News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: The New Third Hole at Dornoch
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 06:26:16 PM »
Article with nice aerial photo of #3 post the changes:

http://www.scottishgolfcourses.com/golfnews/royal_dornoch_rings_changes.html

David_Tepper

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »
I have played the 3rd hole twice in the past 3 days. My sense is that the hole will play 5-10 yards longer. The biggest change is that the 4 bunkers down the right side of the fairway are further from the tee and very much more in play for the longer hitter than they used to be. The good news for me is that the bunkers are pretty much out of play for the shorter hitter. ;)

Philip Gawith

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2014, 04:11:12 PM »
I also played Dornoch a few times over the past few days and agree that the club has done a pretty good job with the 3rd. Although the changes are pretty obvious if you know what you are looking for, I suspect the average golfer who has played the hole before will not initially notice that there has been any change.  Main changes are obviously in the line of the drive and the visibility of the bunkers. It also feels as if the hole is playing longer, though it is possible that just reflected the prevailing wind coming from north east.

Unrelated to the third - although Dornoch was as glorious as ever, one slightly puzzling thing was the poor (by their standards) quality of the fairways. Not to the point where i felt i was getting bad lies, but the conditioning is a poor as i can recall. The fairways at Brora are of much higher quality at present. I wonder if anyone knows why this is so? It is hard to think it can be ascribed to weather if Brora fairways are in good shape.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 04:22:54 PM »
Hi David,

glad you are enjoying the golf at Dornoch. We must arrange a game soon.

Philip,

It could very well be a weather thing. Dornoch is at a different angle to Brora and so subject to slightly different winds. I played Rosemarkie a couple of weeks back and there was a marked difference to the course on the west side of the peninsular compared to the east side.

Jon

Ryan Coles

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 09:22:12 AM »
David

Have the Club progressed with the plans for a new Clubhouse?

David_Tepper

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 09:54:44 AM »
"Have the Club progressed with the plans for a new Clubhouse?"

Ryan C. -

My understanding is plans for a new clubhouse are on the back burner for another couple of years.

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back