News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Geoffrey_Walsh

Old Silo (KY)
« on: May 10, 2014, 03:44:39 PM »
Just played the back 9 at Old Silo and was impressed.  Would have played the front but for thunderstorms.  This course should get more attention, especially at $49 for a weekend morning with a cart.  I'll try to post more thoughts later.

Jason Thurman

Re: Old Silo (KY)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 03:58:24 PM »
Geoffrey, I'm originally from Frankfort and went to college in Lexington and Richmond. I've played Old Silo a few times.

It's interesting that you were impressed by the back nine, and unfortunate that you didn't get to see the front. In my estimation, the first nine holes is the stronger set and the opening seven holes are really excellent, capped by what is likely the best redan in the state of Kentucky. The back has some dull moments, but 13 is as good a hole as any in the state and 17 is a really cool short 4 with angles that really matter.

It's certainly among the best two or three public courses in the state, along with Hidden Cove and Dale Hollow, and it's a wonderful value. Kentucky golf has a lot of mediocre offerings, but at its best it presents a really nice value. Old Silo is about as good as I've played for under $50.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 04:57:10 PM »
I have always wanted to make it over and see Old Silo.

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 06:08:21 PM »
I played Old Silo a few years ago and liked it as well.

Matt Waidmann

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 10:04:37 PM »
Played Old Silo a few years ago and it is the best public course I've come across in The Commonwealth.  I'd have to agree that the front nine is probably the stronger of the two nines, but holes 13 and 15 are probably the funnest on the course.  Living within 90 minutes of it as I do, I should be playing there a lot more.  Graham Marsh did a great job, but he did have a fantastic piece of property to work with.  I'd like to see his other work at Sutton Bay and The Pines Course at The Prairie Club, they look superb. 

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 07:51:32 PM »
I can post pics of Old Silo if anyone is interested. I also thought that the front 9 was the better of the two nines, but overall, a pretty solid golf course in the middle of nowhere.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back