News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Re: A Bunkering Journey
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 04:45:51 PM »
FBD,

I think the repetitive nosed bunkers at Spey Valley was one of my biggest frustrations. Daft really as the rest of the course is pretty decent, but then it does show a lack of imagination or creativity for me. Here was my photo tour from some years back
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45483.0.html
complete with pics of bunkers that could only have been created in the world of copy and paste on a computer  ;D

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 05:20:11 PM »
It's been interesting to hear of the use of the house bunker style on other Thomas courses. We've also stayed and played a few times at another MacDonald property - Cardrona, in the Borders, which once again (over?)uses the same detail. Seems the Thomas's are the go-to guys for the hotel chain.
I just feel it's such a shame to devalue the essence of the design process by taking what comes over as such a lazy approach to creating what should be some of the most interesting and engaging landforms on a golf course. A major opportunity to display your talent and creativity shouldn't be wasted in unimaginative, repetitive mundaneness.
What a pity,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 05:55:38 PM »
Marty,

but as the client is a hotel chain that tend to obsess about uniformity through its properties maybe it is not so surprising.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back