News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Donald on the Kintyre
« on: May 16, 2014, 08:22:22 AM »
Further thoughts from the Donald, as reported in today’s Herald;

“The neighbouring Kintyre course could also be in for a bit more than a nip and tuck there. “One of the things I may do at Turnberry is build a second course due to the fact it’s an amazing piece of land and, by that, I mean looking at replacing the Kintyre course,” Trump added.

“The land is so good and if I did it it would be a fabulous new course. We have a massive piece of land and the facility is so good. Turnberry is going to do 60,000 rounds this year and that’s a lot of rounds.”

Actually I think this is where Donald might be able to add some value at Turnberry. The revised Kintyre never seemed to gel IMO. It just felt like the new and the old holes really were from different era’s which they were. Starting again might not be a daft idea.

Thoughts ?

Niall
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:51:51 PM by Niall Carlton »

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Donald on the Kintyre
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
11 seemed to be the biggest missed opportunity I've ever seen.  Even tweaking the green would be an improvement.

He also talked about completely redesigning the second course.  Hyperbole?

Did he mention Architects?  for anyone else M&E would seem the natural fit?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 09:33:51 AM »
Tony

I think I’m right in saying the present Kintyre was a Donald Steel creation that adopted some existing holes and added a number of new holes. Not sure whether either Martin or Tom worked on it. M&E of course were involved in recent changes to the Ailsa for the last Open. 

Niall

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 10:07:30 AM »
I hope he does not want a waterfall there too? I did hear he is removing the one at Trump D.C.   long over due.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 10:20:39 AM »
Martin Ebert has for some time been working on a proposal to relocate the 11th green back and left - he says there is a great natural greensite available. This would enable the tee to be moved forward and the unattractive edifice that supports the present tee complex knocked down, with a new/extended tenth green taking its place, right at the water's edge.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 10:23:42 AM »
Adam

If I recall there was also some chat about turning the 9th into a par 3 off the back tee, or is that my dodgy memory playing tricks ?

Niall

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 06:39:40 AM »
Martin Ebert has for some time been working on a proposal to relocate the 11th green back and left - he says there is a great natural greensite available. This would enable the tee to be moved forward and the unattractive edifice that supports the present tee complex knocked down, with a new/extended tenth green taking its place, right at the water's edge.

The eleventh might be improved that way but the present 10th is probably the best hole on the course -- moving it back "right to the water's edge" would just make it more like a lot of other golf holes.

Jackson C

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 04:29:46 PM »

Are you speaking of the Ailsa?  Kintyre's 10th green is inland and I can't imagine it reaching the bluff.
"The secrets that golf reveals to the game's best are secrets those players must discover for themselves."
Christy O'Connor, Sr. (1998)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 05:01:47 AM »
I could see the Kintyre course being seriously improved or even bulldozed and a new course being built. It is to be hoped he will use a GCA other than Hawtree though by this I am not saying Hawtree is not good but it would be a shame to get more of the 'same old same old' that seems to come out of the Hawtree design portfolio.

Jon

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 01:55:55 PM »
Jon

Not seen enough of Hawtree's design to comment on that but given Trumps seeming willingness to butter up the R&A and that MacKenzie & Ebert are used by the R&A and that they have been working at Turnberry for a while, then you would imagine they might be favourite but in the world of the Donnald who knows.

Niall

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 04:00:17 PM »

Are you speaking of the Ailsa?  Kintyre's 10th green is inland and I can't imagine it reaching the bluff.

Jackson, I think I started the confusin on this thread.  As I do to often, I jumped in to have quick post without absorbing the fact that the the was about the Kintire Course and not the very famous Ailsa - which is the one I've played.  I think Adam and just possibly others followed my lead as I remember talk of M&E proposing a new 11th for THE AILSA.  o sorry and I hope I'm right in this post. :-[
Let's make GCA grate again!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 04:29:09 PM »
Correct. I made the post and then realised the potential for confusion. Apologies.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back