News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Sandy Smith

State of the Game with Ran Morrissett
« on: May 21, 2014, 11:13:30 PM »
In my opinion the podcast State of the Game with Geoff Shackelford and Micheal Clayton is truly the only place to get unbiased news and comments on golf. Today's interview with Mr Morrissett only strengthens my beliefs.
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Bill_McBride

Re: State of the Game with Ran Morrissett
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 11:16:27 PM »
Sandy, how do you get that?

Hello Vancouver!

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 11:21:21 PM »

Sandy Smith

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 11:28:24 PM »
Hi Bill, hopefully Mr Clayton's link works for you.
I really can't understand why this show hasn't gotten more traction on GCA.
They are on episode 39 and they are all very entertaining and informative.

Jason Hines

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 11:37:51 PM »
I have listened to every single episode and looking forward to the next...

David Davis

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 05:33:53 AM »
Sandy, thanks for posting about it.

Mike, appreciate the link as well.

It was an interesting show. Pinehurst will indeed be really interesting this year. Let's hope for fast and firm conditions.

It's amazing to me that there can be such a huge difference o views in the golf world. I guess GCA is so biased towards fast and firm conditioning and traditions of the game that the other half more or less keeps quiet. I rarely read anyone arguing for lush, green, overwatered fairways and 8 inch wrist breaking rough with fast susceptible greens and heavy tight treelined courses.

Yet what we see on tv with exception of the the Open is always that.

I guess the people in power must quietly hold this view and smirkingly say...we know better. Though I find it really hard to imagine that the USGA and PGA for example are comprised completely of people holding these non-GCA consensus view.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 08:43:17 AM »
I have listened to every single episode and looking forward to the next...

+1 ;D
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Sandy Smith

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 09:20:06 AM »
I forgot to mention that episode #29 featuring Brad Klein is truly epic.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 10:14:28 AM »
This is great historical perspective for GCA.COM newbies to here how Ran got this cyber phenomenon going whilst "down under". 

I'm only half way through the program, but the lingo and subject matter sure took me back to a special evening pub and grub pizza party at the Melbourne gang hideout -Motorino, after a Kingston Heath go around.   I could just be a fly on the wall and listen to those blokes yammer on all evening.  They really have a keen sense of sportsmanship and knowledge, with the added vernacular and wit to use the needle with skill.  ;D

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Eric Smith

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 11:00:29 AM »
I could just be a fly on the wall and listen to those blokes yammer on all evening.  They really have a keen sense of sportsmanship and knowledge, with the added vernacular and wit to use the needle with skill.  ;D

+1

I really enjoyed the dialogue and will try to make time to listen to some of the others. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Sandy.

Cliff Walston

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 11:04:56 AM »
For those who would like to download them on an IOS device to listen to on airplanes and such.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/state-of-the-game/id497208674?mt=2

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 11:10:17 AM »

Geoff Shackelford always posts a link to these on his website. Bill, I'm surprised you don't check into that site, very informative.

"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 02:20:29 PM »

Geoff Shackelford always posts a link to these on his website. Bill, I'm surprised you don't check into that site, very informative.

+1 :-*
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 09:58:26 PM »
Phenomenal podcast. I love how at the end of each episode Rod acts like they've taken up too much time and he'd be surprised if anyone was still even listening. Meanwhile, we just want the conversation to go on and on.

Episode #8 is an all-timer: "What have they done to Merion?"
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Terry Lavin

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 10:10:23 PM »
Phenomenal podcast. I love how at the end of each episode Rod acts like they've taken up too much time and he'd be surprised if anyone was still even listening. Meanwhile, we just want the conversation to go on and on.

Episode #8 is an all-timer: "What have they done to Merion?"

Interesting take. I listened for a half hour or so, but I've heard those stories before, so I went back to work. As for Merion, what did Geoff say?  He wound up getting seduced by the buzz and the aura of that great place, but I'm guessing he was more critical back in the year or so before the Open.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 10:40:54 PM »
Interesting take. I listened for a half hour or so, but I've heard those stories before, so I went back to work. As for Merion, what did Geoff say?  He wound up getting seduced by the buzz and the aura of that great place, but I'm guessing he was more critical back in the year or so before the Open.

Everyone on the show thinks the set-up during the Open was a disgrace, Geoff especially. In fact, they get into it again during the episode with Ran. They're all big fans of Merion, of course, but the vast majority of conversation about it, both before and after the tournament, was criticism of the set-up.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 11:43:59 PM »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 09:51:59 AM by Bill_McBride »

Josh Stevens

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 06:51:03 AM »
Non Americans have been fans of this show for some time.  It is not flattering to American golf and Ran has firmly cemented that position with his contribution this week
There are exceptions of course, Pinehurst it seems may save American golf in June, or it may not

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 08:04:30 AM »
Josh,

I'm not sure we are not fans of American golf. We certainly are not enamoured with many elements of it -  including carts,manufacturers (primarily American) emphasis on fairness v unpredictability and quirk,slow play, bad housing estate courses - but there are so many great courses in America doing much to elevate the game.
I thought Ran's point re Pinehurst was interesting.
The lack of rough could be great and drive a move to rid it from more courses but if the scores are low it will cement in the minds of many the need for it to 'defend' courses

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 08:10:48 AM »
Non Americans have been fans of this show for some time.  It is not flattering to American golf and Ran has firmly cemented that position with his contribution this week
There are exceptions of course, Pinehurst it seems may save American golf in June, or it may not

It is certainly not flattering to bad golf, regardless of location, and thank goodness for that. Even just in the Ran episode they were heavily critical of aspects of both Australian and UK golf.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 08:54:52 AM »
So the team seems to think No 2's greens are pushed up a bit, instead of flowing more naturally from the fairway contours?  Is that not what makes them such a challenge in this case?

I have never been there of course, but that would remind me a little perhaps of many greens at Royal Sydney - crowned greens falling off into deep hollows on all sides.

Is this a function of a flattish site? 

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 10:21:52 AM »
Is this a function of a flattish site? 

I believe the consensus of opinion is years of intensive topdressing without aerification, thus building up the greens far beyond what Donald Ross had envisioned.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Stephen Davis

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 11:44:56 AM »
I could just be a fly on the wall and listen to those blokes yammer on all evening.  They really have a keen sense of sportsmanship and knowledge, with the added vernacular and wit to use the needle with skill.  ;D

+1

I really enjoyed the dialogue and will try to make time to listen to some of the others. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Sandy.

Eric,  I have listened to every episode and they are for the most part are every interesting.

Mark, I too find it funny how Rod assumes that no one would possibly be listening for over an hour. My favorite episodes are the ones that have organically flowed and have gone "over" time.

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 03:42:11 PM »
I really like these podcasts, and will continue to listen to them as long as Geoff and Mike keep doing them. It's just fun to "listen in" on the conversation, even if I don't agree with more than 40% of the points being made! :)
H.P.S.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2014, 05:46:01 AM »
PCraig.

I'm not sure I agree with 40% of the things I say:)

Anyone with suggestions about future guests?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back