News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Jones

Re: Top 5 Course Played In Texas
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 02:30:25 PM »
1. Whispering Pines
2. Colonial CC
3. Dallas National
4. Brook Hollow
5. Barton Creek (C&C)

Wolf Point is at the top of my "To Play" list. One day....

And Brookhaven holds a special place for me too as it was the first time I broke 70.

Jim, I think you and I are the only two who prefer the Crenshaw Cliffside course at Barton Creek to that manufactured piece of crap, Fazio Foothills.  Fazio Canyons is okay but I prefer Crenshaw's course with all it's front to back sloping greens, maybe eight.  Very natural layout. 

Bill,

Barton Creek C&C is my favorite of other courses at resort, but still doesn't make my Top 5.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Sam Morrow

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 05:57:47 PM »
Of the 4 resort courses I'd take Cliffside over either Fazio and Palmer. The Fazio courses remind me of Flint Hills in Kansas, nice courses but they are more like arboretums to me. 8 and 9 on Foothills would be a great place to let you dog run or take pictures with your family but not great golf. The Palmer course isn't bad from what I remember.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 07:00:30 PM »
1. Whispering Pines
2. Colonial CC
3. Dallas National
4. Brook Hollow
5. Barton Creek (C&C)

Wolf Point is at the top of my "To Play" list. One day....

And Brookhaven holds a special place for me too as it was the first time I broke 70.

Jim, I think you and I are the only two who prefer the Crenshaw Cliffside course at Barton Creek to that manufactured piece of crap, Fazio Foothills.  Fazio Canyons is okay but I prefer Crenshaw's course with all it's front to back sloping greens, maybe eight.  Very natural layout.  

Bill,

Barton Creek C&C is my favorite of other courses at resort, but still doesn't make my Top 5.

It didn't make mine either, but it did make Jim Franklin's.  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:38:28 PM by Bill_McBride »

Andy Troeger

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 07:13:26 PM »
Small sample size:

1. Whispering Pines
2. Dallas National
3. Colonial
4. The Rawls Course
5. Champions--Cypress Creek

Chris Luce

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2014, 09:32:49 AM »
1. Austin Golf Club
2. Pine Dunes
3. Dallas National
4. Texarkana Golf Ranch
5. Waterwood National  NLE

So much good golf in our state, but so little  that is great. Think Colonial and Brook Hollow are in the cards for 2014 which might change this list  some. Miss Waterwood

Sam Morrow

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »
1. Austin Golf Club
2. Pine Dunes
3. Dallas National
4. Texarkana Golf Ranch

So much good golf in our state, but so little  that is great. Think Colonial and Brook Hollow are in the cards for 2014 which might change this list  some. Miss Waterwood

Chris,

Where do you live?

Steve Lang

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2014, 11:37:17 AM »
 8)  aaahhh Waterwood.. owners / neighbors still taking care of it ... may reopen...

http://www.waterwoodwia.com/Golf/slideshow/golf.htm

Whispering Pines
Pine Dunes
then

maybe Rawls over Champions Cypress over Carlton Woods-Fazio but maybe not over over old Woodlands TPC or Player or Walden on Lake Conroe depending on season..

always liked San Antonio's La Cantera' Weiskof and Palmer Courses
someday will play Dallas area...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Cliff Walston

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2014, 02:04:29 PM »
In no order,

Austin Golf Club
Carlton Woods - Fazio
Colonial
Escondido
Spanish Oaks

Note: I have not played any of the better Dallas or San Antonio courses, Shady Oaks,
Wolf Point, or Whispering Pines.   

Chris Luce

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2014, 05:13:27 AM »
1. Austin Golf Club
2. Pine Dunes
3. Dallas National
4. Texarkana Golf Ranch

North Dallas. Midway/ NW Hwy area.
Chris,

Where do you live?

Jim Jackson

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2014, 03:18:37 PM »
I'm surprised how long this thread has gone without any mention of golf courses in the San Antonio area.  No love for Cordillera Ranch, Briggs Ranch, Oak Hills, or Brackenridge Park out there?  I'm sure that at least two of those would be contenders for most of the above lists.

For those who have played the four Fazio courses from his tour through Texas in 2001 (Dallas National, Escondido, Vaquero, Briggs Ranch) - how would one rank those four?  DN gets all the love but I'd like to know the delta between the four...

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2014, 04:31:49 PM »
For those who have played the four Fazio courses from his tour through Texas in 2001 (Dallas National, Escondido, Vaquero, Briggs Ranch) - how would one rank those four?  DN gets all the love but I'd like to know the delta between the four...

Dallas National
Escondido
Briggs Ranch
Vaquero

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back