News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Walston

Several different threads got me thinking about golf in Houston, my home town, and other places where the best golf in the region is a modern course.  Around here, I think Carlton Woods has the best golf in town, although some may take exception.  In the DFW region, its probably Dallas National, although some might argue Colonial or Brook Hollow.  In Austin, Austin Golf Club also probably tops the list. Outside of Texas, I think only think of Denver's Colorado Golf Club perhaps taking the honors, although I basing this on photos alone over Cherry Hills and Denver CC.  Orlando would be in the mix as well, since it didn't really exist pre-Disney.  But what about other major metropolitan areas where moderns are the best option and why?  The obvious answer is of course the ODG's weren't running around at these locations building courses, but there has to be more to it than that.   

Mac Plumart

Re: Places where a modern course is the best in the region...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 12:37:56 PM »
Could a common link be a lot of these courses are in the South, or at least warmer climates, where the modern advances in turf and grasses have helped?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
I know folks who would argue that either Whistling Straits or Blackwolf Run-River is the best courses in what might be called the greater Milwaukee region (they are near Sheboygan, an easy trip up the interstate from Milwaukee). Some might even argue for Erin Hills.

I would not be among those folks. :D

Cliff Walston

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 01:41:00 PM »
Never thought about agronomy playing a role, but that is an interesting thought Mac.  

On a related note, what city stands most likely to have a modern come in and take the reigns of best in city?  Chicago perhaps?  

Edit:  Forgot about Chicago Golf Links.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:43:37 PM by Cliff Walston »

John Nixon

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 01:51:12 PM »
Indianapolis? I'm probably forgetting one or two, but Broadmoor seems to be cited for Indy's best classic most often. CC of Indianapolis, Meridian Hills? Modern - The Fort, Crooked Stick, Wolf Run, and further out Purgatory and Trophy Club?

Kyle Casella

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 01:54:53 PM »
Bandon Dunes courses & Sand Hills.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 02:03:47 PM »
There are quite a few really:

Indianapolis as mentioned: Wolf Run or Crooked Stick. Broadmoor and Meridian Hills are good, but IMO no real comparison.

Phoenix and Tucson: The oldest course is Desert Forest, which still gets a modern designation.

Albuquerque: No classic courses to speak of. Paa-Ko Ridge takes the prize.

Columbus, OH: The Golf Club and Muirfield Village are pretty consistently rated ahead of Scioto. The Golf Club is my personal favorite.

Dallas: Dallas National over Colonial gets my vote--I could see an argument there.

Milwaukee: If we're talking region, I'm one of those that disagrees with Phil and puts Blackwolf Run on top. Milwaukee CC is really good though--toss up perhaps. Whistling Straits is usually ranked #1 in Wisconsin I guess.

West Virginia: Pete Dye GC and Pikewood are really good--I'll find out in a couple weeks if Old White matches up.

Richmond, VA: Does anything else match Kinloch?

Denver: Castle Pines and Colorado Golf are both ahead of Cherry Hills IMO. Close enough to challenge though.

Palm Springs: If you consider this its own "area" then Stone Eagle might be the best. Most of the courses are modern era.

All parts of Florida excluding the region including Seminole might qualify. Tough state to divide up into regions.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 02:11:03 PM »

Phoenix and Tucson: The oldest course is Desert Forest, which still gets a modern designation.

I assume you mean "oldest course" that appears on any list of the best. There are plenty of courses around older than Desert Forest.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 02:23:12 PM »
Yes...oldest "top tier" course. Ditto Albuquerque--there are a couple old courses here but nothing of note.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 04:28:12 PM »
Northern Virginia: Robert Trent Jones GC is better than any of the older courses, and that's probably true of several other moderns.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 04:40:09 PM »
Northern Virginia: Robert Trent Jones GC is better than any of the older courses, and that's probably true of several other moderns.

I presume you're stopping at the Maryland border and not including Congressional and Baltimore?

Bill Brightly

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »
China.

Paul Carey

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 06:30:33 PM »

If you only include Nova.  If you include the DC area I would say Columbia and Chevy Chase are better.

Paul Carey

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 06:33:18 PM »
Charleston:  Is Kiawah Ocean Course better than Yeamans Hall?  I don't think so but some will make that argument and I think it is a good argument.

Jud_T

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 06:35:23 PM »
Tampa? Orlando? Palm Springs? San Diego? Phoenix?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Nigel Islam

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 07:56:16 PM »
Victoria National in Evansville, Valhalla in Louisville (Disclaimer I have not played Louisville CC), and possibly Chattanooga & Birmingham.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 10:18:38 PM »
There's a modern course that's pretty clearly the best in the Holyoke, CO metro area.  ;D

HarryBrinkerhoffDoyleIV_aka_Barry

Re: Places where a modern course is the best in the region... New
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 10:19:35 PM »
[REMOVED]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 06:13:57 PM by HarryBrinkerhofDoyleIVakaBarry »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 04:11:29 AM »
Places where a modern course is the best in the region........no thoughts expressed on the NE of Scotland and the Granite City area in particular (sic)?
:)
atb

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 07:32:20 AM »
Ask me again in ten years but imo Royal Aberdeen is significantly better than TIGLS.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean Leary

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 12:12:37 AM »
Seattle area. Chambers Bay is the best with Aldarra second.

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 03:33:06 AM »
Ask me again in ten years but imo Royal Aberdeen is significantly better than TIGLS.

The pictures from the various comprehensive photo tours certainly seem to suggest that. It really will be interesting to see the effect time has on people's perception of this course...

I think Trump is #3 in the area right now, but its a much closer call than Adam suggests.  If they ever sort out the grass and host an event of some true standing, things may be very different in the future.  I can honestly see Trump becoming a virtual unanimous top 10-15 GB&I;  though I doubt it would crack my top 30.  Two things are for certain, Trump will drag in more vistors to the area and lay the ground work for even higher green fees. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back