News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Josh Stevens

Re: State of the Game with Ran Morrissett
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2014, 06:10:28 AM »
Can you go and see a doctor and get your sniffle fixed.  Drives me barmy.

Donald Trump would never pass up a chance to have his voice heard

Jeff Tang

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2014, 10:13:28 AM »
PCraig.

I'm not sure I agree with 40% of the things I say:)

Anyone with suggestions about future guests?

I've listened to most but not all of these so apologize if any of these have already been done. But Mike Keiser and Herb Kohler would be very interesting given their current projects going on. Also how about Tom Doak!?

I really enjoy the podcasts.
So bad it's good!

David Stamm

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2014, 01:41:19 PM »
I've listened to all of them and they are captivating. This recent show with Ran was fantastic.

Mike, a really great show would be to have Coore & Crenshaw. Listening to them talk about certain architects and courses is fascinating. How about Mike Keiser? Ken Bakst? A show on rankings and their meaningfullness (or lack there of) would be interesting.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

John Mayhugh

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2014, 10:24:13 PM »
I have generally avoided podcasts because I like participating more than just listening. But I really enjoyed this one and have more of them queued up. Ran's discussion of the early days of GCA was fun.

Thanks so much for pointing this out, Sandy.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2014, 10:28:31 PM »
Is this a function of a flattish site? 

I believe the consensus of opinion is years of intensive topdressing without aerification, thus building up the greens far beyond what Donald Ross had envisioned.

Pete,

I would challenge the consensus.

I started playing Pinehurst in the early 60's and my dad started playing it in the 30's.

Those greens didn't get elevated vis a vis topdressing, they were built as elevated greens.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2014, 09:31:37 AM »
Is this a function of a flattish site? 

I believe the consensus of opinion is years of intensive topdressing without aerification, thus building up the greens far beyond what Donald Ross had envisioned.

Pete,

I would challenge the consensus.

I started playing Pinehurst in the early 60's and my dad started playing it in the 30's.

Those greens didn't get elevated vis a vis topdressing, they were built as elevated greens.

Is it possible they became even more elevated over the years?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2014, 09:42:14 AM »

Mike, I immediately thought of Doug Petersen. The retired Super at Austin G.C.. His knowledge about reduced inputs would be highly educational.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Terry Lavin

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »

Mike, I immediately thought of Doug Petersen. The retired Super at Austin G.C.. His knowledge about reduced inputs would be highly educational.

For the owner/operator perspective, I'd say Mike Young and/or Josh Lesnik.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Andrew Buck

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2014, 10:43:45 AM »
Finally got to listen to this edition.  I always love the podcast and could listen for hours, especially when focusing on architecture.  

That said, I can't help to find it discouraging to hear Ran, who is fortunate enough to live an area with some of the best courses in the country, say he needs to take a 6 hour flight to UK to play "proper golf".  In addition, I believe it was Ran who went on to indicate that sand is essential for good architecture.  

While on the surface, I certainly can understand the position and I'm sure it is partially off the cuff commentary that may be worded differently with deliberation, but it came across to me as "why bother if you can't both live in the best area for golf, and afford the greatest courses", which certainly goes against trying to grow the game.  This isn't to say we shouldn't state the preference for the better architecture, and promote the understanding of why sand soil makes for the best golf.  That said, I think architecture can still provide interesting and enjoyable golf on less desirable soils and even with some styles that aren't entirely "proper".  

Overall, a great listen and I agree with much of the commentary, I just think in some cases perfect can be the enemy of good when the message is you can't play proper golf in the Pinehurst/Mid-Pines area or that sandy soil is essential for the game.  I'd prefer to continue the movement for "better" in the steps we can.  
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 01:45:17 PM by Andrew Buck »

Paul Gray

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2014, 03:12:24 PM »
Andrew,

I'm sure Ran doesn't need me to defend him but, as you said, I'm sure the remarks were somewhat 'off the cuff.' In an attempt to argue for the virtues of 'proper golf' I know I can sometimes overstate the central roll of sand. Don't misunderstand me, I play links golf and wouldn't have it any other way but I'd never dispute that certain downlands sites, just as an example, can support excellent golf.

And let's not immediately associate links golf with top end exclusivity. Remember that many of the most enjoyable courses are low key, cheap and anything but exclusive. In fact, I do believe Ran commented that since Cruden Bay became a little more top end it's actually become a lesser experience, in terms of set up at least.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Andrew Buck

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2014, 03:45:54 PM »
Andrew,

I'm sure Ran doesn't need me to defend him but, as you said, I'm sure the remarks were somewhat 'off the cuff.' In an attempt to argue for the virtues of 'proper golf' I know I can sometimes overstate the central roll of sand. Don't misunderstand me, I play links golf and wouldn't have it any other way but I'd never dispute that certain downlands sites, just as an example, can support excellent golf.

And let's not immediately associate links golf with top end exclusivity. Remember that many of the most enjoyable courses are low key, cheap and anything but exclusive. In fact, I do believe Ran commented that since Cruden Bay became a little more top end it's actually become a lesser experience, in terms of set up at least.

Paul,

I understand the sentiment.  Reading my post, I probably should have said "live in the right area, OR afford exclusivity, as the stateside courses that were mentioned as proper were the Yeaman Hall type clubs.  

I really appreciate all Ran has done for this site and the advancement of architecture, there was just something about the absoluteness of the comments that struck me.  I think the game is good enough that it can be enjoyed where you are on the courses available in that area by most people.  Now, that doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking for ways to improve those courses in a budget friendly manner, nor that we shouldn't help educate on how fun a different style of golf can be.  
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:59:06 PM by Andrew Buck »

Sandy Smith

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2014, 04:09:08 PM »
Mike , here is a few guest ideas

Pete Dye
Peter Thomson
David Graham
Roger Cleveland
Frank Thomas
Eddie Merrins
Peter Alliss
Mike Keiser
Dean Beman
Mac O'Grady
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Paul Gray

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2014, 07:00:36 PM »
Andrew,

Well said.

I'm pretty sure we're all on the same page here. And a big thank you as you've just reminded me to ask Mike Young how his humble golf thing has been working out!
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2014, 09:29:26 PM »
Sandy - and others

Thanks for the suggestions.We have a few of those people on our list - and I especially like the Roger Cleveland suggestion. Not one anyone had thought of but I know he would be really interesting. If metal woods had never been made the world would be playing his woods by now. They were the best.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back