News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Way

Walk-n-talk with Architects
« on: April 10, 2015, 10:38:03 PM »
I am on the Grounds Committee of a small, but very unique and cool, public course that is undergoing a turnaround after years of neglect.  We are starting slowly with improvements to the course, but have what I believe to be a great vision for the future.  We have reached the point where we need to several categories of expertise, including GCA. 

Two architects are coming out for an initial meeting and to walk the course in 10 days.  For those of you who have participated in these walking meetings, do you have any pearls of wisdom for how to make the time most productive?
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Tom_Doak

Re: Walk-n-talk with Architects
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 11:56:06 PM »
Jason:

If the architects are coming out on their own time [i.e. you're not paying them], then I would think you should really leave it up to them what they want to tell you, or not.  I can't tell you how many potential clients I used to get when I was younger who would just ask questions all day for free before they hired a bigger name ... it was a pretty frustrating time.

Martin Lehmann

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 02:42:52 AM »
Depending on the kind of improvements you want to achieve, you need a solid Masterplan. This plan should be the guideline for all the work done at the golf course. Especially if changes and improvements are made step-by-step over a longer period of time, the Masterplan gives direction to the process.

In my opinion, a golf course architect should have the lead in developing such Masterplan, in close co-operation with an agronomist and if necessary a landscape architect and/or a consultant in the field of environmental issues, permits et cetera. At least that is the approach we took as Greens Committee at our club. It takes a lot of time and effort before you get started, but in the end it really pays off.

The selection of the golf course architect is another thing that needs close attention. What's the nature and character of your golf course, in what direction do you want to go, do style and experience of the architect match with that? These questions should be answered before hiring or even inviting an architect. To often, the selection of an architect is made on the basis of hearsay, the work done at a course close-by or because he or she happens to be fashionable. it is like hiring an architect for renovating your house. if you have a cosy villa in traditional, classical style, you don't want to have an architect who is a dogmatic modernist (and the other way around).

In other words: for your own sake, and for the sake of the architect, you should have a clear picture where to go, before you go out for a walk on the golf course.

SL_Solow

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 08:08:25 AM »
When we interviewed architects after a major storm gave us the opportunity to recapture most of our 1921 Colt & Alison course, we had a decent idea of what we wanted.  Nonetheless, on the course tours, we resolved only to answer questions about the course so that we could learn what the architect thought.  We then asked for a written summary of what each would do.  Only then did we decide whether the conceptual framework along with the working style of the architect fit our needs.  It worked out quite well for us.  Happy to talk off line if you think it would be useful

Jason Way

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 06:53:46 PM »
Thank you for the feedback gents.  Much appreciated.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 01:17:50 AM »
Jason, your description of a cool, unique public course still leaves a question of how it is owned or deeded and organized.  Is it a municipally owned, or private owner daily fee, or not for profit club, open to public, etc.?   It seems to me that being on a committee is great and all, but what sort of entity or structure of organization has ultimate say on what gets done, how it is paid for and committee oversight?  Will the committee have broad authority to make hiring and approval of scope of work to be proposed and accepted?

I reckon those are questions the archie sure wants to know.  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 09:50:45 AM »
I am on the Grounds Committee of a small, but very unique and cool, public course that is undergoing a turnaround after years of neglect.  We are starting slowly with improvements to the course, but have what I believe to be a great vision for the future.  We have reached the point where we need to several categories of expertise, including GCA. 

Two architects are coming out for an initial meeting and to walk the course in 10 days.  For those of you who have participated in these walking meetings, do you have any pearls of wisdom for how to make the time most productive?
If you can share info, how did you decide which two Architects to invite for a tour?

Jason Way

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 10:22:03 AM »
Jason, your description of a cool, unique public course still leaves a question of how it is owned or deeded and organized.  Is it a municipally owned, or private owner daily fee, or not for profit club, open to public, etc.?   It seems to me that being on a committee is great and all, but what sort of entity or structure of organization has ultimate say on what gets done, how it is paid for and committee oversight?  Will the committee have broad authority to make hiring and approval of scope of work to be proposed and accepted?

I reckon those are questions the archie sure wants to know.  ;D

The ownership of the property is complicated, even by the standards of Chicago, IL.  The course is run by a non-profit association led by a volunteer board.

Jason Way

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 10:30:32 AM »

If you can share info, how did you decide which two Architects to invite for a tour?

One is an architect who I have gotten to know recently, and who has worked on a course I am very familiar with.  He has been keeping in close touch with me about the progress of our planning and initial work, and has been graciously offering his perspective.  He has other work in the area this season, and offered to stop by. 

The second is more focused on the build side and brings some intriguing resources to the table. 

I don't mean to be cagey about it, but this is all quite preliminary.  It just happened that our busy schedules coincided, so we are going to go for a walk.  Master Plan is in the works.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back