News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Character vs Caricature
« on: May 19, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »
The first is a defining element of greatness; the second describes the vast majority of modern golf course architecture.

Discuss.

Peter

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Character vs Caricature
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 12:01:32 PM »
The first is a defining element of greatness; the second describes the vast majority of modern golf course architecture.

Discuss.

Peter

As long as this isn't going to turn in to a minimalism versus non-minimalism thread, then I agree.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 12:09:25 PM »
If by "character" you mean one demanding shot after another then I disagree.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 12:12:27 PM »
If by "character" you mean one demanding shot after another then I disagree.

Replace demanding with intriguing or interesting and you have it

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 12:33:37 PM »
I read it nothing like Greg and Bill...

For me, it's more restraint versus abundance of features... or visionary versus copycat.... or everything in the right place versus everything all over the place...

BCrosby

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 01:51:28 PM »
As Ally says, the difference is the self confidence it takes to be restrained. Subtlety is never captured by caricature.

Bob

Mike_Young

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 02:25:20 PM »
hmmmmm....character has to be developed and caricature is often an exaggeration of specific features of a subject.  Caricature can capture a thought or position in a quick read. Modern RE ventures needed caricature much more than character.  John Wooden once said "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.  I think this can apply to golf courses also.  The reputation of the day is what sells RE. ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 05:03:34 PM »
Thanks. Always interesting to find out what different words mean to different posters. The minimalism-non minimalism debate didn't enter my mind (this time), and neither did challenging vs easy or penal vs strategic  (though I guess all of those might fit the question).

I was thinking out good courses, what they had in common, and "character" came to mind -- by which I mean a kind of unique and clear and unabashed personality, a quality of "isness" that each course wears proudly.

Off the top of my head (and just to select a few out of many): Carnoustie has character, and Seminole, and Notts. and Oakmont; Plainfield has character, and so too do Pasatiempo and Dornoch; I think Harbour Town has character, and Canterbury, and Mid Pines.

It's that strong personality, the proud "isness" and individuality (of purpose, of intention, of features) that is a course's true strength, it seems to me. And it is the borrowing and/or mixing and matching of features or intentions from several of these character filled courses at the same time/on the same course that can lead to caricatures.

Mike_Young

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 06:30:30 PM »
Peter,
I don't pretend to be a wordsmith but would it be a fair statement to say the features were found on the courses with "isness" and created on the caricature courses?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tony Ristola

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 06:48:13 PM »
Character... Time. Thought. Craftsmanship.

Caricature. Trends. Gimmicks. Mail-it-in. Hit-run-and-hope.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 07:01:17 PM »
Character is what you do when no one's looking. Therefore blindness.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 08:12:45 PM »
specific course .... What does Tobacco Road represent?  a blend of both?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 08:19:10 PM »
Mike - I honestly don't know if the difference is between 'found' and 'created'. For example, on none of the courses I mentioned above would I be able to tell what the original architect found and what he created, especially after all these years -- and yet, the over-all result is a feeling of character. Maybe as Tony suggests, Time is a big factor. But I'm not sure of that either.

Mark - terrific. That's the second in the line of greeting cards!

Carl - good question/example. I don't know the course except by photos (and honestly, from photos, have little desire to play it). But it does  seem to have the character of which I speak.

Peter

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 08:51:16 PM »
Well, let's see....

Many on this site would demand that all architects design to the ideals of the golden age....and now, if we do, we find the work is just a caricature of those classic works?  Can a modern architect win, without growing old and dying?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 10:15:51 PM »
Well, let's see....

Many on this site would demand that all architects design to the ideals of the golden age....and now, if we do, we find the work is just a caricature of those classic works? 

No: that's not caricature, that's homage. And yes there's not enough of that done, not really.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 11:16:18 PM »
specific course .... What does Tobacco Road represent?  a blend of both?

That is the first course I thought of when I saw the word "caricature".  I like the course, but all of Mike's work was exaggerated, like his drawing style.

I like Mike Young's take better.  Signature holes and the like are caricature.  That Winston Links place in Germany seemed like caricature, from the photos.  Loxahatchee was caricature.

The aerial photos of Cape Kidnappers are caricature ... but you do not play the course from a helicopter.

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 02:57:10 AM »
So it sounds as if built crazy/outside the box/interesting stuff is caricature and found/slightly enhanced crazy/outside the box/interesting stuff is character - or one way to look at the dichotomy?  Whenever these sorts of questions are posed I always think of the old stuff like Kington or Yelverton.  This quickly snaps me back to reality.  I want to see archies take risks where earthworks or subtlety is concerned.  To me, thats character.  Caricature is building the same bog standard hole (complete with bunkers in the "correct" spots) we have all seen a million times.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Josh Tarble

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 08:49:14 AM »
I would argue that what most people want is caricature with character. 

Let's take a place like Kinglsey.  I love it, most on here love it.  But you can't tell me some of the holes are not caricatures.  #13 through #17 are perfect examples.  The green on #13 wild to the point of cartoonishness, same with the giant kickplate and old-timey wall on #14, #15 is the tiniest green you've seen on a long 4, #16 is the most extreme version of a redan you could build and I don't think I need to say anything about #17  ;D

I mean this with all sincerity and respect, because I love the place.  But there are so many features that are caricatures of what's normal and the course is better because of it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back