News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stephen Northrup

Fort Myers CC (Ross, 1917) closing until November
« on: April 17, 2014, 03:04:29 PM »
I haven't played it myself, but thought I'd pass along the news for those who have or might someday: http://www.news-press.com/story/sports/golf/2014/04/17/historical-golf-course-will-fort-ified/7805179/

Steve Smyers is doing the project -- it's his first major on a Ross course, per the story.

David Kelly

Re: Fort Myers CC (Ross, 1917) closing until November
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 04:02:31 PM »
Fort Myers CC has to rank high on the list of courses in which players have hit the most cars.  The 5th green is about 10 yards away from the busy Tamiami Trail and I remember that the hole was angled so that it looked like you were aiming right for the street.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 04:06:22 PM »
Fort Myers CC has to rank high on the list of courses in which players have hit the most cars.  The 5th green is about 10 yards away from the busy Tamiami Trail and I remember that the hole was angled so that it looked like you were aiming right for the street.

Nothing compared to the Iberostar course in the south end of Cancun... 2 or 3 holes in succession play alongside the very heavily travelled road. The road is on the right side and only a few yards off turf. If they were busy (do not recall ever seeing a player during my numerous visits) I imagine their would be multiple incidents per day. 

BCowan

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:17:55 PM »
Can't wait for it to be completed!  It gives me a reason to visit S Florida.

Daniel Jones

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 12:48:23 PM »
Has anyone played it since it reopened? Thinking about making a day-trip down to see it.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 12:59:46 PM »
Has anyone played it since it reopened? Thinking about making a day-trip down to see it.

Rob Collins and I played it on Saturday and were underwhelmed to say the least.  The new hole along Cleveland Ave is pretty awful but the 16th green was pretty good... 

I have no desire to play there again.

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 04:20:48 PM »
Played the front 9 only.  Took 3 hours to play so i left after 9.

Agree with Rees that the 5th hole is atrocious.  Greens had some fun to them but all in all, not something id seek out or recommend.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 04:47:05 PM »
Played the front 9 only.  Took 3 hours to play so i left after 9.

Agree with Rees that the 5th hole is atrocious.  Greens had some fun to them but all in all, not something id seek out or recommend.

The pace of play was awful, was ready to quit by the 12th hole.

Daniel Jones

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 05:26:19 PM »
Wow, that's a little disappointing to hear. My golf resolution in 2015 is to scratch off some of the Ross courses here in Florida I have yet to visit (which is most). Guess I'll start elsewhere.

Thanks for the feedback Rees & JC.

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 05:28:30 PM »
Did the work make it better or worse?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 10:15:23 AM »
I saw them working on it back in July when I was down there on our family vacation. I may be down there in late March, I may give it a go, but that pace of play is scary!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back