News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Warren

Daytona Beach area golf recommendations
« on: April 10, 2014, 01:21:11 PM »
It doesn't appear there is much in the way of recent recommendations about courses to play in the Daytona Beach area.  I will possibly be down there for a week in late June.  I know thats a pretty hot time, so let me know what you think about if I should even take the clubs due to the heat, and what type of recommendations you all have.

Joel_Stewart

Re: Daytona Beach area golf recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 11:44:26 AM »
My mother lived in Port Orange for years and I searched for good golf every time I visited her.  Sadly I came up with nothing.  It's basically housing communities with golf courses.  LPGA International was going to be the answer to TPC Sawgrass and is a huge missed opportunity thanks to Rees Jones.  Good luck.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 04:41:06 PM »
drive to Deltona Club and Victoria Hills.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jfaspen

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 08:32:07 AM »
New Smyrna municipal is a redone Ross that deserves a look. Definitely go see Victoria
Hills. I played Deltona before the renovations and thought it was a mix of interesting
And bland. I also played a course somewhat in the area called Black Bear which I enjoyed.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 03:38:10 PM »
Oceanside is a private club in Ormond Beach, just north of Daytona.....if you can get on there it is a fun links type course.
http://www.occ1907.com
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Adam Warren

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 06:23:04 PM »
Played the Ross at Daytona Beach GC.  Spoke on it in the other thread.  Largely uninteresting with slow greens.

I am going to play some more while I am here if any are interested.  Nothing is set yet and am open to suggestions.  PM me if interested. 

Considered the LPGA courses, though I believe one may have aerated greens in the last few weeks.  Also heard I may want to look at Riviera, Cypress Head, and New Smyrna is another Ross.  Also poem to traveling a bit, perhaps for Vic Hills or Deltona or something that is difficult to access like Hammock Beach or some private option. 

John_Conley

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 01:22:12 AM »
Adam, there are so many choices.  Not sure what conditions you'll find at some of these, or what you're willing to pay.

There are some great choices at Palm Coast:
1- Ocean Hammock (not sure what they call it now) is probably the best.  Michelle Wie won the womens APL here when she was 13. 
2- Watson course The Conservatory held a PGA Tour event when Ginn was in the sponsoring game.
3- Creek Club at Hammock Dunes is one of the most difficult courses I've played from the back tees with a lot of very difficult forced carries.
4- Grand Haven is kind of like #1 without the ocean.

LPGA:
5- Pass on the Rees Jones course, but you'll certainly enjoy the Art Hills

Private clubs around Daytona/Ormond:
6- Plantation Bay has two good courses.  I've never played Club de Bonmont, but have heard it is a full challenge.
7- Oceanside was mentioned.  It really should be called Oceannear, but the layout is pretty good.  A lot of history as it annually hosts the Sally.
8- Sugar Mill.  27 fun holes before the big-golf CCFAD modern era.  I've always liked it.
9- Venetian Bay is modern, but I haven't played it yet.  Looks well maintained from the road.

Cheap:
10- New Smyrna Beach's municipal is an enjoyable round now that it's been redone.
11- River Bend.  A TOTAL sleeper that you will really enjoy.  I played it this time last year and had a blast.

Worth the drive:
12- Walkabout.  Mims, about 45 min south.
13- The Deltona Club.
14- Victoria Hills.

Not worth the drive:
15- World Golf Village.
16- Daytona Beach municipal.  I know it is right there, but it looks pretty lousy from the road and you can do better.

Not sure how long you'll be here, but that list should be enough to get you through the stay.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 09:24:57 AM »
Adam, there are so many choices.  Not sure what conditions you'll find at some of these, or what you're willing to pay.

There are some great choices at Palm Coast:
1- Ocean Hammock (not sure what they call it now) is probably the best.  Michelle Wie won the womens APL here when she was 13. 
2- Watson course The Conservatory held a PGA Tour event when Ginn was in the sponsoring game.
3- Creek Club at Hammock Dunes is one of the most difficult courses I've played from the back tees with a lot of very difficult forced carries.
4- Grand Haven is kind of like #1 without the ocean.

LPGA:
5- Pass on the Rees Jones course, but you'll certainly enjoy the Art Hills

Private clubs around Daytona/Ormond:
6- Plantation Bay has two good courses.  I've never played Club de Bonmont, but have heard it is a full challenge.
7- Oceanside was mentioned.  It really should be called Oceannear, but the layout is pretty good.  A lot of history as it annually hosts the Sally.
8- Sugar Mill.  27 fun holes before the big-golf CCFAD modern era.  I've always liked it.
9- Venetian Bay is modern, but I haven't played it yet.  Looks well maintained from the road.

Cheap:
10- New Smyrna Beach's municipal is an enjoyable round now that it's been redone.
11- River Bend.  A TOTAL sleeper that you will really enjoy.  I played it this time last year and had a blast.

Worth the drive:
12- Walkabout.  Mims, about 45 min south.
13- The Deltona Club.
14- Victoria Hills.

Not worth the drive:
15- World Golf Village.
16- Daytona Beach municipal.  I know it is right there, but it looks pretty lousy from the road and you can do better.

Not sure how long you'll be here, but that list should be enough to get you through the stay.

I'll second River Bend in Ormond.

John, do you still reside in Orlando?

John_Conley

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 06:23:04 PM »
Yes, I live in Orlando.  Presently working in Jacksonville M-F.

Adam Warren

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 10:41:20 PM »
Due to some scheduling problems, I couldn't get to LPGA, and it was too far to drive for Hammock or VH and Deltona, so I ended up getting out to Smyrna and River Bend.  I did enjoy both courses.  Smyrna very typical Florida golf, but with some options.  River Bend was very NOT Florida golf.  You had to make decisions off the tee.  There was some width, but you could not miss too badly on some holes as they would roll up into the trees or bushy areas.  RB is better played a few times and learning the course, where Smyrna can be played fewer times to best determine the angle of attack. RB had some rough areas on the greens, perhaps just summer getting to them or maybe it is like that all the time.  Smyrna was in excellent condition. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back