News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Icenhower

Changes at Quail Hollow
« on: April 30, 2014, 11:18:41 PM »
Fazio has been brought in to make several changes most notably 16 & 17, but also 8 & 13. Also many of the slopes and contours of the greens have been softened during the change over from bent to miniverde.

Matthew Essig

Re: Changes at Quail Hollow
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 01:21:19 AM »
8 now has two fairway bunkers on the left, and a more contoured fairway.
13 had its green shifted several yards to the left for more sunlight, but it was rebuilt to be an almost exact replica to the one before.
16 is a New hole: shifted 80 yards left to be on the lake.
17 has new tee boxes where the old 16 green was. This allows the hole to play (if chosen) 20 yards longer than before.
18 has a new tee box to add 15 yards to the yardage, which supposedly makes all players hit driver again.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 01:50:13 AM by Matthew Essig »
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 05:55:06 AM »
Hopefully this link takes you where I want you to go, to see the changes to #16: http://www.pgatour.com/news/2014/04/30/quailhollow-changes-wellsfargo.html

Video link is at bottom of article.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 10:10:26 AM »
Here are Mickelson and Fazio talking about the changes to 16 yesterday:

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 10:16:43 AM »
Here are Mickelson and Fazio talking about the changes to 16 yesterday:

Looks like TF was ready to be the first alternate, sporting the golf shoes!
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

BHoover

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 07:59:53 PM »
I'm watching the replay on Golf Channel. The new Mini-Verde greens look good. It seems to my untrained eye that this choice of grass is a no-brainer for courses in the South, especially for those seeking to host tournaments and majors during the warmer months.

It's also pretty amazing that the club can change the green surfaces and have them looking and playing so well one year later.

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 10:38:46 PM »
It always amazes me that half the threads on GCA are about the demise of golf participation, and the other half are about installing fancier faster surfaces that require undulation reduction.

Would seem once we get all the greens flat and hyper fast, there'll be no need for 15 inch holes, but by then who will be left to notice
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

BHoover

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 12:58:39 AM »
It always amazes me that half the threads on GCA are about the demise of golf participation, and the other half are about installing fancier faster surfaces that require undulation reduction.

Would seem once we get all the greens flat and hyper fast, there'll be no need for 15 inch holes, but by then who will be left to notice

Who said anything about fancy fast surfaces or reduced undulations at QH? Would soft bent grass greens at courses in the South be preferable? I noticed anything but flat greens during the Golf Channel broadcast at QH.

BCowan

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 08:48:50 AM »

Who said anything about fancy fast surfaces or reduced undulations at QH? Would soft bent grass greens at courses in the South be preferable? I noticed anything but flat greens during the Golf Channel broadcast at QH.

I agree that mini verde is better, but however this course has huge tree issues with sun and is over applicated to make up for it.  There are bent greens in NC that are fine.  The bigger issues is the damn tree lovers.

BHoover

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 09:32:01 AM »
I agree that mini verde is better, but however this course has huge tree issues with sun and is over applicated to make up for it.  There are bent greens in NC that are fine.  The bigger issues is the damn tree lovers.

It doesn't look overly treed to me.  And if the members don't have a problem with it, why should we? I say this as one who is generally in favor of tree removal, but if the members want trees on their course, who am I to begrudge them?

Carl Johnson

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 09:39:46 AM »
I agree that mini verde is better, but however this course has huge tree issues with sun and is over applicated to make up for it.  There are bent greens in NC that are fine.  The bigger issues is the damn tree lovers.

It doesn't look overly treed to me.  And if the members don't have a problem with it, why should we? I say this as one who is generally in favor of tree removal, but if the members want trees on their course, who am I to begrudge them?

IMO.  The course is "big."  Yes, there are lots of trees, but except for the exceptionally wild shot they don't seem to come into play.  I would say that for members they're even less of an issue.  I've never played the course, but have been to the tournament many times, most recently last year.  By way of reference, in the case of golf courses you'll never find me in with the "tree lover" crowd.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:44:54 AM by Carl Johnson »

BHoover

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 09:43:20 AM »
IMO.  The course is "big."  Yes, there are lots of trees, but except for the exceptionally wild shot they don't seem to come into play.  I would say that for members they're even less of an issue.  I've never played the course, but have been to the tournament many times, most recently last year.

You would know better than me, Carl, because you've been to the tournament.  But I agree that the trees don't seem to be much of an issue, at least based on what I can see from television.  QH does seem to be a "big" tournament course, much like Muirfield Village, where the trees also generally don't come into play during the tournament and probably less so for the members.

BCowan

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 09:47:31 AM »
Carl,Brian

I've never played the course, but watching the shadows on TV, the course was engulfed with trees around the greens.  I have seen a course in Florida remove 3 trees to the right side of the green, it healed and there never was a problem after.  The Pine trees were 40 yards away and 40-50ft tall.  Prior to this renovation, tress engulfed the greens.  I don't feel sorry for courses that loss greens due to stupidity and beautification.  

MV #8 removed tons of trees for this reason.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:49:45 AM by BCowan »

Carl Johnson

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 10:40:02 AM »
Carl,Brian

I've never played the course, but watching the shadows on TV, the course was engulfed with trees around the greens.  I have seen a course in Florida remove 3 trees to the right side of the green, it healed and there never was a problem after.  The Pine trees were 40 yards away and 40-50ft tall.  Prior to this renovation, tress engulfed the greens.  I don't feel sorry for courses that loss greens due to stupidity and beautification.  

MV #8 removed tons of trees for this reason.

General point well taken.  However, Johnny Harris wants to maintain Quail as a top notch tournament course.  Yes, they slipped up big time on the greens last year, but it's very unlikely that will happen again.  If shade is an issue, I think it will be taken care of pronto.

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 04:27:01 AM »

"All 18 of Quail Hollow’s greens were rebuilt, with contours softened and MiniVerde Bermuda replacing bent grass. More than 100 trees were removed from the course. Architect Tom Fazio, who was involved in the original renovation in ’03, oversaw the changes."
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/makeover-lengthens-quail-hollows-finishing-green-mile/

Carl Johnson

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 10:16:49 AM »

"All 18 of Quail Hollow’s greens were rebuilt, with contours softened and MiniVerde Bermuda replacing bent grass. More than 100 trees were removed from the course. Architect Tom Fazio, who was involved in the original renovation in ’03, oversaw the changes."
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/makeover-lengthens-quail-hollows-finishing-green-mile/

Something I'd be interested to know is where and why the more-than-100 trees were removed.  The new part of 16 went though a formerly-wooded area, so if they're counting those trees as part of the removal, then no big deal.  However, I assume that the more-than-100 trees were on existing holes, but I've seen nothing that makes it crystal clear, hole by hole.  USA Today reports: "And hundreds of trees lining fairways and around the greens were removed to increase air circulation and in the process improved sight lines for both players and spectators."  "Hundreds" is consistent with "more-than-100," although the latter implies something less than 200 (to me).

Dave McCollum

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 02:31:41 PM »
On Golf Channel they were talking this week about regrassing or rebuilding all of QH’s greens for the 2017 PGA.  Didn’t they do that just 2-3 years ago?  What’s the story? 

Matthew Essig

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 08:30:44 PM »
They are combining the par 4 1st and par 3 2nd into a par 5. Then the par 5 5th is being broke into a par 4 and par 3.

I don't know this for sure, but because 3 greens will be brand new, they will regrass all the greens for consistency?
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 08:40:23 PM »
They are combining the par 4 1st and par 3 2nd into a par 5. Then the par 5 5th is being broke into a par 4 and par 3.

I don't know this for sure, but because 3 greens will be brand new, they will regrass all the greens for consistency?

Yes. All greens being regrassed from Mini Verde to Champion.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 09:17:26 PM »

Wouldn't it be something if one year they chose a courses for a PGA or US Open,..........
and then just played it?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matthew Essig

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2016, 10:27:33 PM »

Wouldn't it be something if one year they chose a courses for a PGA or US Open,..........
and then just played it?

I wholeheartedly agree....
However, Oakmont this year.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2016, 07:56:02 AM »

From http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/other-sports/article60056111.html

"The work is scheduled to be done this summer when the putting surfaces are being switched from Mini Verde bermuda to Champion due to issues with the current grass."

What are the issues with the current grass? Mini Verde not high class enough for QH?

Scott Weersing

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2016, 09:51:28 AM »
I wonder why they did not put in Champion grass on the greens three years ago when they regressed the greens.

Pinehurst no. 2 has Champion, http://www.pinehurst.com/news/greens-pinehurst-2/

Why was Mini Verde thought to be better than Champion?

BHoover

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2016, 10:01:44 AM »
I noticed some darker green patches on some of the greens. Not sure what that would be, or if that is the greens issue referenced in the above article. Apparently the QH membership prefers a pure sward.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2016, 11:22:23 AM »
I noticed some darker green patches on some of the greens. Not sure what that would be, or if that is the greens issue referenced in the above article. Apparently the QH membership prefers a pure sward.

Its contaminated. Mini has been having this problem all over. New Supt has been successful with Champion.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:32:15 AM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back