News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

6 - 6 - 6
« on: May 15, 2014, 05:47:36 PM »
No, not that kind of 6-6-6....

Rather, Matt Ginella reported that Cabot Cliffs will be composed of...

6 par 3s
6 par 4s
6 par 5s

What other courses have that unusual routing?

https://twitter.com/MattGinellaGC/status/466644342082654208

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Michael Felton

Re: 6 - 6 - 6
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 05:50:15 PM »
I've not played it, but the Red course at the Berkshire has 6, 6 and 6.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 05:52:15 PM »
Howard,
Do a search. Been covered a thousand times on here.
Realise that may have come over sounding a bit grouchy, but better that than green italics or the ire of kav...

Love,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 05:57:52 PM »
I've always wondering why this wasn't a more common occurrence.   I suppose it has something to do with how much land the par 5s take up, but as someone who loves par 5s and par 3s the 6-6-6 format is very appealing. 

Howard Riefs

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 05:58:16 PM »
Howard,
Realise that may have come over sounding a bit grouchy, but better that than green italics or the ire of kav...

Love,
F.

1)  The search function is not one of this site's strong suits. Especially with random search terms.
2)  I don't mind the color green.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Stephen Davis

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 06:02:53 PM »
My old course in Albany, OR Springhill GC, is a 6-6-6 routing. The biggest flaw in a even routing like that is that there is necessarily a lack of diversity in the par 4s, which are my favorite golf holes. That being said, I am really looking forward to seeing what Coore/Crenshaw do with it.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 06:04:24 PM »
You've got nearly two and a half thousand posts on here and never seen a 666 thread? Wake up, man!
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Josh Tarble

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 06:39:53 PM »
If there weren't repeat topics, we'd have nothing to discuss here.  I think it's a relevant new topic based on the fact that Cabot Cliffs is such a notable new course with a unique routing structure.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 07:24:22 PM »
666:  "The Devil's Routing"

I have never played one.   Par 5s are the hardest to design, that's possibly why there are so few.   Six opportunities to create a boring second shot. 

Greg Murphy

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 07:42:03 PM »

I have never played one.   Par 5s are the hardest to design, that's possibly why there are so few.   Six opportunities to create a boring second shot. 

Par 5s are pure spice - no need for a boring second shot though I suppose it is possible to create one

Greg Gilson

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 08:13:29 PM »
Ocean Shores in Brunswick Heads about 3 hours south of Brisbane, Australia. Very interesting early 70's Devlin/von Haage design.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 08:35:07 PM »

Six opportunities to create a boring second shot. 

True, but also six opportunities to couple interesting second shots with great green complexes, the true test of an outstanding par five.

Paul Jones

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 08:41:15 PM »

Just follow Dick Wilson and put a tree in the middle of the hole.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Dave McCollum

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 08:49:21 PM »
I’m not widely travelled and have only played 3 C&C courses:  Trails, Clear Creek, and Saguaro at WKP.  I though the par fives were interesting because the second shots were prickly and required some choices and decisions, much like their short par fours off the tee.  To me, that’s not boring. 

Paul Jones

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 08:55:22 PM »
Howard,

Love,
F.

1)  The search function is not one of this site's strong suits. Especially with random search terms.
2)  I don't mind the color green.

I tested Martin theory and Howards on searching....  I clicked at the top and put in 6 - 6 - 6 and the only results I got was for this thread.  I have been a member on this site for many, many years and do not remember seeing a post on 6 - 6 - 6 routing.  Now, since I have been a member for a long time, doesn't mean I read and post a lot.  My participation comes and goes when my work schedule comes and goes.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 09:05:53 PM »
This is a very important thread worth reviving. I have planned on taking my friends to Cabot once the 36 are open and running. Six par threes in 18 holes would normally be a deal breaker. It is important to know why it shouldn't be.

Btw:  I think the back nine at Pacific is the worst stand alone nine on the property. When I get off a plane, rent a car, then sleep on property I want to rock the driver. Sorry but hitting a ball with an iron on a perfectly flat lie off a tee is booooring.

Jud_T

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 09:08:34 PM »
Funny,

I'd say six par 5s is much more likely to be a deal breaker.  Gotta give 'em credit just for having the balls though.  Gonna be very interesting.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:16:23 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 09:27:02 PM »

Bill beat me to the punch. I hope we're both proven wrong, and that a wonderful course can indeed have 6 Par 5s and 6 Par 3s (and please, I beg you, no one tell me about Stanley Thompson).

Peter

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 09:33:07 PM »
666:  "The Devil's Routing"

Six opportunities to create a boring second shot.  

True, but also six opportunities to couple interesting second shots with great green complexes, the true test of an outstanding par five.

Having to do that SIX times?  Tough.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:24:53 PM by Bill_McBride »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 09:40:11 PM »
It's tough all right, and I do hope they pull it off splendidly. But the grumpy me says 6 Par 5s mostly just chew up yardage, and 6 Par 3s mostly just play over crap.

One very good thing is that the course could host a pga tour stop -- just turn two of the (inevitably 'short') Par 5s into Par 4s, and play from the very back on two of the (inevitably 'long') Par 3s and you'll have a 7100 yard Par 70 that can host the best golfers in the world.

Peter

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 02:37:28 AM »
666 does bring questions to mind about the 3 shotters.  I know at BERKS Red at least half the par 5s are reachable on any given day in season so if a player is on and does decently on the 3s a good score can be had.  I also think that unles the land is quite good in terms of elevation changes, six 3s is a lot to ask of an archie to keep interesting and varied.  BERKS Red just about gets away with it, but one wouldn't miss it if there was one less par 3.  Painswick has seven 3s, but the land is so wild it works very well - they are the glue to the design. I still believe Painswick has one of the top sets of 3s I have encountered and that is saying something with seven of them. 

There is a 666 near me and its terrible.  Its so bad the website doesn't even mention the fact of a 666.  Its so bad I won't mention the name.

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 03:04:32 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 05:03:13 AM »
Sean bar 17 all the other par 5s are very reachable and with an iron in the summer. The course is actually closer to Rye when playing stroke play other than 4 more strokes to play with at Berkshire.

Stephen Davis lack of diversity on the par 4 isn't necessary, good design can easily give decent variation.
Cave Nil Vino

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 07:01:26 AM »
If there weren't repeat topics, we'd have nothing to discuss here.  I think it's a relevant new topic based on the fact that Cabot Cliffs is such a notable new course with a unique routing structure.

+1

there's a few on this site who always the first to point out to the teacher when someone else didn't have their homework ::) ::).
It's so simple-If you don't like a topic, or an OT topic, don't click, and you do accidently click, don't post-and you do post, be nice.
signed,
the live and let live police ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dan Moore

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 08:53:15 AM »
Langford did a couple of courses with 6x6x6.  Bryn Mawr and Gary CC now called Innsbrook.  Bryn Mawr turned the short par 5's into par 4's but Innsbrook retains the original 6x6x6 routing. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back