News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Hideout
« on: May 06, 2014, 04:31:39 PM »
This course certainly qualifies as a hidden gem and should be considered among the best courses in Florida.  Built in 1999 with KBM as architect, this course is located nearly in the Everglades on a fairly tight piece of property.  The challenge of not having much land resulted in some really well laid out holes with an expectation for rounds to last no longer than 3:45.  This is a strictly golf club with a lot of walkers and many very good players including the current Senior Club Professional champion.  

The 1st hole plays from 388 to 334

The 2nd hole is a dogleg left par 5 that plays from 579 yards to 524 yards

The 3rd hole is a dogleg right par 4 or 450 yards to 384 yards

The 4th hole is an interesting short hole predicated upon where you decide to place your tee shot.  The safest tee shot results in the toughest approach.  The hole plays from 362 to 315 yards

The 5th is a short par 3 of 137 yards to 107 yards

The 6th is a dogleg right par 4 of 420 to 377 yards.  There is plenty of room left, but the right side needs to be challenged for a better approach.

The 7th is a dogleg left par 4 of 439 to 392 yards.  The tee shot is out of a chute, but this is more of a bit of visual intimidation because you are actually hitting to the widest fairway of probably 50 yards.

The 8th is a par 3 of 200 to 145 yards

The 9th is the one hole that has the haters and lovers and might be controversial.  It is a dogleg left par 5 of 545 to 470 yards.  The left trees near the green are tall and close enough that only a 6 iron or less can hit the green after carrying the trees and the middle trees make the sweep hook a poor substitute.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 05:08:49 PM by Robert Mercer Deruntz »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Re: Hideout 1-9
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 04:49:15 PM »
The 10th is a par 3 of 178 to 134 yards

The 11th is a dogleg left par 4 of 480 to 382 yards

The 12th is a dogleg left par 5 of 556 to 502 yards

The 13th is a dogleg right par 4 of 411 to 359 yards

The 14th is a dogleg left par 4 of 408 to 360 yards

The 15th is a par3 of 215 to 152 yards that is very much the double plateau template

The 16th is a drivable par 4 of 315 to 279 yards

The 17th is a dogleg right par 5 of 535 to 486 yards.  This is a reachable hole if the right side is challenged on the tee ball, but a poor tee shot creates a layup dilemma.

The 18th is a dogleg left par 4 of 455 to 374 yards

J_ Crisham

Re: Hideout
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 05:26:03 PM »
Robert,
        Nice photo tour of  The Hideout. This is certainly one of the top 4 in SW Florida. Great design on a flattish piece of ground. Pretty clever use of bunkering. Interesting green complexes . Solid conditioning. Excellent place to spend a day with an adequate clubhouse- great burgers and beers for afterwards. Very good second club for Northerners.

Matt OBrien

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »
Some of the fastest greens I have ever played on ANYWHERE

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 05:39:22 PM »
Robert, how would you say it stacks up to Calusa Pines and Golf Club of the Everglades? Those are the two I played in the area.

I know GCE probably isn't a favorite being a Rees Jones design but I really liked the vibe of the club. Low key and inviting.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 05:58:49 PM »
Robert, how would you say it stacks up to Calusa Pines and Golf Club of the Everglades? Those are the two I played in the area.

I know GCE probably isn't a favorite being a Rees Jones design but I really liked the vibe of the club. Low key and inviting.
Ryan,   Calusa Pines is in different league than other courses in Florida- it may be the best , for some maybe it's Seminole.  The movement in the property at CP is what sets it apart from most Florida courses. It's manmade but it doesn't appear unnatural. GCE is good- let's see where it is in a few year now that Pulte is taking it over.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 06:03:12 PM »
It's really really good. More like a Georgia or SC course than a Florida course. Terrific maintenance meld and a low-key, friendly vibe. I would join there in a minute if I bought a place down there.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »
I had the good fortune to play Hideout a couple of winters ago. Front nine feels more Florida, back nine more So. Carolina.  Larry Bird was one of the founding or early members, according to one of the founding members with whom I played.  Very much worth the visit, but don't follow your GPS to get there -- trust me and AAA on that point.

Andy Treen

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 07:33:17 PM »
Some of the fastest greens I have ever played on ANYWHERE

I second that.  Uncomfortably fast.   
First Assistant Professional
Taconic Golf Club

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 09:24:26 PM »
J

Is Pulte going to turn GCE into a resort development? I hadnt heard that. Thats a shame.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 11:02:35 AM »
Found the article. It said Pulte is considering buying Olde Florida too and merging the two clubs into one country club development.

I find it interesting that these two clubs, which at one time were very high end and exclusive, are not sustainable, but an additional 1000 homes are? I believe at one time both clubs had initiation fees of 100k or more.

Maybe all the people left with dough after the 2008 meltdown consolidated at Calusa Pines.

BCowan

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 11:17:59 AM »
Ryan,

I'd play Naples National 10-0 over CP!  It's not a laid back club, but I am talking quality of arch.  It's in my personal top 5, and for southern Florida that says a lot.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 11:27:34 AM »
B

Forgot about Naples National. I assume their membership is still doing well.

Haven't played that one, but saying 10-0 vs CP is something. Aren't they both Hurdzan Fry?

BCowan

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 11:33:44 AM »
Ryan,

Yes, NN was done maybe 6-10 years before CP, not sure.  NN has had some problems with flooding which has been resolved i hear, they kicked the founder out too about 12 years ago.   I'd imagine they are doing fine now, but I am not sure.  Haven't played the newer UD greens yet.  CP is a great course for Southern Florida, and many love it.   

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 11:38:31 AM »
has does Hideout compare to Hole in the Wall?  I really liked the latter, the last time I was there (which was like 10 years ago).

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 11:42:40 AM »
has does Hideout compare to Hole in the Wall?  I really liked the latter, the last time I was there (which was like 10 years ago).

I haven't played Hole in the Wall, but I loved the HideOut when I was there two weeks ago Wayne.  A good challenge in pristine condition.  No unnecessary extras and a fantastic membership.  I think you'll enjoy it the next time that you're down that way.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 10:00:23 PM »
Wayne,  the good news is your host from Bev is also at Hideout ;D- you have an open invite. Like to get you over to Pine Tree next winter as well- best flat course I've played.

Steve Kupfer

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 10:14:49 PM »
Loved the first 12 holes at the Hideout but the design steps up the level of fun when you cross the road for 13-18. Some fantastic holes down the stretch.

When we were at Calusa our caddie had mentioned that NN lost eight greens last season, creating a lot of consternation within the membership. Can anyone confirm that? 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 10:27:36 PM »
Wonderful - thanks RMD!

It's striking how, when there is not much movement/elevation changes, even a little movement can look (and play) like a lot of movement -- a slight rise here (off the tee) and a slight drop there (off a green) creating subtle preferred angles that friendly (for hacks) yet challenging (for players).

Looks like a terrific job, KBM!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 05:13:40 PM »
Had a friend who joined a couple years ago but haven't been there yet.  The bunkers look awfully shallow and unattractive.  Did you find that to be true?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back