News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Exactly, and that's why they build public courses that subscribe to Golfnow.com. Go play!!!

Oh come on, have a real conversation. There are two private clubs on Long Island that are Garden City-ish in my opinion. Reality is I am in Connecticut on weekends but I would love to join either one if they:

• Blew up the clubhouses
  • Turned them into golf clubs

Under the current structure, they will probably not last since I can play them almost anytime other than Saturday mornings via a reciprocal at a slight premium to Bethpage Black in terms of pricing.

Jud_T

Mike,

FYI- I agree with you.  We just may not agree with how we get there.  My contention is that it's the inexorable economic and demographic changes that we will continue to see over the balance of our lifetimes that will bring about change.  No amount of verbal regurgitation by naval gazing GCA futurists can speed up what Father Time has in store for us IMO.  We are definitely becoming more European, well beyond golf.  Of course this has it's own baggage,  both good and bad...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kavanaugh

Mike,

I don't see the issue in your life. You know for a fact that you can walk in any club in the country and get a better deal than what would be posted for public view. You have two choices, fellow members who are not afraid of interpersonal relationships or click and pick internet guys. What do you choose?

Mike Sweeney

Mike,

I don't see the issue in your life. You know for a fact that you can walk in any club in the country and get a better deal than what would be posted for public view. You have two choices, fellow members who are not afraid of interpersonal relationships or click and pick internet guys. What do you choose?

I already stated that I don't personalize this stuff for me. I love my golf life. I am just a guy who loves golf, not a rater, not looking for freebies, not looking for access (anymore :) ), not looking to make money off of golf....

I see the changes in the next generation in many phases of life outside of golf. I played Middle Bay CC on Long Island a few years back with Gib and we both were surprised at how we liked, not loved, this RTJ golf course. It is now on its 2nd re-opening this season:

http://www.southbaycountryclub.com

This was NOT one of the two courses that I referenced earlier, but it seems like it could be a nice Euro-style golf membership but they seem to be doing the updated 2nd tier country club model with "Catering" featured prominently on the menu before golf. Yes, Golfnow.com is more appealing to me on that one.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:11:39 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Sean_A

Mike

Do you think there is a certain stigma about privates that pushes some folks into thinking don't think they belong there?  Do you think publishing dues and entrance fees is one way to break down a barrier thats puts people off privates?  Why do you think the British style of golf membership hasn't taken off in the US? 

Its an interesting question about knowing the situation about privates in one's area.  I don't know the story about all the clubs around me.  I can take a good guess and probably be ball parking it pretty well for dues, but I wouldn't know about joining fees - that can be radically different even in the low brow area for golf that I live. 

Anyway, I think the point of publishing more data about membership fees and the process is one way struggling clubs can reach out for members.  I don't think anybody is saying it should be done across the board.  For me though, its very helpful because I don't want to talk to a suit over the phone just to get basic info on the club.  Its not much different when thinking about visiting a club.  If the info isn't on the website, I usually give that course a miss unless I know its one I really want to play.  In essence, I want my leisure time to be easily organized and any extra effort required to enjoy myself doesn't go over well with me.  I am sure there are swaths of younger folks who may take my line of thinking even further. 

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Phil McDade

Why do folks here (Sean, Jud, Sully) suggest private clubs that post detailed information on their membership costs are struggling, or hurting for membership? Maybe they are being run by people who recognize the Thurmans, Tucholskis, and Doxeys (and Sweeneys! ;)) of the world have a point, and greater transparency might actually be a good thing for a club (and even a marketing ploy for the under-45 set that will probably make or break a bunch of private clubs in the near term).

When I did a bit of digging on the five major clubs in my town, I found: detailed financial information on membership from two of them; and little to no information about the cost of memberships from the remaining three (with the least amount of information from the club I'd be most inclined to join -- sigh....). Dig far enough into one club's website, and you'll find the kind of pablum that could be said of any of thousands of clubs around the country: http://www.bishopsbay.com/_filelib/FileCabinet/FAQs/FAQs_for_website.pdf

Lou_Duran

• What you actually pay versus the other members/students is often similar to airline seating pricing, it varies

I am aware of your egalitarian bent, but if many private clubs are already having a problem competing, wouldn't posting joining fees and monthlies on the internet be counterproductive?  Do you play poker with all your cards showing?

Publishing sticker prices that no one pays invites haggling while possibly discouraging some who self-qualify solely on that basis.  If I was a manager responsible for the long term well-being of a club, I'd prefer the flexibility to cut deals based on its needs and each candidate's qualifications.  Not all prospective members are created equal, and nothing is probably more debilitating to the club's culture and daily vibe than to have a bunch of new members who everybody knows got in for pennies on the dollar (I know, I've been on both ends of this). 

Jason Thurman

The more I think about it, the clearer it is that the world is full of clubs that think they're Neapolitan Mastiffs when they're really Norfolk Terriers. Part of the allure of a Neapolitan is that it doesn't give a shit about little people, but terriers only thrive if they're friendly and welcoming, and they get put down if they're standoffish and borderline hostile. The US private club model has bred too many litters of terriers with distemper. The average club as we know it is doomed.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Keith Grande

I shudder to think about what the landscape will be 20 years from now.  How many courses will go the way of the Links Club?  This board will be littered with threads waxing poetic about the past, which could have been avoided.

Carl Nichols

• What you actually pay versus the other members/students is often similar to airline seating pricing, it varies

I am aware of your egalitarian bent, but if many private clubs are already having a problem competing, wouldn't posting joining fees and monthlies on the internet be counterproductive?  Do you play poker with all your cards showing?

Publishing sticker prices that no one pays invites haggling while possibly discouraging some who self-qualify solely on that basis.  If I was a manager responsible for the long term well-being of a club, I'd prefer the flexibility to cut deals based on its needs and each candidate's qualifications.  Not all prospective members are created equal, and nothing is probably more debilitating to the club's culture and daily vibe than to have a bunch of new members who everybody knows got in for pennies on the dollar (I know, I've been on both ends of this). 

I'm not aware of any club that cuts deals on a candidate-by-candidate basis--I'd be curious to know the ones that do.  Around here (in DC), clubs are always tweaking their initiation fees, incentives, etc., but if two people join the same day they get the same deal as each other--or at least that's the way it happens where I belong.  It might be different than the deal offered one year ago or one year from now, but today's deal is the same for everyone.  Of course, maybe I'm the one who got fleeced by paying sticker when I joined!

(On a related note, one of the relatively more contentious issues at my club arose from the fact that 25 or so years ago, the club was extending something like equity/refundable memberships to new members, as well as existing members who paid for the option.  There were thus two categories of "full" members--those who could leave and get their money back, and those who couldn't--and when the club decided to go back to non-equity/non-refundable memberships only, that created some tension as equity members started leaving.) 

Jud_T

Phil,

Do you find at least a little irony in the fact that the club you'd be most likely to join doesn't post fees?  Do you honestly have no clue as to what the rough costs are?  Why is that the one you'd most want to join?  Best course, membership, location, amenities?  How would them posting their fees affect your desire to join, unless the prices were radically different than your initial ballpark figure?  Do you know any members of this club?  You don't strike me as the type who's too timid to ask a couple of pertinent questions of them if you were serious about joining.  

It seems it varies greatly by location.  While I'm generalizing, clubs in good standing in major metro areas, as a rule, don't post prices.  For instance, so far I've found 1 club of dozens in the Chicago area that lists a corporate membership price.  I'm flabbergasted that guys seem to have no idea of what the costs are.  That means 1) you've never belonged to a private club and 2) you don't socialize or work with many people who belong to a private club and 3) you've played very few private clubs and 4) you aren't serious about joining anyway.  Guys (not Phil ) are falling all over themselves defending the rights of clubs to exclude whoever they want and trotting out freedom of association rights in First Amendment cases on one hand, yet at the same time get their panties in a bunch if the same club doesn't post the locker and range ball fee on their website?  Give me a break.  CLUBS ARE NOT FAILING BECAUSE THEY DON'T POST PRICING FOR EVERYONE TO SEE.  Rant over...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:54:01 AM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Sweeney

Lou states:

I am aware of your egalitarian bent, but if many private clubs are already having a problem competing, wouldn't posting joining fees and monthlies on the internet be counterproductive?  Do you play poker with all your cards showing?

1. Just trying to help out the sons of immigrants!  :D

2. When you play poker, it is with a fixed number of players. Private clubs have a shrinking number of players.

Lou states:

Publishing sticker prices that no one pays invites haggling while possibly discouraging some who self-qualify solely on that basis.  If I was a manager responsible for the long term well-being of a club, I'd prefer the flexibility to cut deals based on its needs and each candidate's qualifications.  Not all prospective members are created equal, and nothing is probably more debilitating to the club's culture and daily vibe than to have a bunch of new members who everybody knows got in for pennies on the dollar (I know, I've been on both ends of this).  

As I mentioned earlier, the original private clubs that started to publish sticker prices are private universities. At one point in time, Harvard was all-white male basically WASP and guys named Sweeney and Duran were sent packing to Chestnut Hill (BC) and Amherst (UMass, not Amherst College). Now Harvard is one of the most diverse clubs in the world, and seems to be doing pretty well and very few are paying the same price:

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/05/economic-diversity-at-harvard-cont/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

People need to understand that golf, education, politics and many other seemingly "social causes/events/organizations" are businesses with a P&L. If I was a club manager, I would follow Harvard's lead rather than the City Athletic Club:

http://www.squashtalk.com/html/columns/junjulaug02/diner-2002-7.htm

"the loss of the City Athletic Club doubles court and of the highly-respected institution itself constitute a heavy psychological blow, on both a squash and a social level, and provide yet another sobering and cautionary reminder of time's relentless passage."

Back to work on MY P&L :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 11:14:02 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Phil McDade

Phil,

Do you find at least a little irony in the fact that the club you'd be most likely to join doesn't post fees?  Do you honestly have no clue as to what the rough costs are?  Why is that the one you'd most want to join?  Best course, membership, location, amenities?  How would them posting their fees affect your desire to join, unless the prices were radically different than your initial ballpark figure?  Do you know any members of this club?  You don't strike me as the type who's too timid to ask a couple of pertinent questions of them if you were serious about joining.  

It seems it varies greatly by location.  While I'm generalizing, clubs in good standing in major metro areas, as a rule, don't post prices.  For instance, so far I've found 1 club of dozens in the Chicago area that lists a corporate membership price.  I'm flabbergasted that guys seem to have no idea of what the costs are.  That means 1) you've never belonged to a private club and 2) you don't socialize or work with many people who belong to a private club and 3) you've played very few private clubs and 4) you aren't serious about joining anyway.  Guys (not Phil ) are falling all over themselves defending the rights of clubs to exclude whoever they want and trotting out freedom of association rights in First Amendment cases on one hand, yet at the same time get their panties in a bunch if the same club doesn't post the locker and range ball fee on their website?  Give me a break.  CLUBS ARE NOT FAILING BECAUSE THEY DON'T POST PRICING FOR EVERYONE TO SEE.  Rant over...

Jud:

This is all an intellectual exercise for me; I cannot see any circumstances in the next decade where I would join a club locally. On the other hand, if I were to consider it (as I mentioned earlier in this thread), I don't think I'd have too much trouble finding out enough details of a particular club to get a decent idea of what I was getting into.

But your current residence and mine I think are pretty good test cases for Sweeney's original query. Madison certainly doesn't have the kind of quality (GCA speaking ;)) private clubs that you'd find in Philly, Chicago or Westchester County. But it has five private clubs of varying quality, three of which I'd be happy to play regularly as a club member. What this area does have is the kind of thing Tom Doak mentioned -- a large number of daily fee courses that surely compete against the privates as a choice for golfers in the area (that weren't around 25 years ago). And Wisconsin has a bunch of high-quality CCFADs (with more to come ;)) that provide a top-flight experience -- both in the golf quality and overall amenities -- that are another layer of competition for the privates around here. A relatively golf-centric person moving to Madison has to weigh all of that in deciding whether or not s/he wants to join a club. I'm glad to see there are at least a couple of local clubs that seem to recognize that, and provide some financial details at the click of a button.

Chicago seems even more of a case for doing so: a bunch (really, quite a lot...) of quality privates, a public golf scene that seems somewhat indifferent, and a CCFAD landscape that is mixed ((Harborside and Thunderhawk? I'll take Bonnie Brook; we'll both take Spring Valley, arguably a suburb if you stretch the definition.... :o). So what's Thurman or Doxey to do when he gets promoted to a job in Chicago that affords him the opportunity to join a club? OK, it doesn't take a genius to figure out he's not getting into Chicago GC or Old Elm for a while. But how to distinguish among the others? You and I might know the differences pretty well (as would Thurman), but we're geeks and therefore outliers; what about the guy who just wants to join a club for all the right reasons, but doesn't want to waste his investment on what might turn out to be the wrong choice? Might providing some kind of public information be worth it in the long run for some clubs?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 11:33:03 AM by Phil McDade »

Lou_Duran

I'm not aware of any club that cuts deals on a candidate-by-candidate basis--I'd be curious to know the ones that do.

(On a related note, one of the relatively more contentious issues at my club arose from the fact that 25 or so years ago, the club was extending something like equity/refundable memberships to new members, as well as existing members who paid for the option.  There were thus two categories of "full" members--those who could leave and get their money back, and those who couldn't--and when the club decided to go back to non-equity/non-refundable memberships only, that created some tension as equity members started leaving.) 

It is less common in DFW today than it was two to three years ago, but I am aware of different deals being cut right now at "needy" clubs, even at places that swear that such is not happening.  The problem as you note is exemplified in an excellent area club which offered a special, limited access deal to get new people to try it with the hope that enough would step up to the full membership level.  It was mispriced (no joining fee, starting at $59/month), and it totally alienated the existing membership, many who paid $10k+ to join, and $500+/month.  Though the program was restructured and most of the 250 or so "$59 members" (as the old guard called them) are gone, I have reports that the relative few who have ponied up to full membership still get the cold shoulder.

So what's Thurman or Doxey to do when he gets promoted to a job in Chicago that affords him the opportunity to join a club? OK, it doesn't take a genius to figure out he's not getting into Chicago GC or Old Elm for a while. But how to distinguish among the others? You and I might know the differences pretty well (as would Thurman), but we're geeks and therefore outliers; what about the guy who just wants to join a club for all the right reasons, but doesn't want to waste his investment on what might turn out to be the wrong choice? Might providing some kind of public information be worth it in the long run for some clubs?

It comes down to how much you want to join a club and the amount of due diligence you are willing to do.  Unless the cost of joining and remaining are nominal- in which case you know that there is likely a problem with the club and/or the local economy- the best method I've found is to talk to a variety of existing members and to carefully evaluate what they have to say.  Clubs in difficult circumstances might consider trial periods- one upscale CC locally deferred the joining fee for one year, allowing the new member to evaluate if the club suited his needs.  The economy doing very well currently, the club no longer offers that option and my proposal for a shorter term to another club I was interested in pursuing was rejected.  In most places, I suspect that Jason would have little trouble gathering the information he needs in short order to evaluate a joining opportunity.

Mike Sweeney-

It is because I do understand that these organizations are businesses that I don't want to tie their hands with unreasonable, unreliable requirements or expectations.  What good is knowing that the tuition sticker at Harvard is $50k if it doesn't reflect what a great number of students who get in actually pay?  Doesn't projecting an incorrect estimate of cost (or value) defeat the benefits of transparency?  Double Keystone a product to then offer a 50% discount is hardly beneficial to the consumer unless he values psychic rewards (he thinks he got a great deal) more than hard cash in his pocket.  As to diversity, we can have a long discussion about its costs and benefits another time, another place.   

SL_Solow

No time to post in depth but I can assure you that there are no "special deals" at our place.  Nor are we an ultra elite club with a long waiting list.  Our members also see the financials every year
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:18:45 PM by SL_Solow »

JC Jones

Mike Sweeney, et. al.,

It's a matter of money and value, only.  You can continue to try and obfuscate and draw up straw men but the people who have posted on this site from the generation you old people are trying understand are telling you it's an economic issue.  Certainly there are some ancillary issues but THE issue is money and whether the person sees a value in spending the money.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Keith Grande

The private club isn't just selling golf, they're selling a lifestyle.  But, it's still a 'business", for the club and prospective member/consumer.

John Kavanaugh

Mike Sweeney, et. al.,

It's a matter of money and value, only.  You can continue to try and obfuscate and draw up straw men but the people who have posted on this site from the generation you old people are trying understand are telling you it's an economic issue.  Certainly there are some ancillary issues but THE issue is money and whether the person sees a value in spending the money.

Then why do they post here that they would join if the could just click and pick from their couch?

JC Jones

JK,

They wouldn't join, they just want to know the information.  If they were serious about joining they wouldn't create imaginary barriers.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

SL_Solow

JC;   Well put.  Quite simply, their appear to be many who either don't buy into the value proposition and/or would like to belong to/play the courses but can't afford it.  Accordingly, they challenge the premise upon which the clubs are built.  If enough people maintain that view for a long enough period, some clubs will fold.  the unanswered question is whether a model will evolve to allow the courses to survive and provide the kind of golf that the same people expect?  Perhaps we will evolve to a more european model with less exclusivity, lower maintenance standards etc.  Alternatively, we may just have fewer golf courses.  I suspect it will be some of both.  Much depends on the state of the economy over the long term.

BCowan

Phil,

Jud,

Take Toledo a small market.  The privates don't post their fees either.  Who is advocating club's must post their fees by using the gov't as a means???  It is one aspect that has do to with clubs failing!!!  Maint is one of the other biggies, as is FAMILY MEMBERSHIP MODEL instead of INDIVIDUAL MODEL.  You state that if clubs post their fees then they are failing, which is a blanket statement.  I qualify for all 4 of your criteria..  Go compare the Australia and English models to America (private clubs).  I'd be happy to compare Australia's top course fees with most of the top US 100 fees.   

JC Jones

I'm not sure the English model is one that would work here.  I think we want some sort of exclusivity and don't want to share the course with daily fee people.  Many courses already have a quasi-English model, in the form of the season pass.

BCowan

I'm not sure the English model is one that would work here.  I think we want some sort of exclusivity and don't want to share the course with daily fee people.  Many courses already have a quasi-English model, in the form of the season pass.

JC,

Take the Australia model.  Please explain the English private model, i didn't know that the public was allowed on Sat morning?  What if that exclusivity is hanging on by it's chin and is a great course that could potentially end up a housing development?  Due to inability of old folk (who make the rules) to adjust or open up their eyes to another model?  Season passes are offered at public US courses with no restricted times for those season pass members (so it is pointless).  

BCowan

I am aware of your egalitarian bent, but if many private clubs are already having a problem competing, wouldn't posting joining fees and monthlies on the internet be counterproductive?  Do you play poker with all your cards showing?

Lou,

You are all over the place.  Don't you advocate prices for healthcare, yet when it come to private golf you use Poker as an example??  What a laugh.  

JESII

Why do folks here (Sean, Jud, Sully) suggest private clubs that post detailed information on their membership costs are struggling, or hurting for membership? Maybe they are being run by people who recognize the Thurmans, Tucholskis, and Doxeys (and Sweeneys! ;)) of the world have a point, and greater transparency might actually be a good thing for a club (and even a marketing ploy for the under-45 set that will probably make or break a bunch of private clubs in the near term).

Phil,

My earlier comment about Maple Bluff struggling wasn't based on them posting their prices online, it was based on them offering zero initiation fee and zero dues for several months.

Regarding the posting of dues and ancillary costs online, I suspect it will increase but will have no impact on the clubs health.

Will one of you guys that think it's valuable (necessary even) please explain how having costs online makes it more likely for you to join a club?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back