News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Tarble

Re: GCA Play Day at Beverly CC July 8, 2014
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2014, 11:56:26 AM »
Really bummed I'm missing this.  Have a great time everyone!

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2014, 01:37:06 PM »

Josh -

I'll have you up for a game -- a Beverly Game, perhaps -- sometime this summer.

Bring your wallet ;)

Cheers, Andrew

Josh Tarble

« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2014, 01:51:08 PM »

Josh -

I'll have you up for a game -- a Beverly Game, perhaps -- sometime this summer.

Bring your wallet ;)

Cheers, Andrew

I've started a new piggy bank stash just for such occasion.  I'll definitely make it happen.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2014, 12:04:27 AM »
http://www.thewesternamateur.com/site/apps/nlnet/content2.aspx?c=lnKNKOOsHqE&b=6132939&ct=14062997

Thank you to Andrew and Terry for a most enjoyable day at Beverly.  It is always a memorable day seeing some old friends and meeting new people who contribute to the treehouse discussions.  I can't wait to see how the Western Am field does at "The Bev". 

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Joel Pear

« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2014, 09:05:57 AM »
Thanks Andrew and Terry for a great day at a fantastic facility.  The course was spectacular, and the opportunity to put some faces with some names was a treat. 

I am really looking forward to seeing how the best ams in the world do at the "Bev."

Brian Colbert

« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2014, 10:10:36 AM »
Disappointed I was unable to attend. Looking forward to playing out there for the Western.

Jon Adkins

« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2014, 12:24:02 PM »
I also wanted to pop in to say thanks to Andrew and Terry for everything! I really enjoyed the golf course and meeting some guys from the group.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2014, 12:38:05 PM »
Many thanks to Terry and Andrew for hosting the group for a very enjoyable afternoon/evening at the Bev. 
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

John McCarthy

« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2014, 12:57:47 PM »
Let me add my thanks to Andrew and Terry.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Terry Lavin

« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2014, 03:09:53 PM »
Thanks to everybody who made the effort to get to Beverly and play yesterday.  It's always great to connect a face to an internet name and to rekindle our various relationships while enjoying the game we love.  I'm working on two fall play days, one at Bryn Mawr, hopefully in conjunction with its restoration architect, Jim Nagle and another at the Dunes Club with Jim Urbina who recently renovated four greens and supervised the removal of many trees at the club.  Rumor has it that golf's Most Beloved Figure may grace us with his presence which will prompt me to really work hard to get Mike Keiser to join us as well.  That would be a fun day.  We'll see what develops.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Matthew Sander

« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2014, 03:17:45 PM »
Thank you so much to Andrew and Terry for hosting yesterday's outing. It really was a beautiful afternoon and a great time. Despite recent rains, The Bev showed herself very nicely.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2014, 11:02:58 AM »
Let me throw my thanks to Terry and Andrew for a great day -- other than this bug that ruined my day, my three buddies had a great time and enjoyed meeting some of the GCA crew.

Jud_T

« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2014, 01:09:07 PM »
I really wish I could have made it out.  The silver lining is that I figure, what with the twins and all, that Lewis' wallet has taken a sufficient beating as of late and it'd be rude to take the shirt off his back at this juncture...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2014, 08:43:25 AM »
I really wish I could have made it out.  The silver lining is that I figure, what with the twins and all, that Lewis' wallet has taken a sufficient beating as of late and it'd be rude to take the shirt off his back at this juncture...

Jud -

Although certainly not cost-neutral, the twins have contributed by eliminating my time to practice but preserving my time to play -- as my index has floated up, so too has my winning percentage.

In any case, it sounds like you just "volunteered" to participate in the Beverly Game to be played whenever Tarble crawls up from Indiana.

Cheers, Andrew

JC Jones

« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2014, 10:16:25 AM »
I love taking money from Jud whilst playing the Beverly game. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2014, 10:32:16 AM »

Jud -

Although certainly not cost-neutral, the twins have contributed by eliminating my time to practice but preserving my time to play -- as my index has floated up, so too has my winning percentage.

In any case, it sounds like you just "volunteered" to participate in the Beverly Game to be played whenever Tarble crawls up from Indiana.

Cheers, Andrew

Tarble yesterday broke par for the first time ever. He's gearing up to clean house in the Beverly Game.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill Seitz

« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2014, 08:35:42 PM »
Thanks to Andrew and Terry. Always a great day when you get a chance to play Beverly.

Paul Richards

« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2014, 10:11:30 PM »
Hope you all enjoyed your day at Beverly and were able to spend some time learning about its fascinating history. 

As it has been 84 years since Beverly last hosted the Western Am, here is a link about that event so long ago:  http://www.thewesternamateur.com/site/apps/nlnet/content2.aspx?c=lnKNKOOsHqE&b=6132939&ct=14063971&notoc=1
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

RJ_Daley

« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2014, 10:34:10 AM »
In Googling around, I haven't found any mention of TV coverage at the Western Am.  Does anyone know if there will be TGC coverage or other TV?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back