News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Does Auguata's 8th...
« on: April 13, 2014, 05:17:43 PM »
join the list of holes that have been significantly changed?  The hole originally appears to be straight-away.  Then the trees short and left of the green were extended toward the fairway.  Now it appears the tee has been moved to the right.  The net effect of those two changes have been to turn the hole into a double-dogleg. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sven Nilsen

Re: Does Auguata's 8th...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 05:33:23 PM »
1934 - 500 yards - The hole played 60 feet uphill to a punchbowl style green (similar to the 17th at Muirfield) that MacKenzie his with 9 to 12 foot high hillocks.  At its narrowest point, the green was only 20 feet wide, with a 45-degree turn to the left.

1957 - 520 yards - Supposedly Roberts loved the green at the 8th (nicknamed Jane Russell due to the mounds), but deemed it appropriate to knock down the hillocks for better spectator viewing.  The resulting figure-eight platform green had a vertical drop on all sides.  Bob Jones got angry at Roberts, telling him he was wrecking the course.  For the 1957 Masters, a sign near the green explained that the change was only temporary.

1958 - 530 yards - Cobb was called in after the '57 tournament to rebuild the green and recover the shape created by Mackenzie.  The result was a green flatter and wider than the original.  In place of the legendary mounds, Cobb built two ordinary bunkers because of Roberts' insistence on keeping clear sight lines for the patrons.  Cobb also filled in the old fairway cross bunker and created a new one farther out and to the right.

1980 - 530 yards - After Roberts died in 1977, the club asked Cobb to restore the green again.  When Cobb indicated he could not recall the original shape or contours, Byron Nelson stepped in with Joseph Finger to undertake the job.  He reestablished the punch-bowl green from memory and a few old photos, and even hand-raked the final contours.

2011 - 570 yards - Fazio rebuilt the green once again in 1997, creating a new back-right shelf for a Sunday pin 111 feet from the front and 18 from the right collar.  In 2001, he moved the tee back 20 yards and 10 yards to the right.  The fairway bunker was moved farther down the fairway, doubled in size and deepened, requiring a drive of 315 yards to clear.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Matthew Rose

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 08:36:16 PM »
Ironically, this hole seems to play as close to its original design as any on the course. It might be the only example I can think of where the club actually undid a significant change and restored a hole to an earlier design.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 09:21:05 PM »
Has the tee been shifted right or am I imagining things?
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
Has the tee been shifted right or am I imagining things?

Bogey:

Faldo I believe said it had been.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 10:26:38 PM »
My recollection is that the Masters tee is to the right (and well behind, of course) of where the members tee is. Not sure it creates that much a double dogleg, however. That bunker has always had that effect, to some extent.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back