News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

1974 US Open
« on: May 17, 2014, 10:53:19 PM »
This Tuesday evening (5/20/2014) The Golf Channel will air Original TV coverage from the 1974 US Open - The Massacre at Winged Foot - won by Hale Irwin with a score of +7.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Tom_Doak

Re: 1974 US Open
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 04:12:03 AM »
I was there, but only on the Friday, so you will probably not locate me in the video.  I was 13 years old and not very tall.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 05:22:12 AM »
I was there all four days, carrying a group score placard and my mother served as a scoring official.

I believe I went thru at least two pairs of socks a day just walking along the first cut!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 08:56:53 AM »
Thanks - added to the DVR "to record" list :)

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 11:40:58 AM »
ESPN Classic showed this and many other ABC U.S. Opens some years ago. 1974 was notable for the first use of a female commentator on a men's tournament: Marilynn Smith was on the 14th hole (I think) along with Frank Gifford. And watch for Keith Jackson throwing it to Henry Longhurst, and Henry throwing it back to Keith. Quite the contrast in accents and delivery.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Gene Greco

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 12:27:18 PM »
   I was there as well for the final round.
Hale appeared to hit a long iron with the head about the size of a teaspoon for his approach to 18, which flew as high as my wedge trajectory.
Twenty years later I played WF for the first time (with someone who I feel is the greatest putter I had ever seen :) and I used a  Ping Eye 2 five iron for my approach. Equipment and the ball changed quite a bit during that period of time.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 06:31:52 PM »
Frank Gifford seems an odd choice, except that he was a member at Winged Foot.  I remember that because an acquaintance of mine had his locker in the G's, between Joe Garagiola and Gifford.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 03:01:28 PM »
Frank Gifford seems an odd choice, except that he was a member at Winged Foot.  I remember that because an acquaintance of mine had his locker in the G's, between Joe Garagiola and Gifford.
ABC Sports used almost everyone on the U.S. Open that year, including Chris Schenkel, Jim McKay, Keith Jackson, Bill Fleming, Frank Gifford, and Henry Longhurst, one at each hole, plus Byron Nelson as lead analyst. This was before the notion of using McKay and Dave Marr for one segment, then Peter Alliss for the next one.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Patrice Boissonnas

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 04:30:37 PM »
I would love to watch those vintage videos but unfortunately we don't get your TV channels over here in Europe (France at least).
Any idea how I could get my hand on them? Has there ever been a DVD collection playing pre 1990 major Tournaments?
FYI, the first major I was able to watch live in France was the 1988 US Open at the Country Club : Curtis Strange against Nick Faldo.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back