there.

Ken Moum

The one I truly regretted passing by last August while staying in Nairn and playing Fraserburgh was Royal Duff House.

Braid, remodeled by Mackenzie?

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

David_Tepper

Ken -

Duff House Royal is indeed worth a detour to visit.

DT

Rees Milikin

Aiken Golf Club probably gets passed over by most going to ANGC, Palmetto, Augusta CC, & Sage Valley.

Niall C

The one I truly regretted passing by last August while staying in Nairn and playing Fraserburgh was Royal Duff House.

Braid, remodeled by Mackenzie?

Ken

Ken

I echo David's recommendation of DHR (perhaps unique amongst Royal clubs in that the Royal comes at the end).

The architectural timeline from memory is;

1907 - Archie Simpson

1909 - Archie Simpson/Mure Fergusson

WW1 - part at least of the course used for growing crops

early 1920's - new layout by members of club

1923 ish - Dr MacKenzie redesigned and rebuilt the course. He kept very few of the individual hole routes and those he did I have to believe he effectively built a new hole with new greens/bunkers etc. As for Braid, I don't recall him being there other than I think an exhibition match.

Niall

Dan Herrmann

I pass by many, but I don't have access :)

Ryan Hillenbrand

John,

Right next to Swope in Kansas City is Hillcrest - a Donald Ross course that just emerged from bankruptcy last year after failing as a private club. Its still not out of the woods as its up for sale again - with talk it could become a business park and an executive course.

I played it for $45 last year.

Dan Kelly

On another note I just tried to find the write up of a local favorite of a poster on this site between Omaha and the Sand Hills.  Any ideas?

Using the new way to search the archives via Google (see Dan Herrmann's thread), I found it (though the pictures are missing):

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,11883.0.html

That the one, John?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John Kavanaugh

Thanks for the effort, but no.  This was a small country club.  Sadly it looks like my schedule is now full so no worries for this trip.

Pete Lavallee

How about Balboa Park on the way to Barona Creek; do I need to offer a three meat dinner and a ride to church to garner your interest?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Rich Goodale

I've probably driven by Boat of Garten 200+ times on my way to and from Dornoch over the past 36 years.  One of these days....
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

John Kavanaugh

How about Balboa Park on the way to Barona Creek; do I need to offer a three meat dinner and a ride to church to garner your interest?

I do regret not playing Balboa Park. I do believe that was the last time I went to church on a golf trip. I'll remind St Peter of your generosity if I get there first. You, Huntley and King...what a trip.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back