News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stephen Davis

I searched and found an old thread that looked like it got severely sidetracked, so I figured I would start a new thread. Four Mile Ranch Golf Course is a Jim Engh design in Canon City, CO (pronounced Canyon City). It is likely to be a very polarizing golf course, due to the blind shots, pronounced undulations and multiple punchbowls. However, it is a course that I find to be extremely enjoyable to play and one that is a great value. I will say that when friends come to town (I live in Colorado Springs) and want to play golf, this is the place I take them. It is a course that is extremely different than almost anything they have played before.

Hole 1, Par 4, Black 418 yards, Blue 379 yards

Hole 2, Par 5, Black 604 yards, Blue 535 yards

Hole 3, Par 3, Black 203 yards, Blue 162 yards

Hole 4, Par 4, Black 374 yards, Blue 305 yards

Hole 5, Par 4, Black 402 yards, Blue 352 yards

Hole 6, Par 5, Black 563 yards, Blue 529 yards

Hole 7, Par 3, Black 160 yards, Blue 140 yards

Hole 8, Par 4, Black 353 yards, Blue 307 yards

Sorry, I forgot to get other pictures of this hole.

Hole 9, Par 4, Black 430 yards, Blue 395 yards

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:42:14 AM by Stephen Davis »

Andrew Buck

Re: Four Mile Ranch Golf Course (Canon City, CO) Photo Tour Front 9
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 11:35:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing, those greens look like quite the adventure.  Would certainly value knowing where to leave yourself, and being able to execute on those approaches. 

Stephen Davis

Re: Four Mile Ranch Golf Course (Canon City, CO) Photo Tour
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 11:41:55 AM »
Hole 10, Par 4, Black 398 yards, Blue 327 yards

Hole 11, Par 5, Black 544 yards, Blue 524 yards

Sorry, I didn't get a tee shot or FW shot of this hole. It is an uphill, dogleg left, par 5 into a raised green.

Hole 12, Par 3, Black 166 yards, Blue 160 yards

Hole 13, Par 4, Black 482 yards, Blue 413 yards

Hole 14, Par 3, Black 217 yards, Blue 157 yards

Hole 15, Par 5, Black 579 yards, Blue 521 yards

Hole 16, Par 4, Black 402 yards, Blue 364 yards

Hole 17, Par 3, Black 172 yards, Blue 143 yards

Hole 18, Par 5, Black 586 yards, Blue 518 yards

Matthew Essig

Re: Four Mile Ranch Golf Course (Canon City, CO) Photo Tour Front 9
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 11:42:01 AM »
I LOVE the look from tee to green.

The green contours are, as Andrew said, adventurous; however, I agree with Stephen that punchbowls might be used too often.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:43:32 AM by Matthew Essig »
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Chris Wagner

Re: Four Mile Ranch Golf Course (Canon City, CO) Photo Tour All holes
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 02:17:18 PM »
Thank you for the photo tour, I've been meaning to get out there and play this course for a while. I have some friends that always enjoy playing it when their out that way. They have always told me how enjoyable the greens were and now I can see why.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 02:37:29 PM »
This was one of my discoveries a few years ago, and I have since gone back once (only spend one week a year in CO).

I thought it was great fun...no bunkers at all, amazing green contours, some of the distances mean little.  There are some great risk-reward shots, like going for the green on #15.  The punchbowl blind greens are large enough to be fun and playable.

My first round there I was actually -6 in my round on the 17th tee, but went bogey-bogey for a 68.

My one usual Engh gripe is that a couple of greens (#5, #17 at 4MR) on each of his courses are so severe that one cannot putt from one part to another and get anywhere near the hole if you end up on the wrong end of the green.  But...your miss must usually be quite huge to end up in that situation.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Steve_ Shaffer

Thanks for the tour. Someday I'll get there to continue my Engh tour of CO. Played Lakota Canyon and Pradera before Four Mile Ranch was built.

This course is a Matt Ward favorite.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

BCowan

Great photo tour.  thanks for taking the time to post

Mark McKeever

Thanks for sharing, the course looks really cool.    I could putt all day on those greens!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Brad Tufts

It actually plays plenty wide....and for the big miss, it plays like a desert course...you could be between two bushes with a clear shot, or you could be buried under one.

I thought it was cool that they used the shale-rock mounds in place of bunkers on a number of holes...I found the rock was soft enough that you could hit out of it if forced.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Stephen Davis

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 10:36:29 AM »
It actually plays plenty wide....and for the big miss, it plays like a desert course...you could be between two bushes with a clear shot, or you could be buried under one.

I thought it was cool that they used the shale-rock mounds in place of bunkers on a number of holes...I found the rock was soft enough that you could hit out of it if forced.

This is absolutley true. Shale rock is definitely playable and the course is plenty wide for the most part. The greens are very neat and are indeed a treat to play into and putt on. The same slopes that might funnel your ball close to a pin, will also make the 6 foot putt fairly tricky. Many of the par 3s give you the feeling that a hole in one is coming at any time.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 09:13:47 PM »
Those green sites look like great fun.

I went to their website.  They have simulated fly-overs of the holes.

They show a number of  small round bunkers scattered about on a few holes. Pot bunkers maybe.

I wonder if those were ever built?

I would think that this course would serve as a model for sustainability. Lots of native areas + no bunkers = low maintenance costs.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 09:39:57 PM »
Perhaps the absence of bunkers, particularly greenside, is well balanced by the extreme green contours.  It looks like a blast to me.

Would a player be advised to add an old W or 9iron to the bag for a 14th club for extracating from this shale, soft as you may advise?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

BCowan

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 09:57:13 PM »
I have heard that courses in higher elevation can't have bent fairways.  Do the rye grass fairways allow for a ground game?  My guess is yes due to lower humidity. 

Stephen Davis

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 12:00:51 AM »
Perhaps the absence of bunkers, particularly greenside, is well balanced by the extreme green contours.  It looks like a blast to me.

Would a player be advised to add an old W or 9iron to the bag for a 14th club for extracating from this shale, soft as you may advise?
It is definitely a good idea to carry a "rock" club if you are worried about singing up your irons.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 12:07:02 AM »
I have heard that courses in higher elevation can't have bent fairways.  Do the rye grass fairways allow for a ground game?  My guess is yes due to lower humidity. 
I don't actually know what the fairway grass is, but it definitely allows for run up shots.

Norbert P

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 01:33:41 PM »
This was one of my discoveries a few years ago, . . . .

I thought it was great fun...no bunkers at all, amazing green contours, . . .

Sounds and looks like another Colorado hidden gem.  The list is getting big for CO.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Mike Schott

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 03:38:25 PM »
Hi Stephen.

I can't see your pics. Photobucket says you are out of bandwidth.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 04:06:27 PM »
Hi Stephen.

I can't see your pics. Photobucket says you are out of bandwidth.

Thanks for letting me know. You should be able to see them now.
This was one of my discoveries a few years ago, . . . .

I thought it was great fun...no bunkers at all, amazing green contours, . . .

Sounds and looks like another Colorado hidden gem.  The list is getting big for CO.
It is a hidden gem and you are correct that Colorado has several of them. Most of them are hidden pretty good tough, since they are able to be spread out quite a bit.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 04:12:54 PM »
Stephen--
What time of year were these pictures taken?  Thanks for posting them.
Carl

Mike Schott

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 04:24:49 PM »
Thanks Stephen. Nice tour and very cool course.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 04:47:22 PM »
Stephen--
What time of year were these pictures taken?  Thanks for posting them.
Carl

Just checked the Metadata and we played on Oct 19th, 2013.

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2014, 01:05:59 AM »
Thanks Stephen. Engh's designs tend to be polarizing. I personally think Four Mile is pretty fun to play: I typically play it in the winter since it is in the Banana Belt of Colorado.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 05:28:10 AM »
Not sure how I missed this terrific photo tour when it was first posted but what a different looking US course. Appears to be pretty much inland-links type terrain. And some of the green contours, wow, I'd love to putt some of those greens.

Thanks Stephen for sharing with us.

For someone who hasn't played a lot of golf in the US this course throws a very different light on the kinda courses that do actually exist, not just the super green and lush fairways and greens we in other parts of the world are sometimes led to believe only exist by the golf media/publications etc, but something really rather different.

More photo tours of 'different' kinda courses would be great to see.

atb
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 06:06:56 AM by Thomas Dai »

Chris Wagner

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 10:05:06 AM »
I played here over the weekend and the course was in great shape firm and fast and the green fees were $35 with a cart. This course was very interesting and the first time around is a learning experience! I would recommend it to anyone in the area wanting a fun affordable round. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back