News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Walston

Steve Lang

Re: Blaketree National Redesign by Tiger
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 07:42:03 PM »
 8) bye bye blaketree, mr coore and crenshaw's #1-11 were great, #12-18 by mr blake were very good mix and when conditioning was fast and firm, quite entertaining...

what the heck is a bluejack???  sounds fishy 
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 07:53:29 PM »
Considering Tiger's fortunes with golf course design so far, it's probably wise that they worded the press release this way:

"Bluejack National is scheduled to be the first golf course designed by Tiger Woods to open in the U.S." (emphasis added)

Bill Brightly

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 08:19:55 PM »
Do you think Tiger reads GCA.COM?

Say what you want about Tiger, but he is a bright guy with a pretty decent understanding of the history of the game. Maybe he'll surprise us! I would love to see Ran post a Feature Interview with him...

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 08:29:49 PM »

Say what you want about Tiger, but he is a bright guy with a pretty decent understanding of the history of the game. Maybe he'll surprise us! I would love to see Ran post a Feature Interview with him...

There is very little upside to Tiger being interviewed by GCA even though I for one would like to hear his opinion on Golf Course Design. 

Josh Tarble

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
No idea on any of the background of the course, but the press release description sounds fantastic. Obviously it is to be determined what goes in the ground but sounds really cool at this point.

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »
 8)  I would assume Tiger wants to also better Jack N in course design...

p.s. Tiger, if you do read gca.com and are in Montgomery Co. again, IM me and we'll show you around...

p.s.s  Also, please save Blaketree's #3-5 & 7 & 10...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Greg Clark

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 10:25:01 PM »
Pretty big initial splash for Abbott, Paulson and Beacon Land.  I believe they just started the venture.  I look forward to seeing what they do.  Lots of money in Houston right now.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 03:27:35 AM by Greg Clark »

Greg Tallman

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 10:40:25 PM »
Abbot will have no trouble getting the atmosphere and service aspects nailed. Obviously sounds like Augusta like aspirations in terms of the feel of the course... The club will be a bit more new millennium oriented. Best of luck to all involved.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 12:25:25 PM »
"The turf will be maintained at a single height of fairway cut, the under growth will be cleared and the forest floor will be covered with pine straw, making it easy to find and play wayward shots," Woods said.

I like the sound of that!         
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Lou_Duran

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 12:52:55 PM »

There is very little upside to Tiger being interviewed by GCA even though I for one would like to hear his opinion on Golf Course Design. 

I once asked Ben Crenshaw to do this and that was his take.  He said that golf architecture is all about opinion and preference and doing an interview on gca.com would be too controversial.  Bill Coore doesn't seem to share his sentiments with giving interviews, though, like Ben, he manages to avoid controversy.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 01:32:40 PM »
On Geoff's site, there's an informative reader comment with a good historical account of the course and its history. Scroll down 3/4 way to comment by Tom Kirkendall that starts:

"Despite the over-the-top press release, this project actually has very good potential for success...."

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2014/4/30/tiger-woods-to-redesign-blaketree-national-in-houston.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

JWL

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 04:03:30 PM »
Lots of reasons why this has a very good chance for great success.   North side of Houston has some exciting things in the near horizon with Exxon and Shell.   Timing of the venture is actually quite good for the Houston market.
I am actually going to make a visit to the site next week and check out the offering.   I have several reasons why I may be relocating to the Houston area in the next couple of years, which would coincide with all the new developments, including BlueJack National.
(BTW....BlueJack Oak is a small oak tree found on tops of sandy, dry environments and is in the Red Oak family.  Similar to BlackJack Oak.   Pointed leaves void of lobes unlike most oak trees with rounded leaves and lobes.)

Steve Lang

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 09:33:23 AM »
 8) JWL

Will be very happy to see the course come back and am glad someone is investing money there, andif they're smart will not destroy the heart of the routing, but I have to be skeptical about the scope of development and its long term financial prospects.  The PR is more over-the-top than the snob appeal used to sell Carlton Woods.. "you deserve the lifestyle.."  This is rural area transitioning, nice if you like to raise/ride horses..

Yes 10,000 Exxon employees on the south flank of The Woodlands will have an impact, but I have to believe the top guys will simply camp out at Carlton Woods, middle mgt and lower at The WCC.   All will look for short 10-15 minute commutes or less off I-45, Hardy Toll Road, or The Grand Parkway being built.  Many will live in the adjacent new Springwoods development.  

Bluejack location is a good 30 minutes from the Woodlands, which is 45 miniutes from downtown Houston
One could commute from Lake Conroe easier, and at Bentwater play Grand Pines, Weiskoff and Miller courses... likely better value proposition
The Miller Course at Bentwater is all one height cut

I wonder how they'll control the wild hogs that tore up the 8th fairway?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:06:27 AM by Steve Lang »
The voice of Inverness"

Steve Lang

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 09:33:29 PM »
 8)

Some but not all of the best saved, several holes reversed, some parts saved, some new holes, more walking between green to tee...  

Old routing

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 10:40:42 PM by Steve Lang »
The voice of Inverness"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 10:03:54 PM »
Can't tell much about the routing's pros or cons since I don't know the topo.

Interesting how many L-shaped greens there are.

I like the curved centerline at the 5th green, curious to see how it is achieved in the field.

What's the status of construction?  Will there be enough built to include it in my next book?

Steve Lang

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 10:54:51 PM »
 8) Tom,

60-70 feet of elevation change there

5th green is at a low point, plenty of water going by there on way to lake to north, including overflow from existing lake

there have been some news clips and they've gotten Supt from Carlton Woods to join up..

Just very interested from the Woodlands... was favorite outside play for many years..  I have asked then why they show the view of old 10th which is not in the plans shown.

What's your deadline to include??
The voice of Inverness"

Ben Baldwin

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 01:46:04 PM »

I like the curved centerline at the 5th green, curious to see how it is achieved in the field.

What's the status of construction?  Will there be enough built to include it in my next book?

Tiger's Facebook page posted some pictures of him onsite this morning...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154749842125121.1073741835.164825930120&type=1

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 02:05:46 PM »

They've been working hard on it for a couple of months now.
Sodding zoysia, so they are not tied to a sprig calendar.
I don't know your deadline but I'm sure you would see some golf holes by next spring.

From what I've heard, they are not moving much dirt.

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Keith Kirkendall

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 12:03:33 PM »
Steve, thanks for the posts.  I was a longtime member of Blaketree, and I miss it sorely every day.  I am quite suspect of what's going on out there, but mostly because I feel like they're desecrating my baby.

From what I have been told (and it's tough to be sure based on the routing maps), they're not using the front 9 at all.  The back 9 is where the short course is going.  The new course is going on the property behind & to the left of where 10 green used to be.

I wish Google Maps would get updated satellite pictures so I could do some more snooping.

Edit:  a memento in my garage...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:16:09 PM by Keith Kirkendall »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 08:28:02 AM »
Heavily produced promotional video featuring Tiger and a guy who wears a sweater in Texas summer:

http://seventysevenfilms.com/bjn-firstlook-1/
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:30:15 AM by Howard Riefs »

Paul Jones

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 09:23:11 AM »
Looking at the Master Plan - I really like how the houses are positioned on the outside of the course - http://www.bluejacknational.com/master-plan/
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

K Rafkin

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 11:24:48 PM »
Heavily produced promotional video featuring Tiger and a guy who wears a sweater in Texas summer:

http://seventysevenfilms.com/bjn-firstlook-1/

The sweater guy is absolutely hilarious.  And here i thought you there wasn't a way to use the word "humbly" in texas with a pink sweater draped over your shoulders.

and Paul--- I agree its incredibly rare to see a new housing development course like this being built without the mentality that routes the course though as many homesites as possible to raise property values.

Howard Riefs

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back