News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re: Most Designs By State
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2014, 07:36:50 AM »
For South Carolina I would have guessed Tom Jackson, he has around 19 courses in SC. But, the winner, I think, is Tom Fazio... with 21!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2014, 07:43:51 AM »
I would guess Denis Griffiths in Georgia; around a dozen courses.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tom Yost

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2014, 09:55:13 AM »
Re: Greg Nash in AZ
 (list of ~40 courses)

Quite the gig Nash and Jeff Hardin had with Del Webb in the 70's/80's.  ~ 25 courses in the Sun City/Sun City West/Sun City Grand area alone.

Distant second would be Gary Panks followed by Jack Snyder, each with 20+ Arizona designs.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2014, 10:00:55 AM »

Ross has around 20 in GA.  Are there any modern guys that beat that?

Edit:  Apologizing to Mike Young, who noted his 21 GA designs earlier in the thread.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 10:29:40 AM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mike Schott

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2014, 10:04:49 AM »
There re a number of Art Hills courses in Michigan but Jerry Matthews probably is the most prolific.

Bendelow had 63 courses in Michigan, but looking at Matthew's list it looks like he blows that number away.

Thanks Sven. I had no idea Bendelow had done this much work in our fair state. I've played a few of these and had no idea he was the original architect.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2014, 10:18:05 AM »
Some Art Hills numbers:

FL - 49
KY - 5
MI - 27
OH - 15
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2014, 10:24:01 AM »
There re a number of Art Hills courses in Michigan but Jerry Matthews probably is the most prolific.

Bendelow had 63 courses in Michigan, but looking at Matthew's list it looks like he blows that number away.

Around 90 for JM.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2014, 10:30:25 AM »
My guess would be one of the Bells or Ted Robinson in Cali.

Robinson caps out around 80 for California.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2014, 11:33:15 AM »
I would have been so wrong for my home state of NJ. I would have guessed Bendelow. He built 19 with 9 NLE.

Tillinghast built 14.

But the winner is Mal Purdy with 26, not counting half a dozen par three course!

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2014, 11:57:06 AM »
On the eastern side of the state of Missouri it would have to be Gary Kern. Some of his best are Fox Run GC (private), Lake Forest CC (private), and Aberdeen (public). Aberdeen would be worth checking out if you're in the St Louis area - firm, links golf. Great variety of holes.

Unfortunately most of his courses are a mixed bag due to conditioning. He built most of the courses during the golf boom and most you can play now for $20-25.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2014, 12:31:41 PM »

Edit:  Apologizing to Mike Young, who noted his 21 GA designs earlier in the thread.

Indeed, my apologies to Mike; I looked at his website and was surprised to find that many!

I think Griffiths has designed or worked around two dozen course in GA over the years, FWIW.  I counted at least 16 original designs, so indeed Mike would be the leader in the clubhouse!

The Ross number, though, is probably too high.  The DRS website lists 18.  Of those, 4 were remodels, 6 were 9 holers, and 5 are NLE's.  There are less than a dozen 18 hole Ross designs, including 9 holers and remodels, in GA now, and at least a couple of those have been rendered largely unrecognizable beyond the routing.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 12:46:01 PM by A.G._Crockett »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2014, 12:50:35 PM »
Alaska - now that ought to be  a close race.  :)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike_Young

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2014, 01:36:38 PM »

Edit:  Apologizing to Mike Young, who noted his 21 GA designs earlier in the thread.

Indeed, my apologies to Mike; I looked at his website and was surprised to find that many!

I think Griffiths has designed or worked around two dozen course in GA over the years, FWIW.  I counted at least 16 original designs, so indeed Mike would be the leader in the clubhouse!

The Ross number, though, is probably too high.  The DRS website lists 18.  Of those, 4 were remodels, 6 were 9 holers, and 5 are NLE's.  There are less than a dozen 18 hole Ross designs, including 9 holers and remodels, in GA now, and at least a couple of those have been rendered largely unrecognizable beyond the routing.

A.G.,
I think I may be good on the originals designed and built with 21 or 22 but Dennis may have more rework than myself...not sure.  I do think the Ross is high.  Several of the one's they attrributed to Ross were not actually his.  I probably need to update my website.  Hope to add another new one to it very vert soon....Cheers.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tim Leahy

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2014, 05:43:14 PM »

80? That seems too high.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Sven Nilsen

Dan Kelly

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2014, 06:02:42 PM »
I haven't done my research (re: Don Herfort and Joel Goldstrand), but Harry Vardon's brother Tom has to be a contender in Minnesota (and maybe Wisconsin).

See http://www.foregonegolf.com/tag/tom-vardon
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

astavrides

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2014, 08:17:44 PM »

80? That seems too high.

You can count them, but here's the ASGCA list: 

http://turfweb.lib.msu.edu/starweb/servlet.starweb?path=FACILITIES/architects.web&id=facilities&pass=12LI&search1=archc%3drobinson,%20ted&format=robinsontnewloca

Seems like a lot of those are NLE or have been redesigned, or ones he didn't originally design, but just tweaked later. A lot have probably been renamed too. Nonetheless, quite a few.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2014, 08:49:11 AM »
Word of caution - I clicked on the Ted Robinson link above, and suspect the numbers may be inflated (for him and all of us lying, cheating, resume inflating architects.....)

Point in case, he lists Brookhaven in Texas.  He actually did do the master land plan that appears to have set the development, but for some reason, CCA/Robert Dedman brought in Press Maxwell to actually finish design and build the course (probably was in DFW working at other courses, cheaper, closer, etc.)

So, do you call that a Robinson, a Maxwell, or a combo?

Architects tend to list anything they had a hand in, but if you are looking for a true list of completed courses and the primary guy who did them, numbers like 80 courses in a state are probably not quite what you are looking for.....from any architect.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

mike_beene

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2014, 01:05:34 AM »
Jeff, is it possible he did one of the other two Brookhaven courses? Not sure if they were done at the same time. I assume Brookhaven was built in the late 60s because as a kid I remember going in the house of the man who built them because he had a library and we had never seen one in a house and didn't believe his kids. Looking back it was just a nice study but it made me think building golf courses was a good deal.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2014, 01:27:26 AM »
I didnt count Robinson's redesigns and missed a bunch in the Palm Springs area.
Wonder how many Bob Baldock did in Cali. Not much great but he did get around NoCal.
Looks like he did 48 in Cali. Wow.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 01:41:02 AM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2014, 07:55:23 AM »
Baldock was an interesting case.  He did a lot of military courses, primarily because of his love/respect for the military, and so he kept the fees low so bases could afford a golf course.

Just read last night that he and Robert Bruce Harris did the Shore Course in Monterey, which somehow surprised me.

Mike,

I first played Brookhaven in the 1980's when I moved here, and nothing style wise suggested what I knew about Ted Robinson as the designer of any of them.  Most looked like Maxwell clamshell bunkers.  Then again, Ted's style may have emerged from 1960 to 1980......As mentioned though, I have seen a land plan with his name on it at the club, which appeared very close to the final, so he probably gets routing credit for all three.  Just hard to attribute mixed design courses like that.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back