News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Carey

Edinburgh
« on: May 21, 2014, 06:57:40 PM »
I am heading to the UK for a trip that I did not plan on golf (wow) but my son-in-law and I may want to sneak out for a quick round when we are in Edinburgh.  Obviously we aren't getting on Muirfield, North Berwick or any other of that ilk with this late notice.  Any ideas or hidden gems?  We hope to get out, play and back in 5 hours so close is a must.

Thanks

Bart Bradley

Re: Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:18:10 PM »
I bet N Berwick would have openings. Did you try?  How about Gullane?

Paul Carey

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 07:34:05 PM »
I will try.  I figured too late for those.  Thanks. 

Carl Johnson

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 07:35:19 PM »
Any ideas or hidden gems?  

Thanks

You've mentioned North Berwick West Links.  So, if North Berwick is in your range and you can't make the West Links, I suggest the East Links, which is the Glen Club.  I'd put it in the hidden gem category.  Now, it is not the West Links.  But, you asked for an idea and a hidden gem and I would put the Glen Club in that category.  http://www.glengolfclub.co.uk/  Should not be a problem getting on.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:40:37 PM by Carl Johnson »

Stan Dodd

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 07:48:36 PM »
Try Braid Hills in Edinburgh cheap and fun.

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 10:56:23 PM »
Might be a good time to play Musselburgh.  I think they make hickories and gutties available if you are into that sort of thing.

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 11:09:01 PM »

+1
and never too late for anywhere else
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 01:11:54 AM »

Good call Stan.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 02:46:01 AM »
Try the Royal Burgess.  Its parkland within the city rather than links, but is the oldest club in the world, pre-dating those newbies at the honourable company by 9 years.

Its fun old school golf

Cristian

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 02:55:50 AM »
Might be a good time to play Musselburgh.  I think they make hickories and gutties available if you are into that sort of thing.

+1, especially if you are coming from the States/outside the UK. You want to play this course at least once.

http://www.musselburgholdlinks.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

Hickory club hire 35 UKP
Normal Club hire 18.50
Green fee 14.50 (Weekend)

Visit Mrs Forman's afterwards, return well within your 5 hours.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 03:10:08 AM »
+1, especially if you are coming from the States/outside the UK. You want to play this course at least once.
http://www.musselburgholdlinks.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1
Hickory club hire 35 UKP
Normal Club hire 18.50
Green fee 14.50 (Weekend)
Visit Mrs Forman's afterwards, return well within your 5 hours.

You don't get many opportunities like Musselburgh Old with hickories.

My suggestion - grasp the opportunity with both hands.

You can play steel/titanium and graphite anywhere. The opportunity to play hickory is rare.

Plus, playing hickory ought to enhance both your appreciation for the game of golf and your understanding of course architecture.

atb

Michael Graham

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 03:44:00 AM »
Hi Paul,

My club, Mortonhall (www.mortonhallgc.co.uk) is on the other side of the hill from Braid Hills. What dates will you be in Edinburgh? I'd be delighted to invite you and your son-in-law for a game.

Michael

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 04:26:25 AM »
Try the Royal Burgess.  Its parkland within the city rather than links, but is the oldest club in the world, pre-dating those newbies at the honourable company by 9 years.

Its fun old school golf

Hi Josh,

Talk about the age of golf clubs comes with some contention. There is proof the HCEG started in 1744, that the Royal Burgess Golf Club started in 1735 comes with less proof. I do agree that it is a wonderfully historic club though, and that they have a nice parkland course.

Scott

Josh Stevens

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 05:35:14 AM »
then Blackheath might stick their bib in

Good lunch at burgess however, and one can get a little linksed out and a parkland rest is needed

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 05:42:36 AM »
Almost certain to be able to get a time at Lundin Links or Elie but they may be pushing the 5 hour envelope.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Paul Carey

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 06:41:36 AM »
I thank you all for the great ideas.  I take off today for a few days in London to plan my Edinburgh golf.  I am surprised (pleasantly) that  access to fun and good golf is available.  Your ideas have me thinking of packing my own sticks and trying for two or three quick rounds.  Thanks again and I'll report back.  Paul

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 02:49:44 PM »
I thank you all for the great ideas.  I take off today for a few days in London to plan my Edinburgh golf.  I am surprised (pleasantly) that  access to fun and good golf is available.  Your ideas have me thinking of packing my own sticks and trying for two or three quick rounds.  Thanks again and I'll report back.  Paul

You won't be sorry!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back