News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Johnson

Re: Slightly OT...Your Course, Your Club Championship Format
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 09:35:20 PM »
45 hole stroke play....  only the top 8 make the last 9 holes, played in front of many, many spectators.

similar question for the group.

Do you play your senior club championship on the same weekend as our overall club championship or at another time?   If it is on the same weekend, can someone play in both formats?

Ryan McLaughlin

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 10:12:02 PM »
36 hole stroke play.  Separate match play "cup" tournament.  Seniors play in the same tourney different tees. 

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2014, 10:17:07 AM »
If I were to form a club the goal for a club championship would be:

1. 12 qualifiers from the previous 12 monthly medals/stablefords.

2. Winners of the two major cups (not to include club champ) qualify.

3. Both finalists from previous year qualify.

4. 16 man flat matchplay - no seeds.

5. Rounds 1 and 2 one weekend.

6. Semis and 36 hole final next weekend.

7. 14 losers play stableford for a major qualifying cup on the Semi Final Saturday PM.

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:46:28 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

jeffwarne

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 10:20:59 AM »
Given that a VERY low percentage of people play 36 holes in the same day regularly, (at our place NONE),
why the common insistence on a 36 hole final?

That seems to me like playing an 8 quarter Super Bowl ::) ::)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brad Tufts

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 10:56:48 AM »
I have never liked even playing the semis and finals on the same day in our match play years.

Why not do the 36 hole day (playing two matches) on Saturday, and let the finalists have the restless sleep of anticipation!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Carl Nichols

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 10:58:57 AM »
Like many others on here, at our club--Montgomery County, MD, mostly local members--there's an 18-hole medal qualifier for 15 spots (the defending champion gets in automatically) on one weekend, followed by seeded matchplay.  

It's pretty typical to have only 24 players, since the better players almost always qualify for the top 12-14 slots, and so everyone else is competing for just a few spots--which, even if they make it, leads to an early exit in the matchplay portion.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 12:26:38 PM »
Do you play your senior club championship on the same weekend as our overall club championship or at another time?

Another time.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Adam Warren

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2014, 01:57:50 PM »
It is somewhat similar at my club and clubs I have been associated with in the past.  I will just talk about my current one, as I think it is probably the best set-up of all of them.

Club Championship 36 holes one weekend.  Senior Club Championship is a separate weekend, I think two weeks before.
Roughly half the field is in the championship flight, then handicaps determine the other 2-3 flights.  It is not handicapped but flighted by hcp in the other flights.  This winner is the "Club Champion."
The Club Champion is given an automatic spot into the Ryder Cup matches we have with two separate courses.  We also have an Invitational that allows non-members to play as well.  If the Invitational winner is a member that is not the Club Champion, he also gets an automatic spot on the Ryder Cup team.  To determine the other members, the best two scores out of the 4 rounds of those two tournaments are used to determine who makes the team, leaving one spot open for the Club Champion to make a captains pick.

We also have one scratch Match Play championship and one handicapped Match Play champion.  Anyone of any handicap can play in both.  This takes place throughout the season and is generally given a 2 week window for playing each match. 

PCCraig

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2014, 03:04:10 PM »
Question on match play events.  For the championship flight, how common is it for strokes to be awarded, or is it always played at scratch. 

For the championship flight, ours is played at Scratch. I think any handicap under 10 qualifies for the championship bracket. Handicaps over 10 going into respective flights.
H.P.S.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2014, 03:09:03 PM »
Club champ is 36 holes medal play on one weekend.  I think the most popular tournament format is a best ball match play team event with two man teams.  Usually 8 to 10 flights by handicap with 6 teams in each flight.  9 hole matches:  3 matches on Saturday, 2 on Sunday.  You play every team in your flight H2H.  Most of the flights are so evenly matched the matches are played scratch.  Sunday afternoon, after lunch, the flight winners play an elimination match (derby style) until the overall champions are determined.  No handicap strokes in this match, but the flights are spread out over four sets of tees—the high cappers from the foreword tees and so on back to the championship flight winners playing the tips.  Seems a little odd, but it works out and the best team usually wins. 

I think everyone enjoys the intensity of nine hole matches.  2 points for a win, 1point for a halve, 0 for a loss.  Everyone understands that matches must be played in less than 2 hours, so it is sort of self-policing on the pace.  The elimination round is always fairly rowdy with 8-10 teams starting out and lots needling going on from the large gallery.  I’m not sure, but I think two teams are eliminated on each hole until just two are left, then it is sudden death match play.  Surprisingly, good golf is still played.  I watched one that went 5 holes halved with birdies and ended on the 6th hole (the 10th overall) when a team lost with a par.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2014, 08:42:47 AM »
Our official men's club championship is a 36 hole, 5 flights stroke play affair over one weekend in July.  We have a summer series knockout  match play of 3 skill level brackets requiring you to schedule your monthly opponent.  We have only a 1 day 18 hole with handicap stroke play senior championship, down from past that was 36 hole, two days played on consecutive weeks rather than next two consecutive days.  We now have a one day 'young guns' event taking up the extra day that seniors played 2 days in the past.  We also have a two man knock-out summer series match play.  Finally, we hold the 3 consecutive day 54  hole, 6 flights County open in August which generally is predominantly men's club members plus about 30-50 more good players from area clubs.  Each month we have one weekend of other team events.  The pro has his own events one weekend day in May and Sept.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2014, 08:50:01 AM »
My two courses (Aberdour and Dornoch) both have 72 hole stroke play "Club Championship" events and scratch Match Play knockouts.  In both cases, the match play winners are inferior human beings to those who have won at stroke play.  So much for thinking that match play is the soul of the game over here in Scotchland......
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2014, 04:22:42 PM »

Rihc,

And rightly so.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back